Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are everyone's favorite RPGs on iOS? I am looking for something as good as Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, or 3 or Final Fantasy 7 or that snes one that went to the moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV). As far as I know, none of those particular ones are on iOS yet.

What rpgs on iOS would you recommend in general and also based on what I'm looking for? They don't have to be from Square.

Keep in mind. I am not interested in farmville/mafia wars style garbage.

I have played/beat/enjoyed Rune Raiders and I am playing Pocket Heroes. And I have battleloot HD (but I am looking for something less real time based than battleloot. a good old final fantasy legend style turn based rpg rather than an action rpg).

And which ones work well on ios? I have an ipad 2 and an iphone 4s. Don't recommend Final Fantasy tactics if you don't like it plays well on ipad. And I don't want to get into an rpg on my iphone or ipad that doesn't resume well from being closed. That's less of an issue on the ipad as I usually will get to a good save point before an interruption. But on my iphone, I could easily get a text or phone call and I wouldn't want to come back to my rpg in progress to find that I've lost progress from not saving my game. To avoid issue I might only play it on the ipad anyhow, even if it would be played at 2x stretch mode.

Also, Square is shooting themselves in the foot. I would have bought Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, Tactics, and Chrono Trigger if they all cost about $5 each. Instead I might get only one of them at the prices they are at.

Of those released on ios, here are some I'm interested in and I haven't played them before:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger

some others from square that I have played a while ago but might be interested in getting
Final Fantasy 1, 2, or 3

And some more from Square, vaguely interest me:
Song Summoner - based on the music on your device. interesting
Chaos Rings - are these any good?
Crystal Defender - final fantasy tower defense?

And here's a list of all Square iOS apps.

• 774 DEATHS
• CHAOS RINGS
• CHAOS RINGS II
• CHAOS RINGS II for iPad
• CHAOS RINGS for iPad
• CHAOS RINGS Ω
• CHAOS RINGS Ω for iPad
• CHRONO TRIGGER
• CRYSTAL DEFENDERS
• CRYSTAL DEFENDERS Lite
• CRYSTAL DEFENDERS for iPad
• Chocobo Panic
• DISSIDIA 012 FINAL FANTASY AR
• FINAL FANTASY
• FINAL FANTASY II
• FINAL FANTASY III
• FINAL FANTASY III for iPad
• FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS
• FINAL FANTASY VII Compilation Wallpaper 
• FORTUNE STREET SMART
• FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST Gallery
• Hills and Rivers Remain
• Hills and Rivers Remain Lite
• Imaginary Range
• Imaginary Range HD
• Phrases Used by Native English-Speakers
• SLIDING HEROES
• SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes – Encore
• SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes – Encore Lite
• SOUL EATER Gallery
• SQUARE ENIX CHARACTERS MAIL
• SUMMER STORY
• Secret of Mana
• VANGUARD STORM
• VANGUARD STORM Lite
• Voice Fantasy
• ガンガンONLINE(i)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FF Tactics is my favorite game in the franchise, and is well worth the money. Chrono Trigger was one of the best RPGs on the SNES, but it feels incredibly dated now. Secret of Mana has held up well, but it's got real time battles.

Of the other FF titles, 3 is the 3D remake that came out on the Nintendo DS and is IMO the best of the three. The first in the series is a great piece of nostalgia (I'm playing through it now) but even though it's also a modernized remake it can feel very dated. FF2 is an oddball in the franchise - leveling up characters is based on what weapons and spells you use and how much damage you take in combat. To this day, it's the only numbered FF game I've not finished, as it's just not that good.

If you have a large music library on your iPhone, check out Song Summoner, as it's got a free version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentegarn76 wrote:
I personally didn't enjoy the leveling based off of gear system because it is too ambiguous. but he was a big fan of it. Depends on what you like I guess

SaGa / Legends was even weirder when they added the mechanisms for turning characters into beasts, mutants, cyborgs, and robots.

