Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancé and I usually play games on weekday and weekend nights for about 45 minutes. Most I our games can be completed in that time frame.

I've been craving something meatier.

I've been thinking about Pret a Portier or Vinhos, but am worried they might be too heavy. The most complex game she's played and enjoyed is Ear of the Ring, although the 3+ hour time commitment is a lot to ask of her - I think we've played our second edition copy thrice.

Any other readily available suggestions?

We've had Agricola and weren't crazy about it, but we do like worker placement.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is just the thing you desire, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Schwartzkopf wrote:
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is just the thing you desire, my friend.

jobin13 wrote:
the 3+ hour time commitment is a lot to ask of her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep Agricola and give it time. My wife and I did not like it at first but it's slowly become one of our best games. It really is a very fun, well designed game. We played the family version till we got comfortable and now we use cards every game.

I wanted to add. I really sucked at it till my 10th play or so. There is much to learn but it's worth it. We are at 20 + plays now and it never gets old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass will be available again soon and it is a knock-out 2p game with the 2p map and 2p rules found in the Brass variant forum.

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
read about them but have not played ...
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Stone Age
The Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Le Havre is what you need - one of my wife's (and mine too) favourite games, great with two players. Also, it can be played in two modes: long, which takes around 2 hours for 2p, and short which takes 45-60 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play ALOT of 2 player Euro's with the wife. Here's our curent favorites (in order):

1. Vinhos
2. Caylus
3. Grand Cru
4. Lords of Waterdeep
5. Navegador
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I gave up on Agricola after 5 plays. I didn't find the game boring or anything, it was just that, thinking over my play experience, I realized that I've never gotten any enjoyment out of the game.

With 2 players I mostly play card games, so I'm not sure what the best euro is for 2. Glen More works well with 2. As to whether is's meaty or not, I'll leave that determination to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you already have the best meaty one hour euro for two: Agricola. But hey, just MHO.

My other favorite which fit your criteria: The Princes of Florence, much more about optimizing your actions than about the auction, this plays different but still great with two. Puerto Rico, the governor selects three roles and the other player two roles, and the trading house has only three spots instead of four, I really love this game with two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I see in your collection:

* +1 to The Castles of Burgundy.

* Glen More: a lot of meat in a small package, and can fit your timeframe.

Outside your collection:

* Macao: Another Feld design, and excellent.

* Goa: just reprinted and available, an auction game that really works 2p. Probably the heaviest of my suggestions.

* Sadly OOP, but if you stumble on it, well worth it: Vikings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im with you about Agricola -- just no fun.

Pillars of the Earth has a terrific two-player variant listed in the forums.

Lords of Waterdeep is particularly fun with the DnDeeples instead of cubes.

Ora et Labora is superb! Le Havre gets less play time now, but is different enough to be on the list.

Caylus works but better are:

Mage Knight

Eclipse

Defenders of the Realm

Pandemic

Brass

Dominant Species, if you each use three animals

Colosseum, if you each run two shows and score your lowest toward the win.

Glen More

K2

Hawaii

Finca

Carolus Magnus

Yggdrasil

London

Hamburgum

Thurn and Taxis

Castles of Burgundy

The Road to Canterbury

Power Grid with the Robots expansion (we like using two)

Troyes

Middle Earth Quest

Dungeon Lords (adequate 2P rules)

Fresco

Egizia

Macao

Notre Dame

Starship Catan

Mr. Jack in New York (and Mr. jack Pocket)

Vikings

Antike

Navegador, but the market mechanism is far better with more players

Stronghold

Belfort

Amyitis

Alba Longa

Magnum Sal

Asara

Norenberc

The Speicherstadt

Leonardo Da Vinci

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Brass will be available again soon and it is a knock-out 2p game with the 2p map and 2p rules found in the Brass variant forum.

Highly recommended.

+1 to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kouris
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Age of Industry with the Age of Industry Expansion: Great Lakes & South Africa.
Two hours of play for two players (but first you'll have to print the map).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
The most complex game she's played and enjoyed is Ear of the Ring

Ear of the Ring is my favorite jewelry based Euro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tourney is a great two player card game, otherwise I'll echo others in saying Castles of Burgundy and Stone Age. Innovation is also great with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Highly recommended.

Brass for auction here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer Lords of Waterdeep as a 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan
Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep
Caylus
Vinhos

All play well with 2 and have a bit of meat. Most are right around 60-90 minutes. I've been able to complete 2 player games of Trajan in 35 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg! (Lot of strategy in a small game. Looks simple at first, plays simple, but takes a long time to master. Plays quick too 30-50min a game, so you can get multiple games in a night.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village: It is a nice midweight game, simpler to learn, a lot less fiddly, and faster to set up and play than Agricola (which I consider a mid-heavy). After 7 plays with my gf I can say it is excellent and deserves more strategy than it seems at first look. You can try different paths to victory, very well balanced, and time is a additional resource which I had never seen in other games before. The best midweight game I ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Highly recommended.

