Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am about to receive my copy of Industria. I have never played it, nor Industry, but have pored over both rulebooks. I'm wondering if I should teach my first-ever game strictly using the Industria rules, or if I should mix in some Industry magic.

Part of me thinks that sticking to the original rules would be best. It's simple, and that ruleset has been tested over time. On the other hand, a part of me thinks that the Industry rules were updated for a reason, and why shouldn't we take advantage of the latest and greatest rules available? Maybe our experience with the game would be more favorable with the new rules than with the original rules. Or at least, with some of the new rules (such as the subsidy option).

So here is a poll to guide me. Please answer the questions that you know the answers to, and please follow up with replies to clarify anything that needs more clarity.

Poll
Which rule changes from Industry should I use the first time I play Industria?
  Absolutely Maybe Probably not No way I don't know
Allow taking a subsidy token (gain $3 but lose 5 VP)
Auctioneer must pay the other players for tiles they take
With 4 players, in epoch 5, auction off 3 tokens per round (instead of 4)
With 3 players, play all 5 epochs, but in epochs 4 and 5, auction off 4 tokens per round (instead of 3)
Treat all resource tiles as jokers (any resource/can't sell/2VP at end)
      4 answers
Poll created by peakhope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before changing anything, you should just try Industria. I think the original Industria is the most under-rated game on BGG. It might be a top-ten game for me. That would be my recommendation.

I should note, I still haven't played Industry. I can't see how the new edition can be that much better than the previous. Also, I'm quite cheap when it comes to purchasing new games.

I hope you enjoy Industria either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played my first game (3p), I have answered my own poll:

Subsidy? Probably not. Once people know the game, probably yes, but it's not necessary in a first game.

Auctioneer pay for tiles? No way. Play the game as designed first.

4p auction 3 tiles per round in epoch 5? Probably so. It gives everyone equal turns as first player, and gives everyone an extra building opportunity.

3p auction 4 tiles per round in epoch 4 (and maybe 5)? I don't know. Equal turns as first player is good, but losing a building opportunity is quite painful.

3p going 5 epochs? Maybe. Not playing the 5th epoch really feels like you're not getting the full game, and it throws off the balance of some of the production buildings. The only downside is that it makes the first play even longer. After the first game, I absolutely want to try going 5 epochs.

Resources as jokers? No way. Maybe try it after you know the game, but not worth adding the confusion in a first play.

I also forgot: Allow scoring for *each* bonus tile you have, rather than being limited to one of each type? Probably not. Again, not worth the change in a first game. But it's one I would be interested in experimenting with, to avoid getting stuck with a completely useless bonus that you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.