Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlier this week, a Seattle couple returning to the US after a visit here in Vancouver, were threatened with fines of $15,000 for having in their possession the contraband of, wait for it, 6 Kinder Surprise chocolate eggs ($2,500 per egg).

The story link is here - http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/Kinder+bust+Canadi...

This morning's local editorial cartoon made me laugh, so I thought I'd share.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things.

1) We can't have upstarts coming in here and making Cracker Jacks' paper prizes look bad.

2) Those are hazardous to the health of children whose parents are bad parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how the children of Europe suffer so, so much from the scourge that is the Kinder Egg. How...I mean, how...can they survive? Magic? Science? Maybe not giving them to kids that aren't old enough to know how to not eat the prize?

They must have some secret we don't know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for the Fed and the Kinder Egg thing has had me scratching my head for a while. Some senator must have choked on one after drinking too much Blue Label and breaking into the kids' Easter candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
It's amazing how the children of Europe suffer so, so much from the scourge that is the Kinder Egg. How...I mean, how...can they survive? Magic? Science? Maybe not giving them to kids that aren't old enough to know how to not eat the prize?

They must have some secret we don't know about.

You are aware that the population of Europe is in decline? I think you found the true reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Brunswick Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a crack house across the street that they converted to a Kinder Egg house. We see shady people going in and out all day and all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at least they were released and were able to keep the eggs, but yeah, stupid legislation. So it's a choking hazard for young children - you put a warning label on them and that's that.

Congress can't do any real work, so they create bills and then put stupid little riders in them like prohibiting Kinder Eggs. Oh, and it's OK to have us eat food that's been genetically modified, covered in dangerous pesticides or needlessly given loads of antibiotics. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the background is simpler. Ferrero the owners of Kinder Surprise are a well known family company making confectionary. Their arch rivals - much more than Nestle or Unilever - are Mars of the United States also a family company. The two families - for some reason - see above competition between the two of them as the measure of success.

Neither company does the other any favours in any of the markets and Mars just found a convenient way of keeping a fierce competitor from their market. Dont get me wrong Ferrero is known for making Mars' life very difficult back in Europe too - end result is simply that as customers we lack choice both over here and over where in the US.

I have the greatest respect for both companies who on the whole are certainly less evil than say Apple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.