-- Scrambles -- there's what ? a 2-player variant for Brass ? And you waited this long to tell me ?

Seriously : thanks for the info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:

I've been thinking about Pret a Portier or Vinhos, but am worried they might be too heavy.

Pret a Porter is a game that's both heavy and extremely random - my group which likes heavy euros, didn't like it at all. And no way you can cram a game in in 45 minutes.

Game requirements : 2-player, somewhat meaty and 45-minutes - I'd say
Lungarno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jim, if you're asking for a game just for 2, then the meatiest and highest ranked right now would be Twilight Struggle. However you'd rarely finish it in 45mins.
My suggestion which can be finished in 45 mins:
1. BattleCON: War of Indines. My ultimate fighting game of choice with lots of double guessing/ punch trading/ understanding of your opponent (and his/ her character) required. You could read my review here: Battlecon review
2. Summoner Wars. This game is easier to teach and involves more luck, but by no means it's a filler. Try it on an iOS first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sugi wrote:
Keep Agricola and give it time. My wife and I did not like it at first but it's slowly become one of our best games. It really is a very fun, well designed game. We played the family version till we got comfortable and now we use cards every game.

I wanted to add. I really sucked at it till my 10th play or so. There is much to learn but it's worth it. We are at 20 + plays now and it never gets old.

I have owned and traded away/sold Agricola twice now. I like it fine, as does Rach. It wasn't our favorite. We like our games to be a bit less punishing. Even after we knew what we were doing, those first few rounds are still rough going. And even though we do get to build up our farm - which we like! - we don't like having to be generalists...we tend to like to specialize.

I don't disagree that its a great game - we just don't enjoy it.

thedacker wrote:

Highly recommended.

Sounds good. Will look into it when it becomes available.

bikefreak wrote:

Considering All Creatures. We have Stone Age - love it, but not terribly meaty. We also have Castles of Burgundy and love it - some meat, but not as much as I'm looking for.

godunow wrote:
Le Havre is what you need - one of my wife's (and mine too) favourite games, great with two players. Also, it can be played in two modes: long, which takes around 2 hours for 2p, and short which takes 45-60 mins.

Definitely been looking at Le Havre for awhile. I can NOT wrap my head around the iPad app however, which is giving me pause. I don't think Rach will like the multitude of options available. She can get overwhelmed when her choices get too myriad.

skyzero wrote:
Play ALOT of 2 player Euro's with the wife. Here's our curent favorites (in order):

1. Vinhos
2. Caylus
3. Grand Cru
4. Lords of Waterdeep
5. Navegador

Picked up Vinhos
We like Caylus on iPad.
Grand Cru didn't look like it would be interesting with 2 with the auction - is that a wrong assumption?
I found Lord of Waterdeep to be dull and boring. In either case, there is not much meat there.
Navegador is one of my favorite games. I love it.

sdougla2 wrote:
With 2 players I mostly play card games, so I'm not sure what the best euro is for 2. Glen More works well with 2. As to whether is's meaty or not, I'll leave that determination to you.

We have Glen More and enjoyed our first play. Didn't feel too meaty - but definitely want to get it to the table again. It survived the last auction, so that'd a good sign.

The Princes of Florence, much more about optimizing your actions than about the auction, this plays different but still great with two. Puerto Rico, the governor selects three roles and the other player two roles, and the trading house has only three spots instead of four, I really love this game with two!
[/q]

Princes has the auction, which we had a hard time getting over.

We like Puerto Rico plenty (in fact, in a fit of madness, I picked up the anniversary edition)...I guess I'm looking for more of a resource management euro...? plus more meat

jaysachs wrote:
* Macao: Another Feld design, and excellent.

* Goa: just reprinted and available, an auction game that really works 2p. Probably the heaviest of my suggestions.

* Sadly OOP, but if you stumble on it, well worth it: Vikings.

We both hated Macao. Too punishing, resources were too scarce.

Goa is at the top of my list. Waiting for my FLGS to get it in.

Im with you about Agricola -- just no fun.

Pillars of the Earth has a terrific two-player variant listed in the forums.

Lords of Waterdeep is particularly fun with the DnDeeples instead of cubes.

Ora et Labora is superb! Le Havre gets less play time now, but is different enough to be on the list.

Caylus works but better are:[/q]

Eclipse? With two? hmm...I'm interested in trying, but Rach doesn't love (read: hates) the space theme....but this may be worth trying on her...

Defenders is great, but I don't love co-ops and she doesn't like its length.