In FF2, I hated the fact that spells were treated like equipment, and that one of the best ways to level your characters' abilities was to get into a fight with (and ignore) some weak enemies and just have your characters hit and heal each other.

You could also select an action, then cancel it, select it again, cancel... and the game counted each instance of selecting the action as a use when calculating skill increases.

I don't like the idea that you have to "cheat" to enjoy a game, but playing FF2 without those kinds of grinding was an exercise in frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
I personally didn't enjoy the leveling based off of gear system because it is too ambiguous. but he was a big fan of it. Depends on what you like I guess

SaGa / Legends was even weirder when they added the mechanisms for turning characters into beasts, mutants, cyborgs, and robots.

In FF2, I hated the fact that spells were treated like equipment, and that one of the best ways to level your characters' abilities was to get into a fight with (and ignore) some weak enemies and just have your characters hit and heal each other.

You could also select an action, then cancel it, select it again, cancel... and the game counted each instance of selecting the action as a use when calculating skill increases. :D

I don't like the idea that you have to "cheat" to enjoy a game, but playing FF2 without those kinds of grinding was an exercise in frustration.

Yea. I'll avoid FF2 for sure. I did play FF1 a while ago on NES I think. I might try the graphical update sometime.

I also don't remember anything odd about the Final Fantasy Legends. The mutant system was annoying so I didn't use them. I couldn't stand not knowing if I should let it mutate or not. That was too random. I preferred to just have another regular character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
FF Tactics is my favorite game in the franchise, and is well worth the money. Chrono Trigger was one of the best RPGs on the SNES, but it feels incredibly dated now. Secret of Mana has held up well, but it's got real time battles.

Of the other FF titles, 3 is the 3D remake that came out on the Nintendo DS and is IMO the best of the three. The first in the series is a great piece of nostalgia (I'm playing through it now) but even though it's also a modernized remake it can feel very dated. FF2 is an oddball in the franchise - leveling up characters is based on what weapons and spells you use and how much damage you take in combat. To this day, it's the only numbered FF game I've not finished, as it's just not that good.

If you have a large music library on your iPhone, check out Song Summoner, as it's got a free version.

Are Tactics or Chrono Trigger well done on ios? Are they lousy ports? Acceptable? Terrible? No point in spending $16 for a terrible port of an awesome game.

Secret of Mana could be good on ios but I would want to try it first. I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Yea. I'll avoid FF2 for sure. I did play FF1 a while ago on NES I think. I might try the graphical update sometime.

I'm digging it, as it's remained one of my favorites in the series. I've never played this version, which is a port of the PSP version, and am looking forward to the bonus dungeons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Are Tactics or Chrono Trigger well done on ios? Are they lousy ports? Acceptable? Terrible? No point in spending $16 for a terrible port of an awesome game.

Chrono Trigger is well done, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as when I first played it 15+ years ago. I don't recall anything that was different than the original.

Tactics has really withstood the test of time, though. The iOS version has voiced cutscenes and the updated script from the PSP release (the original translation was confusing and filled with errors) along with new classes and characters.

The biggest problem with the PSP version was the slowdown when characters cast spells with flashy graphics. It's somewhat fixed in the iOS release, but some abilities still make the game crawl for a few seconds. It's not terrible, but some players of the original were really turned off to War of the Lions because of it.

Overall, I think FFT is amazing and highly recommend it. My only real complaint is that they removed the dialogue that characters sometimes shouted when using their various spells and abilities. They were cheesy and poorly translated, but I always liked lines like "Layer upon layer make your mark now...Haste!" and "Lose conscious, wash away into the silent sea.... Sleep!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Chrono Trigger is well done, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as when I first played it 15+ years ago. I don't recall anything that was different than the original.

Tactics has really withstood the test of time, though. The iOS version has voiced cutscenes and the updated script from the PSP release (the original translation was confusing and filled with errors) along with new classes and characters.

