New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received a couple complaints over the past month, from separate people, both along the lines of "Why are you letting [user x] get away with this?" followed by a link to an RSP post.

The answer is that since I've stopped reading the majority of RSP myself I've left it up to the volunteer group of mods to watch what gets flagged and bring up potential problems for discussion with me and the other forum mods. As the months have gone by, fewer and fewer RSP links are brought up. Where things stand now, RSP discussion is probably the least moderated it has ever been.

That's not to say that RSP discussions have been free of personal swipes, trolling, etc...I think some folks may have detected the loosening of the rules and have been taking advantage of the opportunity to say things to one another that wouldn't have been allowed before. But not reading most of the threads means what I do read tends to focus on the worst of it, so I don't really have a good sense of how typical it is.

Frankly, I'm fine with the more hands-off approach. It has been much better for my sanity. I chalk it up to raising a toddler - I get all the tantrums, piss and shit I need from him everyday - I don't need RSP to fill that niche

But the couple of complaints do give me some pause. So here is a poll to gather more information. As things stand, I'm not inclined to change anything about how things have been running. But I do want to know what you all think. So please respond to the poll, and share any other thoughts you'd like to in the thread itself.

Poll: RSP opinion poll
1. Compared to six months ago, the enjoyment I get out of RSP is
Significantly higher
Somewhat higher
About the same
Somewhat lower
Significantly lower
2. Compared to six months ago, the level of discussion in RSP is
Significantly higher
Somewhat higher
About the same
Somewhat lower
Significantly lower
3. Compared to six months ago, the frequency of personal attacks in RSP is
Significantly higher
Somewhat higher
About the same
Somewhat lower
Significantly lower
4. Agree or Disagree? The current state of RSP makes me less interested in reading/participating in RSP.
Significantly Agree
Somewhat Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Somewhat Disagree
Significantly Disagree
5. Agree or Disagree? The current state of RSP makes me less interested in reading/participating on BoardGameGeek.
Significantly Agree
Somewhat Agree
Neither Agree nor Disagree
Somewhat Disagree
Significantly Disagree
      126 answers
Poll created by Octavian

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
You're asking the level of discourse in RSP 3 months before an election?

I'm guessing about par with what I'm seeing on Facebook, and twitter, and reddit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I think people should be free to express an opinion here so the normal Gaming site rules should not always apply. I have cause to complain a thousand times and I am sure people I have had discussions with may feel the same about things I have said. But we do need some level of freedom as self censure really messes up honest debate.

If you don't like the heat get out of the kitchen. Wall flowers please find a site that suits your needs better and stop bloody whining.

All in all were gamers and that's what we love. We never forget that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I blame summer.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I'm guessing about par with what I'm seeing on Facebook, and twitter, and reddit...

Fair point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Fair point.

I trust you know that some of us may say things here that we would never dream of outside these boards. Coming here is like 'buyer beware' and it is very rarely personal (it never is for me)

A few people may not get that or some may cross the line sometimes but I see no major issues from this. I also respect the fact that a forum has this level of tolerance and diverse beliefs without exploding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Fair point.

All the more reason to get some more brown-shirts in here. The trains must run on time. Wait... bad analogy.

All the more reason to put together a posse now... no

All the more reason to polish up the old ban-hammer

no

Look, I'm incapable of saying this nicely, but please ban more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that we all know the few bad apples about whom the majority of complaints center, and I really don't think that your poll is the least bit helpful unless you create a few sock puppet "placebos" and see if you can generate some complaints about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I figure after November, RSP will be about 33% happier, 33% quieter and brooding, and 33% claiming it's as fucked up as it's always been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it to be significantly better here lately. Besides a few people, the group as a whole seems to be finding more common ground in conversation, even if we're not quite getting to the point of agreement very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I figure after November, RSP will be about 33% happier, 33% quieter and brooding, and 33% claiming it's as fucked up as it's always been.

And 100% more posts from Chapel about how he doesn't like RSP anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread just makes me want to start reporting everything just so Oct is forced to continue to wade in the filth with the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

And 100% more posts from Chapel about how he doesn't like RSP anyway.

I don't. I hate you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I've found it to be significantly better here lately. Besides a few people, the group as a whole seems to be finding more common ground in conversation, even if we're not quite getting to the point of agreement very often.

Then again, there's this. Not a regular, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I got it!

We can take shards of pottery, called ostrokons, and we can write the name of one person who we want to see sent off to Thebes, or some other place of exile.

They can't come back until the next year, or until we need them to fight a war that we've started with Chit Chat.

Oh. Wait. That's been tried already?

Damn.

Here's a novel idea-
How about everyone remember that this isn't really all that serious and try to laugh and have fun while engaging our inner policy wonk?

I don't see any need to ban anyone. I might be convinced of the need for more of us to not take ourselves so seriously.....

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been here long enough to give a "six months ago" metric, but I think it's juvenile and irritating when posters routinely call anyone who disagrees with them morons but in the same breath cry and whine that they're being marginalized and should be treated with more respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I haven't been here long enough to give a "six months ago" metric, but I think it's juvenile and irritating when posters routinely call anyone who disagrees with them morons but in the same breath cry and whine that they're being marginalized and should be treated with more respect.

Good points. If we see anyone do that we'll be sure to give them a good thrashing and send them on their way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I've made a list of those who would be best banned.

Curt - just how much longer before everyone else sees through that cheerfulness to the extreme passive aggressive disruption underlying it?

Darilian - he claims to know about the Holocaust but hasn't referenced Sebald once! This is insufferable.

Everyone who does know that correlational studies can't be used to rule out causation but won't correct those in error - these people are a danger to the good name of vaccination, science, reason and The Enlightenment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:

Everyone who does know that correlational studies can't be used to rule out causation but won't correct those in error - these people are a danger to the good name of vaccination, science, reason and The Enlightenment.
I'm more worried about the dimwits trying to catch whales with buckets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Any analogy in a tea storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that Octavian has been gone. Can we get him to stay away longer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I like that Octavian has been gone. Can we get him to stay away longer?

That's not very nice... but I kind of support it, at least in the moderation sense. I wasn't aware that moderation had decreased (well, obviously very few people were if you had to make this thread) but it's definitely a good move. I've seen several posts recently that made me go "huh, really hope they don't get put in detention for that" and luckily they never were, which means they've been free to contribute to other discussions. There has never been any comment posted here that should make one see that as anything other than a positive outcome. So maybe keep the reduced moderation, but without necessarily exiling yourself from the community.

Side note: So apparently there are several people here that are so distraught over the state of moderation in RSP right now that they are highly demotivated to come to BGG at all. There's really nothing to be said that could make that sound sillier than it already sounds. Anyone brave enough to lay claim to such a vote? It was all in the name of irony, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So people want RSP anarchy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
So people want RSP anarchy?

Yes, more or less. At least I think that was the majority consensus following the "Free BJ" campaign, it just works better for this kind of forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level of philosophical discussions down slightly.
Use of pointless vulgarity up slightly over the last few weeks.
Openness of participants up slightly.

We're going to have a wave of heated political conversations breaking from the south with occasional bursts of clear thinking and insight.

Over all, much ado about nothing and in the end all will just be sound and fury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.