Subject: Phishing scam? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter survey I sent out to backers included a section for anyone who pledged $150 or more regarding their beta test access. Those people need to provide the UDID for their ipads and the easiest way to do that is to use an app called "My Device ID".

This was fully explained in the Survey email, so I do not know why you're jumping automatically the "red alert".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many iOS developers, we distribute beta versions through TestFlight. Apple doesn't let us distribute the beta to anyone -- we have to specifically "sign" the app with permissions so that the beta can only run on a specific number of Apple-registered beta devices (they are VERY strict about not distributing apps too widely outside of the App Store). So we need to register all beta users' UDIDs with Apple. The UDID is a very long string of fairly random letters and characters, and rather than asking users to find it and copy/paste it from within iTunes (it's not the most intuitive thing to locate), there's "an app for that" that greatly simplifies everything, called "My Device ID" -- that's why we recommended our beta testers to download that app.

No phishing scam -- but I can understand why it would seem odd to you.

--clint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. This is a useful and informative response. I was rather frustrated and confused by the initial responses which seemed to imply that a phishing scam would never bother with a reason for you to give personal information. Should you use a similar survey in the future, I would suggest that the one you have now is far from clear. "As a beta-tester..." does not mean you may or may not be a beta-tester, amongst other things which were poorly conveyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.