Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played either (but being a huge fan of the Doom boardgame that Descent is based on and dungeon crawl games in general), what are the relative strengths and weaknesses of these two games?

For me, the best part of D&D was finding a cool magic item, and it sounds like that element is in Super Dungeon Explore but not Descent 2E. On the other hand, Super Dungeon Explore doesn't seem to really have dungeons so much as a grid you fight on.

How do they compare in terms of tactical options and depth? Replayability and character customization? How much fun are they for the person running the monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the combat part of both games feels similar (roll this many of this color dice for attack and defense).

But I feel like Descent is deeper, more story driven and tactical, and has the progression feel.

SDE feels more like a skirmish. Everything is a battle to the death. Heroes start tough and get tougher. Monsters start garbage and get super powerful.

I think Descent is much easier to learn and I think it will also play faster.

I think there is room for both in a collection. They are both "fight dudes in a dungeon" games, but the "flavor" feels different to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might check out Rodney Smith's Watch it Played channel. He does a complete play through of Super Dungeon Explore.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL092C9EA6DAE4A1E7&feat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
D2E has Relics, which are kept by the party. You can also house rule the game that you can keep items you found during Searching, and even buy them. Use a copy machine to make extra item cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind about SDE, your heroes' stats are effectively 0 for the entire game, defense and attacks, and they are determined randomly by using dice whenever attacking or defending. Your heroes gear up by just adding more dice to their roll. It increases the chance to roll high, but at the same time, you can still roll 0.

As evident in the Watch it Played series, the dice determine not only who wins, but the pace of the game. A couple rounds of no one hitting anything and the game is stopped dead in its tracks.

Decent, while also using dice, offers far more control, where attacking has a greater chance of success than defense rolls (reducing stalemates). Also, with abilities and certain items, you can eliminate the chance to roll 0. *edit* This mainly applies to defense, the red and yellow dice cannot roll 0 and blue has 1 side with an X.

If you really like chucking dice with a light theme, little strategy or tactics, SDE is probably fine. If you want a more thematic, deeper dungeon crawl, Decent would be the better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I haven't played Descent. My copy is still in the mail.

But a few things Descent will have over SDE: there is no campaign or real way to even campaign SDE. If that is something you dug about D&D then chalk up the win for Descent there.

Also the idea of finding some awesome armor or weapon that you get in D&D is cut short in SDE. It is cool to find a green die item, but the joy is shortlived when you go back to playing....since it is loot crazy. You will find yourself getting items left and right, where finding a good item is still awesome but feels just like that...you got a new item.

However there is quite a bit of depth that can be pulled out of SDE, yet its core is run-and-gun. I would assume that Descent and SDE have different objectives. Descent seems to be more about exploration and survival...SDE is stop mosnters from spawning and bring out the last guy.It is more like playing a video game on a board.

Playing the monsters for SDE is a complete blast. Heroes or monsters...neither role is really boring to play. There is so much that is going on at all times...the game never feels like it has a slowdown.

So take my post at what it is. I love SDE, and I love Doom. They have the same but different feel when playing them. I haven't played Descent yet, but I have an idea on how it plays, and that idea is a bit different than SDE.

If you have the $ then get them both. SDE is a great (and poorly written rulebook of a) game. Descent is beautiful, and looks like it is great too. If you can only get one then I hope my post and the posts of others helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.