Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have in mind designing a game on the Gallipoli campaign.

This would be a company level game, along the same lines as The Battle for Normandy/Sicily (not using the same rules, of course). Think of it as a very playable "monster".

Uppermost in my mind, however, it to make it as flexible as possible. By flexible, I mean that there will be several at start situations that would reflect completely viable "what ifs", such as better intelligence, better planning, and several options regarding Ottoman reaction. The LAST scenario, included for completeness only, would be the historical situation (good luck...).

I would include the naval portion of the campaign as well, with straight-forward systems for naval combat against the fortifications of the Dardanells.

How interested would gamers out there be? I'm not "married" to this idea, but if there is enough interest I'd love to bring this to fruition. Do you feel there is room out there for this type of game, or has this been done to death?

Yea, or nay, I'm very interested in your opinions.

GregS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Not done to death, certainly. I'm fascinated by the campaign, and offhand I can think of only two games on the topic: Gallipoli and A Fatal Attraction: The Gallipoli Campaign.

That said, I think doing a game at company level would be either a joyless slugfest or unplayable altogether. Do you have any idea how many maps or counters would be involved? How detailed would the naval game be, and at what scale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only at the very beginning of my brainstorming on this, but at this juncture I'm thinking 2 to 2 1/2 maps. Number of counters I'm not sure of.

The naval game would be individual capital ships, and flotillas/squadrons of smaller ships. Again, I'm only thinking of the initial attempts at running the strait, and not of a full-blown ship to ship subsytem. It would be a low complexity system with no bookkeeping; perhaps just hit points with counters marking the damage. Then again, I haven't formulated how I would depict this so it is still open to suggestion.

Foremost in my mind are the possibilities that existed in the campaign, and not the historical debacle. It is only the potential that existed that makes this a fascinating subject for me. The historical outcome is quite depressing...

EDIT: There was also a French foray into the Asian continent. I'd like to include that, perhaps as a small learning game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I was expecting a much larger map footprint for a company-level game.

I'm definitely interested, and I hope you'll keep us posted on this project. I like your ideas for the naval game. I wonder though if depicting the ground forces at a battalion rather than a company level might not be more doable. For World War One, company level is essentially tactical, with ranged fire and all that that entails. With 2-3 maps, I suspect unit density will be an issue as well.

I don't mean to sound discouraging - there's a part of me that would love doing Verdun at a platoon level - but I think finding the right unit and ground scales might be key in portraying this campaign effectively.

Edit: feel free to drop me a line if you're looking for a play-tester!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.