United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I like to make my powers pithy, easy to remember, and publishable, but this one is a deliberate exception. Its awkward encounter mechanic and laundry list of activation triggers are intentional; almost demanded by the theme.

Oh, and just in case this needs to be stated, I do not condone irresponsible drinking in real life, just as I do not condone extortion, theft, bullying, hatred, sabotage, sadism, gluttony, cannibalism, or whining.
BOOZER
PLAYS DRINKING GAMES

You have the power of Drinking Rules. Each time a “drinkable” event occurs, use this power to add a token to this sheet and then receive one reward or discard one card from your hand. A drinkable event occurs when any deck is reshuffled; your destiny color or a special or wild destiny card is drawn; the warp becomes empty; a flare or artifact is played (unless it successfully zaps this power); main players’ encounter totals end in a tie; one or more game components enter, or are removed from, the game; a foreign colony is gained or lost; another player loses or regains power(s) based on home colony count; another player utters swear word(s) during an encounter; or two other players have a rules argument.

As a main player or ally, if your side reveals an attack card and the tokens on this sheet exceed that card’s value, your ships in the encounter count as half (rounded down) toward your side’s total. If the tokens exceed twice the card’s value, your halved ships are instead subtracted from your side’s total. If the tokens exceed three times the card’s value, your ships are instead subtracted at full value and after the encounter ends you must “sleep it off”: discard your hand and all tokens from this sheet; until the start of your next turn you do not respond to drinkable events and your ships do not count toward encounter totals.
As a main player or ally, if your side reveals an attack card and the tokens on this sheet exceed that card’s value, your ships in the encounter count as half (rounded down) toward your side’s total. If the tokens exceed twice the card’s value, then your halved ships are instead subtracted from your side’s total, and if the tokens exceed three times the card’s value, then after the encounter ends you must also discard your hand, discard all tokens from this sheet, and turn this sheet facedown until the start of your next turn. While you are “sleeping it off” in this manner, your ships do not count toward encounter totals.
(As Any Player) (Mandatory) (All Phases)

Long known as the Guzzlers of the Galaxies, the Boozers use everyday events as excuses to inebriate themselves at the drop of a flangitz. Although amusing at parties, they are notoriously flaky in battle, often arriving late and hung over, if not stumbling headlong under the weight of their own armor.

WILD: Play this flare on the table. Starting with the player you choose, each must either “drink” (send a ship to this flare from a colony) or “pass” and return any ships he or she has here to colonies. At the start of each encounter, repeat with those who have not passed. Whoever returns his or her ships from here last receives a reward for each one, but has his or her power(s) zapped. Then this flare returns to your hand.
(As Any Player) (Any Phase)

SUPER: As a main player, before ships launch, you may discard 5 tokens from your sheet to “call in sick.” Discard any one card from your hand (if possible) and immediately end the encounter as a success for the opponent.
(Main Player Only) (Launch)

I've deliberately left the laundry-list long because I wanted to experiment with a bunch of different triggers. Perhaps some should be dropped and replaced with more interesting triggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
SUPER: As a main player, before ships launch, you may discard 5 tokens from your sheet to “call in sick.” Discard any one card from your hand (if possible) and immediately end the encounter as a success for the opponent.

Okay, what have you done with the real Bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasek Karanhini
msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
another player utters swear word(s) during an encounter;

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Okay, what have you done with the real Bill?

I plead Guilty on the count of hypocrisy.

Actually, I had to take another look at this issue when fixing Butler, and I'm feeling like I was wrong to think it could be simplified by aligning with the old Moon rules. I have not yet published a revision to the Cosmodex, but here's the current draft:

:encounters: ... Successful: ... It seems that there is also a third, "general" kind of successful encounter created by a handful of special rules and game effects that deem an encounter successful but do not define it as a "win." These include Mite, Wild Leviathan, reclaiming an empty home planet after drawing your own destiny color, and the Cosmodex's revision for Wild Butler (which is based on the destiny rule wording). Although it might have been the intention for these outcomes to count as wins, in the absence of any evidence to that effect the Cosmodex now considers them a third, distinct kind of successful outcome. This prevents questions and ambiguities with certain other effects that require a win or a loss. For example, if you use Wild Leviathan to trade home planets, your encounter is deemed "successful" but this is not actually a win; thus your opponent may not claim he "lost" the encounter in order to play something like Wild Fury or Super Trickster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
So there is no upside to this power? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upside is that whenever you "drink", you get a reward or discard a card from hand.

With respect to "passing out", how do you suggest differentiating it from having lost your power? I think when your sheet is face down, your ships should count as normal again, just for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
The upside is that whenever you "drink", you get a reward or discard a card from hand.

So hand manipulation... interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:
With respect to "passing out", how do you suggest differentiating it from having lost your power?

Turning your sheet facedown is supposed to make you actually lose your power, but I guess that's not especially clear, is it?

Azeltir wrote:
I think when your sheet is face down, your ships should count as normal again, just for clarity.

Yeah, it is a little weird that while the power is lost it is still having an effect. That's not unprecedented (cf. Locust), but it's not exactly elegant, either.

I think perhaps this would be more clear:
As a main player or ally, if your side reveals an attack card and the tokens on this sheet exceed that card’s value, your ships in the encounter count as half (rounded down) toward your side’s total. If the tokens exceed twice the card’s value, your halved ships are instead subtracted from your side’s total. If the tokens exceed three times the card’s value, your ships are instead subtracted at full value and after the encounter ends you must “sleep it off”: discard your hand and all tokens from this sheet; until the start of your next turn you do not respond to drinkable events and your ships do not count toward encounter totals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.