Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love card games! Some of my favorite games are Iliad, Battle Line, 7 Wonders, and recently, Blue Moon. I especially like card games where fighting / battling is involved.

I want to find a medium-complexity card game that works well with 3 players.

Like I said, battling is a plus. I'm not looking for a card game that feels more like a board game (like 7 Wonders). I don't really want a heavy fantasy theme right now (just got Blue Moon for that). No CCGs, and no RftG at this time (maybe in the future).

Any ideas? I'm interested in finding out what some of the lesser-known card games are - I know there are a lot of games out there that I don't know about! Thanks in advance!

My collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I played The Bottle Imp recently and like it so much I picked it up. Very different and challenging. I recommend you try it out. Everyone I have introduced it to has liked it.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you mentioned that you didn't want a fantasy theme and the player count was three, I have to mention Summoner Wars: Master Set because it leaps to the mind so easily when you mention that you want a card game that plays like a board game. It is a two player game.

Additionally, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is an outstanding game that also feels much more like a board game than a card game. This does play with three and is a sci-fi themed game so it meets your criteria. It is a co-op but there is PLENTY (more than you want most often!) of fighting. It is also inexpensive and plays perfectly solo.

Have fun!

Edit: I misread the OP and Matt wanted games that did NOT play like board games. Sorry, Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd add Archaeology: The Card Game as another good add to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess you would like Ivanhoe, which is about fighting combats with various weapons in a medieval tournament. I find it a bit more thematic than Battle Line and it plays well with 3-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Even though you mentioned that you didn't want a fantasy theme and the player count was three, I have to mention Summoner Wars: Master Set because it leaps to the mind so easily when you mention that you want a card game that plays like a board game. It is a two player game.

Additionally, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is an outstanding game that also feels much more like a board game than a card game. This does play with three and is a sci-fi themed game so it meets your criteria. It is a co-op but there is PLENTY (more than you want most often!) of fighting. It is also inexpensive and plays perfectly solo.

Have fun!

Not like a board game!

Although I have to say I'm intrigued by Summoner Wars - I'm sure I'll give that one a try someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

Can be played up to 4 with a second board.

mbauer8286 wrote:
Not like a board game!

Although I have to say I'm intrigued by Summoner Wars - I'm sure I'll give that one a try someday.

Truth be told, 3 player combative games tend to suffer a lot due to 2 players taking on 1. If you want just a three card player game, that opens up a lot of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Race is too daunting, you could start with San Juan, which is one of my favorites. It doesn't have much confrontation though.

I haven't played it, but it seems like The Ares Project might fit what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Truth be told, 3 player combative games tend to suffer a lot due to 2 players taking on 1. If you want just a three card player game, that opens up a lot of choices.

I'm aware of this issue, although in my experience it doesn't seem to be that big of a problem, as the player getting ganged up on is whoever is currently leading. I enjoy the back-and-forth.

That being said, I didn't really mean to limit this thread to only combative games (I did mean to limit it to 3P card games) so if you have some other 3-player suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bottle Imp and Ivanhoe look interesting. Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbauer8286 wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:

Have fun!

Not like a board game!

D'oh; sorry Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyatt Earp is a lot of fun and it does have some interaction/confrontation if you use the sheriff cards right. It's not a heavy game by any means but it scales very well from 2 to 4. And another plus...No expansions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Duel!

Brawl

Two fun combat/timing based card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi (the ultimate fighting card game)
Kuhhandel
The Dwarf King
Saboteur
Citadels
Urbion
Wizard
Coleretto
Wyatt Erp

Only the top game is a fighting game. But they're all good card games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give Sentinels of the Multiverse a try. Super Heroes vs Super Villains seems like a nice battle to me. Though I should note that you only ever play the Super Heroes, the game is always the Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havoc: The Hundred Years War (if you can find a copy; it's OOP)
Lords of Scotland
Camelot Legends
Hungry (on the lighter side, but good with 3)
Traders of Osaka
Biblios
+1 Ivanhoe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javi Barrera
Spain
Lleida
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read good reviews about Bood Bowl: Team Manager and I think it can work well with your collection because it's different from what you have since it's a Deck Building game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Condottiere comes with a small board for tracking territory, however it is a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Serpent's Tongue Wizard duels and spell casting, can be played in team. It is still in development (launch planned for october), but it is very promising.
Not CCG model, and not really LCG model either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sido wrote:
I've read good reviews about Bood Bowl: Team Manager and I think it can work well with your collection because it's different from what you have since it's a Deck Building game.

+1

Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game has everything you desire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Wizard (great in a group of 3+, might be more fun with 4 or 5)
+1 Biblios (gift phase and auction phase, altering values of the different color cards with limited info, we like with 2-4 players)
+1 Wyatt Earp (rummy style with a twist, our favorite of that type)

Also look at Fairy Tale (similar drafting mechanism to 7 Wonders, faster, fun with 2-4 players, iconography easy to pick up in 10-15 min first game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: A Reign of War maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combative card game for 3 players makes me think of Nightfall.

BattleCON and Puzzle Strike play with 3, although I've only played them with 2, so I can't say how good they are as 3 player games.

Mage Knight comes to mind, but it is definitely heavy.

In terms of other card games for 3, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil, Innovation, Eminent Domain, and Core Worlds work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could list a bunch, but here are my favorites:

thumbsup Hemloch
thumbsup Innovation
thumbsup PAX
thumbsup Omen: A Reign of War
thumbsup Tooth & Nail: Factions

Others I highly recommend:

Biblios
Chronicle
Fzzzt!
Glory to Rome
Keltis: Das Kartenspiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
sido wrote:

+1

Blood Bowl: Team Manager - The Card Game has everything you desire.

I've had my eye on Blood Bowl for a while. The thing that has been holding me back is uncertainty about whether the theme matches the mechanics. I understand that each round represents a key play in a match, not an actual match. Is that correct? Do you find that it works well?

I've seen this up at the FLGS and have been close to buying it a couple times, but have never quite pulled the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.