Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Wagner
Germany
Duisburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a situation I have had recent times in my games:

I was able to encircle some Soviet Units. During the Soviet Counter Attack Phase the encircled Soviet Units successfully attacked, but were unable to connect to their frontline. As per rule 4.1 the gap left by the advancing unit is filled with a Soviet line unit.
So the number of encircled units is increasing while being encircled.
In reality this has never happened for obvious reasons.
When an army is encircled, the numbers of their soldiers is normally decreasing.
I suggest to fill the gap not with a unit from the holding box, but with the least engaged unit within the encirclement (of course, this could also not be the attacking unit itself).
The gap this unit will left is filled with an adjacent axis unit or an axis unit from the holding box (as per rule 4.1).
This way you create what is called a "wandernder Kessel / wandering encirclement".
A Phenomenon that really existed during WW2 at the Eastern Front.

What do you think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are still isolated, the entire pocket (minus any units in major cities) will be eliminated in the encircled phase whether they expand or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Wagner
Germany
Duisburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, of course, but this is not my point.
Half of the eliminated numbers will be counted towards the initiative modifier.
The number of isolated units does not change when you follow my suggestion.
If the number of units increases due to successful attacks during the counter attack phase, this benefits the initiative modifier in favor of the axis.
I intended to make the process more realistic, because the number of units/soldiers within an encirclement does surely not increase in real combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of the units as showing where forces are located, not their strength.

In your case, the pocket expands, attempting to reach Soviet lines. So now the pocket is bigger, but doesn't actually contain more troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the OPs point is that the player earns initiative points, and those point remain hard numbers, regardless of how we picture the units/men.

Three encircled units manage to increase the encirclement by one hex, but not breaking out of it. Instead of 1 IP, the player gets 2 IP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might as well say if the breakthrough fails to resupply the units, the pocket does not change (attack negated).

I think that it partly recreates the soviet penchant for reinforcing doomed situations, like the encirclement at Kiev.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.