Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the lack of pictures, which came from a mix-up with the batteries for my camera.

I played two games of Dungeon Command on Wednesday evening, taking the Cormyr force both times. The first game was against Sarah, and we played a fast game of about 30 minutes. Most of my other games have been more in the range of 50-60 minutes, but Sarah and I have played a wide range of games together and she's very good at picking up new rules.

Our Dungeon Command games have generally followed a particular pattern: one player gets an early advantage, and then the other player - who is able to play fresh creatures - is able to come back into the game. There have been exceptions to this, mainly when I've gained a position that my opponent hasn't been able to breach, but it actually makes the game very enjoyable: you rarely feel like you're out of the game.

The big move this game was that I was able to play my Human Ranger "Behind Enemy Lines", bring it back to my starting area, and thus gain 3 morale (while killing a couple of Shaun's creatures on the way). This gave me the boost I needed to win.

The second game was against Shaun (who has now bought the game based on this play). I, again, had the early advantage, and all was looking pretty good when I sent my Copper Dragon off in search of easy kills.

It didn't find any - instead it found three of Shaun's creatures ganging up to (first) tap it, then hit it with a Sneak Attack for 100 damage, and finally doing 20 damage with a final attack to eliminate it. I hadn't seen that coming, and it was great! I'd been cocky in leaving the dragon unsupported, and Shaun had taken advantage of that.

I had to play more conservatively for the rest of the game. Shaun gained a lot of morale from keeping some of his creatures looking for treasure, and used the extra morale to save his Umber Hulk from dying: he'd cower it and lose morale rather than take the hit. This was at its best when I used an attack that did 30 damage and untapped my creature... if I dealt damage with the attack. Cowering negated the untapping, and the Umber Hulk dealt a lot of damage to my forces in return.

Eventually, I was down to one morale whilst Shaun remained on five - the game was very much in his favour, but I was able to play a "Shove Aside" card to slide my War Wizard three squares in the right direction (normally, the card is used on the opponent's creatures). This allowed me to reach Shaun's very damaged Drider and slay it. With one other smaller creature in range, that was enough to win the game. Just. With one morale point left!

I don't subscribe to the theory that this game doesn't have tension: the more I play it, the more I am liking it. Not knowing what cards are in your opponent's hand requires thinking play, as does the entire business of manoeuvring about the map. Initial games might have played as "charge into battle and attack", but the game rewards more subtle play than that. I still haven't been able to test the warband-building aspect of the game, that should occur this weekend.

My full review of the game will appear early next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report, thanks for sharing (again!)... that was pretty neat about the dragon, it is nice to see that there are going to be a lot of things you are not going to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duncan easton
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone looking at these sessions reports who hasn't bought the game I would have to say they give a very good sense of what the game is about. I agree about the tension. One has to factor in what an opponent may be able to do with cards in hand which introduces a great bluffing element. In 6 of the 7 games I've had, the winner had 3 or less morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
theo van den eijnden
Netherlands
gemert
noord-brabant
flag msg tools
mb
First I would like to say a big Thanks for these great session reports.
After reading the first 3 sessions I ordered the 2 sets myself and gladly enough 1 online shop over here had them in stock.
So the next day I got my 2 sets and I have to say everything just looks awesome.
After reading the rule book twice we started playing and discovering the game.
Everything in the rulebook made sense and felt well explained in detail.
We ended up with 1 question and that 1 question was answered here and on the WoTC forum.
I really like how the game plays and all the options you have with order cards and other actions. I'm glad there are no dice in this game imo that could only hurt the tactical play.
Understanding the rules is very important because playing it wrong will ruin this great game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreaming_idiot wrote:
To anyone looking at these sessions reports who hasn't bought the game I would have to say they give a very good sense of what the game is about. I agree about the tension. One has to factor in what an opponent may be able to do with cards in hand which introduces a great bluffing element. In 6 of the 7 games I've had, the winner had 3 or less morale.

The game I played last night was a close affair. The winner had I think 5 morale left. But with a wizard on 10hp and the Copper Dragon surrounded by enemies and on 40hp.

Basically another turn by my Lolth forces would have seen me to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve perkins
United Kingdom
Telford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theo777 wrote:
I'm glad there are no dice in this game imo that could only hurt the tactical play.

I played both Summoner Wars and Dungeon Command last night. Both were very good (8/10) but I can see where a series of poor dice rolls could scupper your day in Summoner Wars.

Yes, the sequence of order cards and monster cards will have a slight impact on your play, but luck is minimal in Dungeon Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I am really interested to see is some constructed deck matches, which I think will be important to my long term interest in the game. I have my 2 sets are set to arrive tomorrow, and I am hoping to make it to the demo day at a local store this afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.