Subject: All Fall Down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it was Friday at Indooroopilly, our Critical Mass Game Club was in full swing and I wanted to play Battlestar. I had two newbies to this game (Chris and Nic) and a player who had played only once before (Nic..no its a different Nic, honest).

Chris was Adama, Nic was Apollo, Nic (the other one) was Saul Tighe and I was Galen. That meant Nic (the Apollo one, not the Saul one) got to be President and Chris was Admiral. The knowledge that he had two nuclear warheads to play with put a gleam in his eye, which is probably why I suspected him of being a Cyclon. Chris suspected me of being a Cylon because, well, everyone always suspects me of being a Cylon. In actual fact Nic was a Cylon (no, the Saul one, not the Apollo one).

Anyway, the first thing of interest that happened was that Apollo shot up all the raiders and Adama used the ship's weapon systems to damage the base star, which I then destroyed with a critical hit. This set the pace for the early game. We jumped and had no external threats for some time. So naturally they put me in the brig. Well, a crisis card put me in the brig but no one seemed inclined to help me out of the brig for a while.

Adama relinquished a nuclear warhead (perhaps a little reluctantly) to help Baltar build his Cylon detector. Nic (the Apollo one) played president a bit with some Quorum card gathering while Nic (the Saul one) puttered around appearing to be helpful. I pointed out that we wanted to get something into the red before we reached the sleeper phase so that the sympathiser would be on the human side. I think Nic (the Cylon) was trying to keep us in the blue but, just before our next jump morale went red. Everything else was only about one notch down from starting values.

So we jump. Out comes the sympathiser. Its Nic (you know, the President, Apollo). So, ok he's really a human sympathiser but he still goes to the Brig just after I get out. He seems a bit disgruntled that he can't pardon himself. However the President settles down to running the fleet from the brig just as Cylon attack after Cylon attack begins.

We use executive commands all over the place so that Saul and I can blast away at the Base stars. I destroy three while Saul somehow keeps missing. The fact he is willing to blaze away at the base stars makes me certain he can't be a Cylon. I should have noticed he wasn't firing at the raiders (all of them ended up in play) or the heavy raiders (also all in play). The comms room was Jammed. Our vipers out and about where all piloted by cadets. Our best pilot (and president) was still in the brig.

Viper after viper was sent to the damage pile (only one was destroyed), then the civilian ships start getting vaporised. Nic keeps shooting innefectually at the base stars. The other Nic finally gets out of the Brig and leaps into the FTL control room. I have blasted two base stars but they keep getting replaced. Its desperate. We are down to 1 population. There are only two vipers left and four exposed civilian ships. Nic (the Apollo one) is convinced by Nic, well and the rest of us, to press the big red shinny button early.

We missjump. Game over. But it was a glorious try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You may know this and have been playing with house rules, but in case you don't, Adama/Tigh/Apollo/Chief is not a valid crew for a four-player game. There should have been one fewer Military Leader and one more Political Leader than there was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
You may know this and have been playing with house rules, but in case you don't, Adama/Tigh/Apollo/Chief is not a valid crew for a four-player game. There should have been one fewer Military Leader and one more Political Leader than there was.

Or one fewer Support and one more Political Leader

The main thing is that you need a Political Leader (and a Pilot) before you can have a second Military Leader...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apollo was pretty much the worst character for this non-valid crew. Not only is he the only character who takes the presidency from Bill Adama (which would have made things passably functional), but he's a terrible president because Food/Water Shortages trigger his disadvantage.

But, as the experienced player, I feel like it was your responsibility to choose a character that sets up a balanced game. True BSG masters say "I will sit in the last seat or the third seat, your choice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hybridfive wrote:
Apollo was pretty much the worst character for this non-valid crew. Not only is he the only character who takes the presidency from Bill Adama (which would have made things passably functional), but he's a terrible president because Food/Water Shortages trigger his disadvantage.
Indeed... it's no coincidence that he's close to the top of the lines of successions for both (all 3 if using CAG from Exo) title cards, and several of those events have title holders discarding cards.

Although a bit of a stretch, we have been able to trace a few games humans lost where Apollo had ended up discarding 4s and 5s, and subsequent skill checks caused us to lose resources we otherwise wouldn't had if Apollo was able to play those higher valued skill cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.