Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, since the americans had initiative and moved first couldn't the panther op fire and then move so that the US inf are no longer adjacent? If so it seems as though it is best to close assualt during enemies initiative so that the Panther has already moved. Also if the US units are in the open I'm guessing the panther could move into one of their squares and initiate a raiding attack (overrun)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the video is used to just give an example of a close assault without giving all of the possibilities for the german player but in a real game couldn't the panther op fire and then move and if it moves into the same space as an american unit then start a raiding sequence? If so it seems as though death awaits anyone close assaulting a tank. Not so strange but given the lack of visibility historically to anywhere other than straight ahead, I was thinking of a house rule that states if a close assault is made and no unit is in the front of the tank (top of card; we always orient the tank to move with the top of the card leading the way or at least showing the facing of the tank) the tank has to roll a d10 and it cannot op fire unless it rolls a 8-10. this would make it much more dangerous for a tank to just move down a street flanked by buildings. I don't know, don't want to make the game more complicated, and maybe I have the initial impression about the panther's options in video 15 wrong.
Comments?
Thanks, Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grainywagons wrote:
Just curious, since the americans had initiative and moved first couldn't the panther op fire and then move so that the US inf are no longer adjacent? If so it seems as though it is best to close assualt during enemies initiative so that the Panther has already moved. Also if the US units are in the open I'm guessing the panther could move into one of their squares and initiate a raiding attack (overrun)?

This is all exactly right. It was just meant as an example showing infantry in position to do an assault. The panther definitely has options. It is probably better to close assault when you do not have initiative (or close assault an immobilized tank). The Panther would be able to move and escape the planned assault or even initiate a raid attack on any infantry in the open. Often it's best to move last.

It's also probably best as infantry to raid a tile (not close assault) when you have initiative. This way, during the combat phase when that second attack rolls around, you can get execute it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for your response, I am loving the game and my son, who is not a huge WWII fan, more into Space hulk and the Death Angel card game, is really intrigued by the board and card play so he is going to give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.