Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, there in the subject is exactly what I want to ask about. As I type on this thing, and I've got the touchpad on, since I'm not at my desk, many, many times, the cursor jumps back a few places and I start typing back a few places.

What is causing this? What button am I hitting? Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem. You're not hitting a button -- it's your unused left thumb occasionally brushing the touchpad. You have to teach yourself to hold it up higher.

My old laptop had a switch to turn the touchpad off and I wish my new one did, too.

EDIT: I have a wireless mouse which I really like, but I still occasionally accidentally touch the pad with my left thumb or palm while typing. I don't really want to disable the pad completely, because I sometimes need to use it for a couple minutes until I can change the battery in my mouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
My old laptop had a switch to turn the touchpad off and I wish my new one did, too.

You can disable the touchpad in BIOS. I do this on my laptop. And I love Thinkpad's eraser shaped mouse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern touchpad drivers have an option to disable the touchpad automatically when an external mouse is connected.

I find the built-in laptop pointing devices horribly frustrating and inefficient. Get a mouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My touchpad was causing the same problem and it was driving me crazy. On more than one occasion I ended up sending unfinished e-mails to folks simply because I brushed against the damn touchpad. About a year ago it caused me to send an incomplete e-mail to some very executive people in my company. My temper finally got the best of me which is why my laptop now looks like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
My touchpad was causing the same problem and it was driving me crazy. On more than one occasion I ended up sending unfinished e-mails to folks simply because I brushed against the damn touchpad. About a year ago it caused me to send an incomplete e-mail to some very executive people in my company. My temper finally got the best of me which is why my laptop now looks like this:

I had a D620 and it used to do that all the time.

Your keyboard doesn't need to stay like that! Find a used keyboard and you can easily pop in replacement keys. I had a couple keys break off from my cat using mine as a heating pad. Picked up a used keyboard from a guy off of kijiji for 5 bucks and 10 minutes later, just like new. Might take you a bit to find one now a days but it's worth a try. You could also put up a wanted ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.