Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hy Ther
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I got 3 questions.
1.The two players need to transfer their cards in clockwise/anticlockwise or just switch cards by those two themselves.
2.Those two players are next two each other or not? That means can I buy resources from my opponent?
3.Can I discard the card and get 3 coins for the Free city even I could use that card for it.

Thanks for responding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.- They switch cards between them, and the player that picks the card for the Free City picks it from a stationary stack that doesn't move.

2.- Yes, you can buy resources either from the Free City or from your opponent.

3.- I'm talking from memory here, but I'd swear that the rules say that if you have a card in the hand that the Free City could use (because it already has the resources, or through a building previously built), you must use it for the Free City. You can only discard for money when there are no cards available for the Free City.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hy Ther
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
For question 3:
If there is only 1 card that I can use for myself and the free city. Do I must need build the only card for the free city? And I must choose another card to sell for coins because I don't have any other card that I can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cav wrote:
For question 3:
If there is only 1 card that I can use for myself and the free city. Do I must need build the only card for the free city? And I must choose another card to sell for coins because I don't have any other card that I can use.

You pick the card for your city first. If the other card cannot be used (note take a look if a wonder stage can also be built) then yes you can discard for coins...however there should be another card available since even in 2 player you still play only 6 cards and discard the last..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hy Ther
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
So if I know my opponent needs a material that he doesn't have.(I don't need that material and no one has it at the time). But I got 2 of that material cards in my hand, so I can not make the free city discard it.
In this case, I can't do nothing to prevent that material shows up in the game so my opponent can get it whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with your play, discard it and with free city play, use it to build wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stokes
England
Basingstoke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a Variant for 2 player which I got from here, but basically

Setup the game like a normal 3 player game and give the "third" player a board and 3 coins and the usual hand of cards.

On the dummys turn a random card is drawn from it's hand. It tries to build that card first.

If it can't, then tries to buy resources from trade.

If it really can't then it tries to build the stages of it's wonder.

If it can't do that either, then it discards the card for 3 coins.

When trading it opts to buy cheapest resources first and then it tries to balance who it gives money too. Roll a die or flip a coin if you have to. But generally it was very logical who it would pay.

Cant remember where I got if from but it works alot better then the normal 2 player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob RN wrote:
We play a Variant for 2 player which I got from here, but basically

Setup the game like a normal 3 player game and give the "third" player a board and 3 coins and the usual hand of cards.

On the dummys turn a random card is drawn from it's hand. It tries to build that card first.

If it can't, then tries to buy resources from trade.

If it really can't then it tries to build the stages of it's wonder.

If it can't do that either, then it discards the card for 3 coins.

When trading it opts to buy cheapest resources first and then it tries to balance who it gives money too. Roll a die or flip a coin if you have to. But generally it was very logical who it would pay.

Cant remember where I got if from but it works alot better then the normal 2 player rules.

There is no way I see this better than the two player rules. ... the whole part of being able to play the dummy is to screw your opponent out of getting access to certain cards / resources. In the original rules if you have two greens in your hand and you randomly draw another colored card knowing your opponent is collecting green you could prevent both from reaching your opponent. The "AI" plays one and you play the other. Far more interactive the original way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
le_cav wrote:
I got 3 questions.
1.The two players need to transfer their cards in clockwise/anticlockwise or just switch cards by those two themselves.
2.Those two players are next two each other or not? That means can I buy resources from my opponent?
3.Can I discard the card and get 3 coins for the Free city even I could use that card for it.

Thanks for responding.

This thread answers your first two questions more clearly than the rest of the thread has:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/609619/questions-regarding-b...
#3:
You can never discard for coins if the Free City can play the card. Also one important note, if a card is chained and can be played for free; that card must be played! And any card that costs resources would not be played instead.

This last bit adds an element of priority to the real players turn. You know the Free City will play a potential card you would prefer to play later.... but since they must play it you wont have access to it.  

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your third question is answered pretty clearly on this question at BCG.SE. TL;DR: No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stokes
England
Basingstoke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem is that one player get the free city twice which gives a large advantage in the screwing the other player. The game is broken when playing 2 players with the original rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob RN wrote:
The main problem is that one player get the free city twice which gives a large advantage in the screwing the other player. The game is broken when playing 2 players with the original rules.

Original 2 player rules aren't broken in any way. Using those, the 2 player in the most strategic way to play 7 Wonders. I haven't tried your suggested method but after reading through the rules, I likely won't as I see nothing that makes it better than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rob RN wrote:

During each Age players alternate in control of FCwith each move they make.
So, in base game each player plays 3 cards for FC, each Age.

2-player isn't broken, for sure. On the other hand it may be too much brain burning and not as enjoyable as with 3+ players, but that's different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
6element
msg tools
mb
notyetsuperman wrote:

#3:
Also one important note, if a card is chained and can be played for free; that card must be played! And any card that costs resources would not be played instead.

The player is not forced to play a free chain card instead of any other card costing resources for the free city. If you read the rules carefully it is pretty clear.

7W rules wrote:

Rules for the Free city :
• If the card chosen for the Free city can benefit from a free construction (chain), this free construction MUST be performed.

If the card chosen [already] for the free city can be played for free using chain player cannot make the free city pay for the card and must use chain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.