15 Posts

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneous movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to move friendly units simultaneously, as a stack? Either inf-inf or inf-tank, consuming 2 Operations Range in the process?
If not, which is what I think, what is the design intention?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't a way to do that in the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimalAce wrote:
There isn't a way to do that in the rules as written.

But to change the topic, you can do that in the World at War Series (and it doesn't even cost anything extra to do it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than giving the opponent a chance to shoot both units at once why would you want to do that? I generally avoid having two units in the same hex at any time, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Helgeson
United States
Mckinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to use 2 operations points, you can move two units from the same hex to the same hex which would have the same effect as moving them simultaneously. I can think of no advantage to possibly be gained by actually moving them together. I also try to never stack units if there is a potential to receive fire from enemy units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that within the rules it would be wrong to move two units together since they could receive fire together. It's only that (I think) units moved together in real war situations. Maybe not in a tight formation, but together. Infantry moved together with armor when attacking, or not? In short, moving one and then the other to get to the same place in a two minute turn seems a bit gamey to me if you do it for EVERY unit.
Maybe if there was some kind of limit on the number of activations that could take place in a turn, that would encourage both sides to move units together when the time is running short. Something like a fixed number of activations + random factor per turn for fog of war/uncertainty. There could be a little bonus on operations range if you move units together (2 for the price of 1.5 so you move two stacks for 3 operations range points) so you decide how you trade safety for agility...decisions.
Just thinking out loud here over a game system that gives so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality, all the units from both sides moved at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
In reality, all the units from both sides moved at the same time.

Exactly. And in comparison in almost every tabletop wargame ever designed units take turns moving. Thinking in terms of 'but in the real war things happened a different way' will not get you far. All rules systems can be gamey. They are games after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. That's why every designer decides to pay more attention to different aspects, chosing carefully the degree of abstraction/detail for each "action" or "procedure".
What I was saying is a ruling that many other tactical wargames at the same level of complexity include (I can think of LnL and CoH right now), and I was just wondering what could be the reason for not including it in BoB too.

Quote:
Thinking in terms of 'but in the real war things happened a different way' will not get you far.
Well, that's exactly the reason why Jim has designed a game engine that is so different from many other tactical games, in order to make players think and make decisions based on what really happened in a battlefield. And that's what I like about BoB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inefable urlik wrote:
Well, that's exactly the reason why Jim has designed a game engine that is so different from many other tactical games, in order to make players think and make decisions based on what really happened in a battlefield. And that's what I like about BoB.

That would only be true if an actual battlefield commander had not only absolute knowledge of the position and condition of every single one of his units and most of his enemies at all times and absolute control of every unit's actions, but also all the time in the world to think about what each unit should do and the luxury of sacrifising units to meet arbitrary win conditions.

Wargames are a theoretical exercise of war very far removed from the realities of it. For example in Scenario 2, the americans would never have a 'win' condition of 'eliminate all german units in X turns' which leads to a number of frontal assaults. The last time I won that scenario was by sacrifising reduced or supressed units to soak up defensive fire, before moving in with the real assault units. Do not confuse the theory as having anything to do with "what really happened in a battlefield".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
helge52 wrote:
If you want to use 2 operations points, you can move two units from the same hex to the same hex which would have the same effect as moving them simultaneously. I can think of no advantage to possibly be gained by actually moving them together. I also try to never stack units if there is a potential to receive fire from enemy units.

I can think of one benefit.

If you move separetely but into the same hex. then the first unit has the potential to be eliminated twice. once when it moves in and the second when the other unit moves in, Seeing as damage is allocated per hex.

If you move both unit at once, you've only one opportunity to eliminate the units.

It might work out better if your being fired on by 1 unit only. any more than that and it might be a bigger risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread...

The way I designed the game, I view all units moving within a player's operations range as moving at roughly the same time.

As has been pointed out, it is rarely wise to stack units. In my view, games that often have stacked squads at this scale are highly unrealistic. So, my first thought would not be to have stacks moving at the same time, it would be to have multiple units moving at the same time (on the board). This would have required many special rules. Given that I already consider them to be acting roughly at the same time if within a player's operations range, it is just much easier/there are much fewer rules to resolve the actions the way the game does now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your explanation, Jim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you move both unit at once, you've only one opportunity to eliminate the units.

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inefable urlik wrote:
Quote:

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

Actually, this is false as each opposing unit can only op fire once. When two units start in the same hex and wish to end their movement in the same hex:

- Units moving separately: The only way for all available enemy units to fire at both units together is at the last hex of the movement (where only the second unit would suffer from movement bonuces against it and is more often than not a hex with cover, whereas hexes in the middle of the move are often open); every other potential fire has to target either the first unit or the second one.

- Units moving together: Every single enemy unti that can fire, fires on both units at the same time.

The only possible exception is if part of the move happens within the final op fire range (effectively adjacent) to a defender without the intent to move into the defender's hex (making fire from both that defender impossible and preventing any other enemy units from firing into that hex as well), something that generally is by itself not only very rare, but also strongly ill-advised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.