Pandemic is solid. Won't ever leave my collection, but is lacking the meat.

Brass - not available.

DS - 3 animals would be 2 too many for her.

Glen More - owned

K2 - found a bit dull.

Hawaii - considering...the thought of setup is really what is holding me back at this point.

Finca - light

Carolus Magnus - will look into it!

Yggdrasil - awesome art, great theme, don't like co-ops.

London - one of our favorites.

Hamburgum - been considering it, but since I love Navegador so much, been wondering if this is too similar?

Thurn Taxis - too light

Castles of Burgundy - owned and enjoy

Road to Canterbury - with 2?

Troyes - I love it, Rach hated the iconography and could never get a handle on it, or the combos. BGA for me.

Middle Earth Quest - got it early on (when we first started playing games) and neither of us were ready. Will definitely think about acquiring again.

Dungeon Lords - heard 2p was bad.

Fresco - Rach liked, I thought was boring.

Egizia - we love, not super meaty though

Notre Dame - again, we don't like games with a lot of scarcity or punishment. With this game being compared to In the Year of the Dragon, its a pass for us.

Starship Catan - I hate Catan, and this one is hard to find, is it not?

Mr. Jack in NY - we have the original Mr. Jack, as well as pocket.

Vikings - OOP

Antike - been considering, but hard to find(ish?)

Navegador - awesome. we love it.

Stronghold - played it once, found it not enjoyable.

Belfort - own it, like it.

Amyitis - considering it - looks ugly, and Rach likes pretty games.

Alba Longa - with 2?

Asara - just got it, looks promising, but not too meaty

Norenberc - would love to get this one, but its a little hard to find, and doesn't look like the market would work too well/be too interesting with 2

The Speicherstadt - considering it.

Leonardo Da Vinci - with 2?

Ianotoole wrote:
Tourney is a great two player card game, otherwise I'll echo others in saying Castles of Burgundy and Stone Age. Innovation is also great with two.

Would love to pick up Tournay, but Rach hated the art and iconography in Troyes, so...

I like Innovation OK. It is definitely fun, but for such a random card game, I wish it was shorter.

dsant wrote:
Trajan
Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep
Caylus
Vinhos

All play well with 2 and have a bit of meat. Most are right around 60-90 minutes. I've been able to complete 2 player games of Trajan in 35 minutes.

Definitely considering Trajan - will look more closely when its easier to get.

Triad1 wrote:
Saint Petersburg! (Lot of strategy in a small game. Looks simple at first, plays simple, but takes a long time to master. Plays quick too 30-50min a game, so you can get multiple games in a night.)

Owned and traded. We weren't crazy about it.

tigrevasco_2003 wrote:
Village: It is a nice midweight game, simpler to learn, a lot less fiddly, and faster to set up and play than Agricola (which I consider a mid-heavy). After 7 plays with my gf I can say it is excellent and deserves more strategy than it seems at first look. You can try different paths to victory, very well balanced, and time is a additional resource which I had never seen in other games before. The best midweight game I ever played.

Will definitely look into this when it becomes easier to get. (Been considering TMG's preorder...)

eddy_sterckx wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

I've been thinking about Pret a Portier or Vinhos, but am worried they might be too heavy.

Pret a Porter is a game that's both heavy and extremely random - my group which likes heavy euros, didn't like it at all. And no way you can cram a game in in 45 minutes.

Game requirements : 2-player, somewhat meaty and 45-minutes - I'd say
Lungarno

Glad to hear that - I was torn between Pret and Vinhos while at my FLGS on Saturday...looks like I may have made the better choice?

Never heard of Lungarno - will look into it! Thanks!

Lubi123 wrote:
Hey Jim, if you're asking for a game just for 2, then the meatiest and highest ranked right now would be Twilight Struggle. However you'd rarely finish it in 45mins.
My suggestion which can be finished in 45 mins:
1. BattleCON: War of Indines. My ultimate fighting game of choice with lots of double guessing/ punch trading/ understanding of your opponent (and his/ her character) required. You could read my review here: Battlecon review
2. Summoner Wars. This game is easier to teach and involves more luck, but by no means it's a filler. Try it on an iOS first.

Yes, I fear Twilight Struggle is too long and complex for Rachie. If we're going to play a 2.5+ hour game is this house, I'm always going to choose War of the Ring, just because us having the time and her being in the mood is such a rare intersection of events.

BattleCON is something I considered, but she doesn't like special powers too much.

That being said, I was able to get her to play Summoner Wars. I LOVE the game, and have been playing on ios non-stop. She likes it OK and will agree to play. Unfortunately she has only beaten me twice (and once was a game I maybe could have won but might have made a bad move? maybe?).

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and input!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.