BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: should I buy brass if... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did not like steam because it is too mathematical, but I love railways of the world because it has many variations due to the cards. I do not like the games too "framed" as well caylus, but I love puerto rico although it is a game with no luck

do you recommend to purchase brass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
First, Puerto Rico is not a game with no luck. The plantations come out randomly, which does effect the game. Brass has a touch more luck since the players get cards (though the cards are multi-use enough that you still usually have a number of options).

I don't think Brass is as mathematical as Steam - there isn't the constant counting to optimize the cube delivery - it's much more about seeing where the gaps in the economy are that you can exploit.

It's one of my favorite games, so I will obviously say you should get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is one of my favorite games, so I recommend you buy it. But I'll explain myself a little more to help you choose if my opinion should matter to you.

I don't find it too mathematical, but it does involve math. I find myself thinking about the amount of money I will need for my future plans. Towards the end of the game, I may have to think about 4 turns in advance and do a quick math problem in my head as to how much money I'm going to need to complete my long-term goals. So there's that. If that sounds like too much math, then it might not be the right fit for you. I personally love it.

The fact that you enjoy the "variations due to the cards" in RotW, makes me think you'll enjoy the way the cards are used in Brass. When I was first learning the game, I felt like my options were limited by my card draws, I soon learned that smart play can work around any combination of cards dealt. The cards are one of the strong suits of the game, although subtle at first.

It's not "framed" like Caylus (assuming I'm guessing correctly what that means). There are all sorts of paths to choose in Brass. And exploring those options to improve your skill at the game is what makes it great.

Lastly, I like Puerto Rico too. If you want a deeper, more challenging economic experience, Brass is a good option...in my opinion.

I hope this helps. Now I wish you luck finding a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks a lot for your answers!

in my opinion, caylus and steam are "framed", that is, it have a perfect mechanics, so better players will always win! instead, agricola, and le havre, have cards that can change the game, then everybody have opportunity, even players less talented. to help you understand: chess are "framed", because they have no variables, there are always the same piaces and the same things to do..the only thing that makes the games different is the skill of the players.
in almost all games of this genre, there is no chance of reaching the first player on the run, and we don't like it..

I hope I was able to explainblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is wiggle room with Brass based on the way cards are dealt. But I'd say that typically, the best player will still win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Altman
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
Just an FYI Brass is being reprinted and you can pre-order from the usual places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bodybuilder wrote:
do you recommend to purchase brass?

Always. I think Shane explained well. This is also one of my top games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay cutler
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
do you recommend also if I often will play it in 2p?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the cuff I would say Brass is mathier than Steam, but I would also recommend it. And it has a working 2-player fan variant, though it's not impossible you would find it samey over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.