Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think I have the commander's tent thing figured for "normal" events. If it is on the board, there are a couple benefits...and some terrible penalties if it is unoccupied. And it normally gets "unoccupied" if it is attacked by the enemy, who manages to kill off the three bodyguards, after which the Commander, if he survives the Leader hit check, retreats and dread things happen.

But there is a "ninja assassin" card that lets a person target any Leader.
So what happens if you target--and kill-- the commander?

Do the bodyguards remain, thus meaning the camp is still "occupied", even if the boss is no longer occupying it? (consciously, anyway). Are we getting into Kagemusha land?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! For game balance, I would say the Commander is ninja proof, at least while on his Command Tent. We'll see what RB has to say.

(Nick's pal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Okay, I think I have the commander's tent thing figured for "normal" events. If it is on the board, there are a couple benefits...and some terrible penalties if it is unoccupied. And it normally gets "unoccupied" if it is attacked by the enemy, who manages to kill off the three bodyguards, after which the Commander, if he survives the Leader hit check, retreats and dread things happen.

But there is a "ninja assassin" card that lets a person target any Leader.
So what happens if you target--and kill-- the commander?

Do the bodyguards remain, thus meaning the camp is still "occupied", even if the boss is no longer occupying it? (consciously, anyway). Are we getting into Kagemusha land?

Wow. Another great question Kevin. This same situation could arise when a Commander Unit is attacked doing damage to one bodyguard. In this situation one would do a leader check (as stated on the back of the unit summary sheet), just like in other situations. If the leader is killed (1 in 6 chance), then the bodyguard units would remain without the leader.

For this reason, I would think that the Commander could indeed be killed with the ninja card just as in the case of a leader check.

The rules on the back of the summary sheet state that the commander's unit with its commander must ignore 1 flag. This would imply to me that the unit could possibly continue to exist without the commander himself. He would no longer have the ability to ignore a flag via the commander himself, just via support from other units.

Nowhere can I find anything that says the unit is now able to retreat like normal units, so I would assume the same rules apply. The unit cannot retreat and instead takes a loss for each retreat it would normally have to take. The unit would still have to be destroyed to capture the command tent.

Without the commmander himself, it can no longer be inspired by the commander, nor does it get the benefit of ignoring a flag that the commander normally provides. These are the only two negative effects that I see.

That's the way I see it. What does everyone else think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I think unoccupied means no figures left at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
I will run this by Richard as soon as I track him down again, but the two times I have run into this situation we played it as David outlines above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
Richard and I discussed this at GenCon, and the short version is that David's method above is correct.

The Command Tent loses the commander's ability to Inspire and Ignore a Flag, but the full effects of losing the Command Tent do not apply until the bodyguards are destroyed, even if the Leader is already dead.

The FAQ has been updated to reflect this.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.