Subject: For those that are having problems with Rain card hoarders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that hoarding Rain cards has been a problem for some players after reading through the threads, and even with one of my game groups, after the game was over, a couple players flat out mentioned that they should have saved their Rain cards until the very end in order to win.

So here are some (untested) variants that will hopefully take care of the hoarding.

Variant A:
Only one Rain card can be played on a person's turn at a time. Rain is rain, so the event is already occuring and can't occur more with another Rain card (unlike other cards where the event affects different areas of the board and can therefore happen again, there is only one village to rain on).

This means a player can't hoard them for the final turn, they will have to guess when the game will end and start playing them one at a time accordingly. If they want to clear up their hand, they should be allowed to discard extra Rain cards.

Variant B:
For those that want to allow multiple Rain cards to be played at once.

A player playing Rain while in Danger Zone 1 or before, it works exactly as printed.
A player playing Rain while in danger Zone 2 will only cool off by 20 degrees.
And a player playing Rain while in danger Zone 3 will only cool off by 10 degrees.

This will give incentive to play Rain cards earlier when they are more effective (and when there is more time to deal more damage to them). And if they do still choose to hoard them, they won't be as game-breaking using them all on the final turn.

Thematically, as the villages get hotter and hotter, the same rain will have a harder time cooling them off, which is why the temperature is lowered less and less.

Variant C:
For maximum effect, use both variants at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those ideas. Will likely try one or the other of them tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Van Roosendael
Belgium
Hulshout
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the first option, seems fair to me. I'm not sure about the second one though. I think I'll go with the first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Encheff
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I like both ideas too. Will try them out for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.