Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only one copy of the game but four gaming friends were at the table.
I wanted them to play B-17: Queen of the Skies.
So, I assigned them individually two crew roles in one plane.

No early mission for this crew, we went all the way to Wilhelmshaven.
I took the roles of copilot (not a lot to do) and a side gunner and played all the German fighters.

What followed was an intense mission with all the "chatter" you would expect from a bomber crew. It was great!

The captain made the "big decisions" and kept track of the mission. The tail gunner racked up the most kills and got cocky and the bombardier really felt the pressure. 
Moving wounded, putting out fires, dividing up targets was what the crew discussed within the battered fortress.

I was accused of enjoying playing the enemy fighters a bit too much. (Well, I did)

The old gal took too much punishment and in the end the decision was made by the captain and crew after a heated discussion to ditch in the water. Most but not all survived.

I highly recommend this role playing approach for new players. The game can take it and the crew dynamic was really interesting.

A couple of tips:
Have lots of dice handy and download and print the play aids that are available like crew and damage tiles plus a few gunnery circle charts.

One last thing...pray that the intercom doesn't get knocked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael white
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good thread John...can imagine the atmosphere was fun...nice idea....keep posting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Had never thought of B-17 as a multi-player game before, but it sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

I did this way back when first introduced to the game and can attest to the enjoyment to be had!

I have also played the variant at a convention where the individual still controls an entire plane, but you fly in a group of 5-7 planes and if there are enough players you can have multiple groups in the squadron.

The incoming fighters come at the group not just the individual plane and cross-talk still occurs about targetting and is also great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my fondest memories playing B-17 is that of a tournament where the GMs, though fair and very professional, engaged in some good-natured trash talking on behalf of the Luftwaffe. The best moment came during the mission in the final round when I rolled a jam of the bomb bay doors. Pointing to me, one GM turned to the other and said:
"HEY FRITZ! HE'S GOTTA TAKE THE BOMBS HOME!!"
And the gloating continued as I:
>Lost an engine, so had to drop out of formation
>Lost the radio
>Developed a fuel leak meaning that I'd have to ditch short of England.
And so amid great snickering I was dead meat already: Ditching out of formation with no radio. However, they were nice enough to let me bail out over Germany instead, and hopefully my crew got an extra can of klim on the way to the stalag--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.