The biggest problem with the PSP version was the slowdown when characters cast spells with flashy graphics. It's somewhat fixed in the iOS release, but some abilities still make the game crawl for a few seconds. It's not terrible, but some players of the original were really turned off to War of the Lions because of it.

Overall, I think FFT is amazing and highly recommend it. My only real complaint is that they removed the dialogue that characters sometimes shouted when using their various spells and abilities. They were cheesy and poorly translated, but I always liked lines like "Layer upon layer make your mark now...Haste!" and "Lose conscious, wash away into the silent sea.... Sleep!"

hhaha!

So, would you suggest the iPad version rather than the iphone version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this:

http://iosrpg.com/

Seems like a good resource to find iOS rpgs. :) Learned about a ton of interesting looking games.

I think I will get tactics but I will wait... for a gift card and/or a price drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
So, would you suggest the iPad version rather than the iphone version?

iPad version, hands down. You really need the bigger screen for all the text in the game, and the slowdown issue is very pronounced in the iPhone release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Found this:

http://iosrpg.com/

Seems like a good resource to find iOS rpgs. Learned about a ton of interesting looking games.

I've not played it, but Ravenmark is supposed to be very good and it shares a similar aesthetic with FFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently finished Avadon: The Black Fortress and so can describe that a bit. It's a turn-based D&D-style adventure. Walking around is real-time until you encounter an enemy (in the environment, not random), then it switches to turn-based, where combatants have a number of action points to move, cast magic, attack, etc. Many items to acquire, and focused training paths allow you to customize your character a bit.

Pros:

* Excellent writing. The story is very engaging and the world the creators have made is well-realized.
* Moral dilemmas. They're well done here. Things like, do you do what you're told, or do you follow own moral code? Do you help your friend at the expense of the greater good? If you're explicitly told by your superiors that it's OK for people to bribe you, to a certain degree, how far are you willing to go for a buck? All characters you interact with will have their own motivations and moral ambiguities.
* Length. You'll definitely get your money's worth if you play it through to the end.

Cons:

* Small playable world. You'll see a big map, but you'll really only go to a half-dozen different places. They'll get bigger with each successive visit, but still.
* Simple graphics. You'll see what everything is but you'll have to use your imagination a bit. Like the dragon that looks about 12 feet long but you have to imagine is much larger, or the passageways that are inaccessible because of some pebbles on the path.
* Buggy. There were a few crashes but the auto-save made it acceptable. Much worse are corrupted save files, which are apparently rare but it happened to me. I played through a level, and when I finished I discovered that all items in the environment had disappeared. The save file had become corrupted early in the level, and later saves continued the corruption, but I didn't notice any problem until much later. Fortunately I had a save file from before I started the level. I almost walked away from the game at that point, but the fact that the game was engaging enough for me to redo a good chunk is something in its favour.

Its normal price is $10. I bought it on sale for $5 but I don't think it drops that low very often. It's expensive for a generic time-waster iOS game but in my opinion is a very reasonable price for a game of this length. If I knew before purchasing what I know of the game now, I would not have minded paying full price for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
I recently finished Avadon: The Black Fortress and so can describe that a bit. It's a turn-based D&D-style adventure. Walking around is real-time until you encounter an enemy (in the environment, not random), then it switches to turn-based, where combatants have a number of action points to move, cast magic, attack, etc. Many items to acquire, and focused training paths allow you to customize your character a bit.

Pros:

* Excellent writing. The story is very engaging and the world the creators have made is well-realized.
* Moral dilemmas. They're well done here. Things like, do you do what you're told, or do you follow own moral code? Do you help your friend at the expense of the greater good? If you're explicitly told by your superiors that it's OK for people to bribe you, to a certain degree, how far are you willing to go for a buck? All characters you interact with will have their own motivations and moral ambiguities.
* Length. You'll definitely get your money's worth if you play it through to the end.

