Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Print and Play board games are not selling so well because it requires assembly, I was wondering if it would not be more profitable to release the game on IPad, or other tablet device.

Normally, board games that gets released as software are generally popular games considered to be solid. So I think it could be a bad idea that the first release is on an electronic device.

The main problem is the development time. It took me around 6-8 months to produce my game as PNP (excluding design time). It might take me another 6 months to program it as a video game. In the end, the production can take over a year.

But on the other hand, more people might be willing to buy the game if it's available on a table rather than PnP.

I think the best solution would be to have a game published by a real publisher and use the artwork and graphic design of the publisher ( with permission) to create the video game if the board game is popular enough. In that case, it saves me the production of the graphics and artwork. I could even make the video game while the publisher is producing the board game so that they get released almost at the same time.

The problem with video games is that it might require additional stuff which could be hard to get or implement:

- Artificial Intelligence: This could be painful to develop, it depends on the game.
- Multi-player: This is almost essential especially if there is no AI.
- Music: That could be considered optional, maybe people does not expect to get music when playing board games with a tablet. But since the original board game does not have music, it could be borrow it like the graphics.

What do You think?

Mirror Threads
http://www.bgdf.com/node/6837
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first question is do you have any iOs development experience? And then do you have any video game development experience?

If not then I would ask do you know how expensive it is to develop quality apps for mobile devices? This generally isn’t something that one person does on their own and there have been a number of threads on the costs of development.

Next how would your game translate from print and play to a video game?

Going just with iPad you’re limiting your target audience. If your target audience has been users here on BGG who are likely to give a print and play game a try and if understand correctly sales have been slow, the audience on BGG that has an IPad is probably even smaller, so how would this increase sales potential?

PnP games and app games are completely different animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My first question is do you have any iOs development experience? And then do you have any video game development experience?

I am an ex-computer programmer. Latey, I have re-opened a video game project called Wizardry Legacy that I intend to complete. The project page can be found here:

http://www.allegro.cc/depot/WizardryLegacy/

Now, I am using allegro as a development library, and this library support or will eventually support Ios and Android Devices. So I thought that I could actually develop software for these platform with little learning.

Quote:
Going just with iPad you’re limiting your target audience

Probably the code would be portable for other platform too since I currently run my game above current on Windows and Linux.

Quote:
Next how would your game translate from print and play to a video game?

Well all the components graphics are currently designed because it's released s print and play. So I could just reuse these graphics in my video game. If y game gets published by a publisher, then I can simply use the publisher's artwork and never release the game as print and play. I think that would be the optimal solution.

Quote:
What was the question? What do I think, in regard to what?

Do you think that it would be more profitable to release a game in Electronic format, rather than in print and play format according to the time it takes produce and the sales it could make?

Note: By multiplayer I means managing a game through network connection between multiple device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a board or card game?

Hard to say what is profitable or not because it really depends on what your development costs. Even if you’re doing 100% of the coding, design, testing, etc your time is money after all so there is some monetary value to that time, I am sure you would like to recoup, along with the costs of the apple SDK and do you currently have an iPad or Mac to do the testing on?

Apps to board games to print and play is really apples to oranges as they say as far as direct comparisons

App marketing/pricing is a whole discussion on its own.

Just out of curiosity are you currently looking for a publisher?
If so then why worry about an app version at this stage? Hard to say what that publishing deal might include prior to getting one and what kind of licensing rights you work out for the game at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Just out of curiosity are you currently looking for a publisher?

Yes

Quote:
If so then why worry about an app version at this stage?

I am thinking on the long term and analyzing possibilities. Since allegro was going to support tablet platform, I thought it could be a good idea to port my board games on it.

Quote:
Hard to say what that publishing deal might include prior to getting one and what kind of licensing rights you work out for the game at that point.

I imagine I could pay royalties to the publisher that published my game to be allowed to use their artwork material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on your definition of "profitable". If you're counting the hours vs the reward then you'd be more profitable working as a janitor at McDonald's. If you're counting money gained (i.e. it's fun to do and anything more is a bonus) then yes, chances are it would be profitable (per definition even a single sale would be profitable, but I would imagine that you could garner 500 - 1000 sales if you had decent graphics, since screenshots is what sells the product).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It all depends on your definition of "profitable". If you're counting the hours vs the reward then you'd be more profitable working as a janitor at McDonald's. If you're counting money gained (i.e. it's fun to do and anything more is a bonus) then yes, chances are it would be profitable (per definition even a single sale would be profitable, but I would imagine that you could garner 500 - 1000 sales if you had decent graphics, since screenshots is what sells the product).

I am never counting the hours spent.

If I could get a 500-1000 sales that would be more than awesome because I would never sell as much in PnP even if they would both be sold at the same price (for example 5$).

If let say that your number above were true, then yes it would worth it because the number of sales would be 10-20 times higher than PnP.

So what I am trying to see if there is an important difference between PnP and electronic sales so that it is worth the extra 6 month of work (or more) to make the electronic version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of rewards do you want for your time and efforts?

If you're looking for exposure, a video game is likely the way to go. More people browse through cheap games for their phones and tablets than browse hobby sites for print-and-play board games.

If you're looking for a monetary return on your design, your best bet is to pimp your design to publishers. I hear that scheduling meetins with publishers at conventions can really help.

If you just enjoy designing games as a way to express yourself, I think you've been doing all the right things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If you're looking for exposure, a video game is likely the way to go.

I think Exposure is important because it make sure your game gets played or that people know your game. If the game is more popular, it should be more likely to get published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.