UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else here notice that there are a select few that rabidly thumb everyone who supports their argument or attacks someone who disagrees with them?

I personally see this in people who feel very insecure with their opinion and debating skills. I also link it with people who really need and want an echo chamber.

Are some people really of the opinion that might equals right, perhaps? In other words, if more people agree with them, it somehow will make their opinion more correct?

It is one of the reasons I have always been against thumbing systems. Nonetheless, I find it very interesting to watch just who and what kind of person rabidly attach themselves to others that support them. I almost always see a trend.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trend you see is probably a pattern you are creating in your mind. It is human nature. Likely the trends you see could likely be explained by people you use the thumbing system at a greater rate than others, regardless of whether it is in a debate context or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Are you suggesting that thumbs or agreeing about some issue on a website constitute "might"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're overthinking thumbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I can't speak for everyone, but I thumb for very random reasons.

Sometimes, I agree with the post.

Sometimes, I disagree with the post, but think its well written.

Sometimes, I don't agree with the post, but like the poster, and want them to know that I read what they said, and that I was thinking of them.

Sometimes, I do it out of ironic spite.

And sometimes, I post to mark the last post in a long thread that I've been reading, but will get back to reasonably shortly.

Moral is-
Don't automatically that a thumb from me is automatically an endorsement of your position. Mostly it means that you attracted my attention, for good or ill. But since I'm lazy, with the attention span of a marmot, getting my attention with one's post here is an achievement in and of itself. So bravo!!

I know that I don't really look at how many 'thumbs' I have to determine if I've 'won' or 'lost' an internet argument. I've had enough debate experience to KNOW when I've won- rhetorically, at least- and pretty much pay attention to the thumbs only to see if I'm reaching a broader section of people.

Now, Geekgold Tips- that's a different kettle of fish. Those, I regard as 'SuperThumbs'. Though those are given out for pretty random reasons also people.

But anyone who wades into RSP looking to 'win' an internet fight deserves whatever mocking or ribbing that they encounter.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I personally see this in people who feel very insecure with their opinion and debating skills. I also link it with people who really need and want an echo chamber.

Well said. I have always wanted to make this exact point but was a bit unsure of how it would be taken by other RSPers. Thank you for having the courage to provide a place where we can bounce this idea around a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute... are you guys talking about the little green "dismember" button? I haven't exactly read all of BGG's policies, but I believe they're supposed to indicate that a user should be rendered physically incapable of typing more of their worthless gibberish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

Well said. I have always wanted to make this exact point but was a bit unsure of how it would be taken by other RSPers. Thank you for having the courage to provide a place where we can bounce this idea around a bit.

Oh quit trying to ride the man's coattails. Jesus, how unseemly. Besides, that point was more or less made incessantly back in the day when thumbs first showed up here, and when thumb-downs were removed--how did you miss all that jibber-jabber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Are you suggesting that thumbs or agreeing about some issue on a website constitute "might"?

I think that in some people's minds, yes. The more people that have similar opinions, the more valid their opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
The trend you see is probably a pattern you are creating in your mind. It is human nature. Likely the trends you see could likely be explained by people you use the thumbing system at a greater rate than others, regardless of whether it is in a debate context or not.

What's truly annoying is when some actual gibberish, such as SpaceGhost's stellar example above, gets thumbed by people who feel sure that they understood the actual intent. It's a lot like the experiments of Eisenstein, only with thumbs and words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
rinelk wrote:

I think that in some people's minds, yes. The more people that have similar opinions, the more valid their opinion.

If you prefer, we can express the validity of our collective opinions by investing in weapons of minor destruction and wandering the countryside in packs, inflicting our might on those with less valid opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

The people most rabid and seemingly insecure with their opinion end up being the same people that put actual effort into thumbing every post that either pats them on the back or agrees with them in any way. It is one thing to give a random thumbs up. If someone makes a brilliant point, I will be motivated to give a thumb. It is another to go around making sure EVERYONE that shares any semblance of an similar opinion a thumb... or even worse, a 1 cent tip to make make their pat on the back that more sad...

In forums without thumbs, you often see people quoting each other with responses such a "qft" or a snide side remark about how they are truly in the right and everyone else is soo wrong, etc. I think a thumb system results in less of these posts, but with a similar gang up effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I dip into RSP now and again, though I prefer not to post stuff on controversial topics (because the internet is forever). I do like to read debates, and will thumb stuff that I agree with or that is thought provoking, or funny, or that I otherwise feel deserves a 'thumb', depending on which way the wind is blowing.

If lots of people thumb a post, then that means they have a point (true 99% of the time, excluding non-serious posts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
OP

Off topic, but you have good taste in games. I think I have found my BGG twin. I'm not sure where you stand politically, though given that you're asking this question I'm guessing that you're a conservative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that certain posters will thumb any post, no matter how stupid or pointless as long as it attacks people who are expressing or regularly express an ideology that they don't agree with. I'm not sure that's a trait that's tied to a certain political ideology or not, I'd have to research the phenomenon a lot more than I have or than I want to.

Certainly if you thumb a post I consider dumb, there's a really good chance that I will consider you even dumber than the person whose opinion you're thumbing, since it makes you seem like not just a moron, but a kind of cowardly, "me too! megadittos!" moron who doesn't even have his own ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, checking to see who thumbed your own stuff... I know MisterCranky does it, which makes it morally questionable. Checking to see who thumbed other people's stuff is just weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
In forums without thumbs, you often see people quoting each other with responses such a "qft" or a snide side remark about how they are truly in the right and everyone else is soo wrong, etc. I think a thumb system results in less of these posts, but with a similar gang up effect.

Except that there's no notice mechanism built in. I've occasionally checked out my list of most-thumbed items to get a general sense for what people thought worthy of thumbs, but since I check back in several times a day, I rarely see most of the reaction to any particular post of mine. I assume for most others the situation is similar, so it seems like it would have more impact on those who visit less frequently and see more posts at a time.

Conversely, if a post criticizing my position gets a ton of thumbs, I rarely notice that, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Certainly if you thumb a post I consider dumb, there's a really good chance that I will consider you even dumber than the person whose opinion you're thumbing

How can you tell who thumbed a post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on the number next to the thumbs up button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Click on the number next to the thumbs up button.

Suck. Going to have to be more careful from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Sky Knight X wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

Oh quit trying to ride the man's coattails. Jesus, how unseemly. Besides, that point was more or less made incessantly back in the day when thumbs first showed up here, and when thumb-downs were removed--how did you miss all that jibber-jabber?

I thumbed Sky Knight X's post because I thought he was very cleverly mocking the OP. Oh, the irony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thumbed every post on general principles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't have time to read the whole thread but I thumbed everything because I fucking love echo chambers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
I don't have time to read the whole thread but I thumbed everything because I fucking love echo chambers.

Me too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't come easy, but I thumb my political opponents on a semi-regular basis when they say something intelligent or funny. It's the least I can do. They live such depraved lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.