Cons:

* Small playable world. You'll see a big map, but you'll really only go to a half-dozen different places. They'll get bigger with each successive visit, but still.
* Simple graphics. You'll see what everything is but you'll have to use your imagination a bit. Like the dragon that looks about 12 feet long but you have to imagine is much larger, or the passageways that are inaccessible because of some pebbles on the path.
* Buggy. There were a few crashes but the auto-save made it acceptable. Much worse are corrupted save files, which are apparently rare but it happened to me. I played through a level, and when I finished I discovered that all items in the environment had disappeared. The save file had become corrupted early in the level, and later saves continued the corruption, but I didn't notice any problem until much later. Fortunately I had a save file from before I started the level. I almost walked away from the game at that point, but the fact that the game was engaging enough for me to redo a good chunk is something in its favour.

Its normal price is $10. I bought it on sale for $5 but I don't think it drops that low very often. It's expensive for a generic time-waster iOS game but in my opinion is a very reasonable price for a game of this length. If I knew before purchasing what I know of the game now, I would not have minded paying full price for it.

Spiderweb Software is probably my favorite when it comes to computer based RPGs. I still want to see the original Exile series on iPAd, even if the graphics are bad (actually, in todays market, they'd be called retro and people would buy it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Looks like they made Avernum as well as Avadaon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land?
Not as bad as the ratings suggest. Very reminscient of Fallout (I suppose by that extension Fallout Tactics). Extremely tough game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Have you tried Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land?
Not as bad as the ratings suggest. Very reminscient of Fallout (I suppose by that extension Fallout Tactics). Extremely tough game.

I'll take a look. I do like fallout 3.

I played a little of Tactical Soldier this weekend. It is... ok. Not bad I suppose. But it can be a little tedious sometimes. It actually has a kind of fallout tactics feel to it. I haven't felt challenged in the game yet (but I'm not that far into the game yet). And when facing the enemies I just put my guys in "shoot anything that moves mode" and face a chokepoint. It has some item drops that you can use to boost your abilities and leveling up. You put your skill points into boosting 1 of 10 things like accuracy and movement points. But anyhow, playing it this weekend I realized, "hey, it's an rpg".

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tactical-soldier-undead-risin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
When he said Fallout I seriously doubt he was talking about 3.

Also, nobody here mentioned Infinity Blade Ii. I thought that was the cream of the crop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
When he said Fallout I seriously doubt he was talking about 3.

Also, nobody here mentioned Infinity Blade Ii. I thought that was the cream of the crop?

That's an action rpg. And I own it and should play it more. However, I am specifically looking for a non-action rpg. As far as the final fantasy side of things, it's probably going to be FF Tactics, FF3 and Final Fantasy Dimensions, when that comes out (it's designed directly for iOS in the final fantasy legend style I believe).

I would prefer to replay FF IV / that good snes one, but I don't think it's been ported.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
am i the only one who thinks the FF games for ipad are overpriced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:

Just about everyone thinks they are, even the people who bought and enjoyed them.

That's why I am on here debating instead of actually buying. If they were in the $4 to $10 range I would've bought 4 of them already. But as they are in the $10 to $17 range, I might buy only one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
peloquin17 wrote:

Just about everyone thinks they are, even the people who bought and enjoyed them.

This x 1000. I am loving the implementation on the iPad, but the cost is pretty steep. If not for the extra content that I haven't yet seen, I'd have skipped the iOS versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, definitely try CoC: Wasted Land. It's a very rare breed. A game made for adults instead of kids or teens. Great atmosphere, memorable missions, top notch strategic difficulty, and your characters can go insane from fighting the occult for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos Rings 2 is on sale. $13 instead $17 right now. I read some reviews and apparently people really like it and compare it to the production quality of console jprgs of recent years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or I'll just wait until September for this and enjoy it far more.

http://www.baldursgate.com/ipad.en.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
update:

Got Chaos Rings 2 and I am enjoying it. It's got meaningful player choices, an interesting story and fun rpg-ness.

Also, I've been able to play some more pocket heroes and I am digging that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.