Subject: Recommendations - Limited Budget rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, I have $30 in Amazon.com credit, so I am going to be making an order. My wife wants to get the next expansion of Munchkin (Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe - $15.64.) I am trying to find a good, family friendly game(s) for around $14 to finish out the order (so it can qualify for the "Free Super Saver" shipping.) The game would also have to cater to up to 5 players.

We typically play games with our kids, aged 6 - 10, but they all seem to grasp the concepts of all of the games we have (including Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, and Munchkin.)

EDIT: Also, do any of the Munchkin Boosters require previous expansions?

Thanks for any recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Qwirkle, but it only takes four. One person could cheer?

For our reference, I think this link should be the games that cost $1-16 in "Strategy & War":

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_36_5?bbn=166220011&qid=1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a co-op game with mechanics very similar to Pandemic but is more family friendly, is easier to setup and plays faster. I would also say its more fun and thematic than Pandemic, but that's a whole 'nother thread. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. If there were a few dollars more that would open things up a bit,* but I'll recommend:

Colossal Arena

It plays well with three to four and can be stretched to five. It's $15.96 on my Amazon screen. It's a fun Knizia game of betting on which monsters will emerge victorious and adding cards to help your bets and hinder those of others. It's very easy to pick up and play quickly but can be as deep as the players want it to be. It's family friendly, too (there's a "daemon" card which can be easily swapped out without an impact on the game if that makes anyone squeamish).

Have fun!

*I won't bother trying to talk you out of getting Munchkin in favor of something else if your wife wants it. If she's willing to play board games with you, she gets the games she wants as far as I'm concerned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Forbidden Island is a co-op game with mechanics very similar to Pandemic but is more family friendly, is easier to setup and plays faster. I would also say its more fun and thematic than Pandemic, but that's a whole 'nother thread. whistle

I had this one exactly in mind but it only accommodates a maximum of four players. Of course, this is the official player maximum; I haven't looked into whether it could play more than that in variant play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

*I won't bother trying to talk you out of getting Munchkin in favor of something else if your wife wants it. If she's willing to play board games with you, she gets the games she wants as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for the recommendations, and there is a small amount of wiggle room, I can probably float a few bucks if I have to.

I did want to address your Munchkin statement though. She actually has enjoyed every board game I have purchased so far, but we have played so many games of Munchkin that we are beginning to know what is coming up in the deck and it is getting a bit stale, and we kind of want to add a bit of flavor to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit is $22 and is highly enjoyed by our whole family, kids aged 8, 10 and 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
Dixit is $22 and is highly enjoyed by our whole family, kids aged 8, 10 and 13.

Thanks for the recommendation. It is a bit out of my range though, but thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that price there isn't much I can recommend. However, if you are willing to spend just a tad more, I would go with For Sale. Works great with all age ranges and is super easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
5 players at 15 bucks.... Glory to Rome

Bohnanza is another great suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto and Monopoly Deal Card Game would work great and they seem to be the right price too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be warned that Citadels, which I would have suggested, may have some art you might not find "kid-appropriate". (Nude fairies, corpses, maybe torture IIRC).

You want Oltre Mare.

$8.99 on Amazon. Total Bargain...

you can even get a book you want to get your free ship...

(I'll even throw in a book recommendation for your kids: Larklight, by Philip Reeve, $7.99 on Amazon. Sorry to put you out a couple bucks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I will likely get something closer to the $18 range, as there is more games that look appealing in that range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm counting pennies on a purchase, I always check out the Warehouse Deals section of Amazon.

Forbidden Island is just $11 on Warehouse Deals right now, still counts toward the free shipping.

Dixit is $19 and change

Axis and Allies 1942 is $22 (though may not fit with your request)

Pit is $11

Always worth looking through. Got Castle Panic for $20 last week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
When I'm counting pennies on a purchase, I always check out the Warehouse Deals section of Amazon.

Forbidden Island is just $11 on Warehouse Deals right now, still counts toward the free shipping.

Dixit is $19 and change

Axis and Allies 1942 is $22 (though may not fit with your request)

Pit is $11

Always worth looking through. Got Castle Panic for $20 last week.

Cool, I didn't even think of that, I will check that out as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alrighty, I am leaning towards either For Sale or Colossus Arena, any for or against on these, or possibly more suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale is far superior to Colossal Arena, especially as a family game. Rules in For Sale are simple and quick to grasp. The game is straightforward and fun, and really great with non-gamers too.

Colossal Arena is more of a gambling game where you have to place bets on the outcomes of battles between various beasts. It's not very kid friendly in my opinion, and more complex. Colossal Arena is NOT about battles; it's about BETTING on battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teloric wrote:
For Sale is far superior to Colossal Arena, especially as a family game. Rules in For Sale are simple and quick to grasp. The game is straightforward and fun, and really great with non-gamers too.

Colossal Arena is more of a gambling game where you have to place bets on the outcomes of battles between various beasts. It's not very kid friendly in my opinion, and more complex. Colossal Arena is NOT about battles; it's about BETTING on battles.

I recommended Colossal Arena but I have no problem seeing how someone would agree with these observations; I think they're fair. I haven't played For Sale but it does look like it would be a better "family game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gleason
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Teloric wrote:

I recommended Colossal Arena but I have no problem seeing how someone would agree with these observations; I think they're fair. I haven't played For Sale but it does look like it would be a better "family game."

Alright. Thanks both of you for your opinions. I am just really cautious of what to get. I've been looking at several games, including those two, and just can't decide.

I've also looked at Oltre Mare and Bohnanza, but they essentially look like the same game or very similar to say the least.

Thanks again for the advice though guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.