Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Battleship Galaxies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactic card against energy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As explained into the rules, a player can discard a Tactic Card anytime to gain one energy point. Well.

But I think that only one point for any kind of Tactic Card is unfair.

Indeed, the energy-cost to play a Tactic Card varies from 1 to 6. So why don't, for instance, retrieve half energy-cost of the card when discarding it, rounded down ?

In this way, discarding a more powerfull Tactic Card is compensed by retrieving more energy points.

Any advice ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it really is more powerful to you, then you'll probably want to spend the energy to activate it.

If you're discarding it, it is by definition not powerful in your current situation (because you'd hold on to it otherwise), and thus it doesn't make sense that you get more energy from a higher-cost card than a lower-cost one.

Also, your rule would make a really cheap tactic possible: Filling your deck with exclusively high-cost cards (because the only restriction for deck building is the number of cards), and planning to discard them all for energy that you'll then use to fuel your ship's movement and shots. The game is just not made for your house rule at all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
If it really is more powerful to you, then you'll probably want to spend the energy to activate it.

Not necessarily : imagine you get a hand with three copies of the same powerful tactic card, it could be interesting to discard one of them to obtain several energy points to be able to play immediatly the two others copies, for example.
Powerful cards are useful in a certain context of game, not all along the game.

haslo wrote:

If you're discarding it, it is by definition not powerful in your current situation (because you'd hold on to it otherwise), and thus it doesn't make sense that you get more energy from a higher-cost card than a lower-cost one.
Of course yes, it makes sense ! Energy is also used to activate ships and to charge weapons. The more energy you have, the more activations and charges you can do at the same turn !

haslo wrote:

Also, your rule would make a really cheap tactic possible: Filling your deck with exclusively high-cost cards (because the only restriction for deck building is the number of cards), and planning to discard them all for energy that you'll then use to fuel your ship's movement and shots. The game is just not made for your house rule at all.

And so ? A tactic is a tactic. Each player could have his own strategy. This one is not cheaper than an other.

You sound not really open-mind nor imaginative.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickski wrote:
You sound not really open-mind nor imaginative.

Thanks

I must admit that instead of playing (and essentially, playtesting) a game with house rules, I'd often much rather play another game instead. If I don't like an aspect in a game, I'll probably play something else that does the same things well that this game does, while it does other things better that this one doesn't.

In the case of small fleet battles in space, I'm putting my hopes in the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - mostly because Battleship Galaxies looks like it won't get any expansions, and it would really need them for fleet building flexibility and strategic scope...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

I must admit that instead of playing (and essentially, playtesting) a game with house rules, I'd often much rather play another game instead. If I don't like an aspect in a game, I'll probably play something else that does the same things well that this game does, while it does other things better that this one doesn't.

This is your point of view, no problem with that but I don't share it at all. Your first response in this thread gave the idea that Your response was the right one and no one could have another think. That's the reason of my last sentence...

To enhance my point of view of the benefits of custom rules, let's use the example of Mansions of Madness. It is a great game but since the third play, my friends and I play it with many custom rules in order to improve the immersive atmosphere of the game among other things.

I don't see any issue with that, no matter what you think about this.

Some games perfectly fit the original rules, others can really be see as toolboxes to build the game you like based on original rules and spirit, using the great original material parts.

haslo wrote:

In the case of small fleet battles in space, I'm putting my hopes in the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - mostly because Battleship Galaxies looks like it won't get any expansions, and it would really need them for fleet building flexibility and strategic scope...

I agree. That's a pity that no expansion seems to be planned for BG...

I hope too that X-Wing will be as exciting as expected !
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as long as you know what you get yourself into, house ruling is not a problem at all

In this case here, you'd really have to test whether this makes the "discardable deck" strategy dominant or not. If it doesn't, it'll change gameplay rather fundamentally, but might be fun indeed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

In this case here, you'd really have to test whether this makes the "discardable deck" strategy dominant or not. If it doesn't, it'll change gameplay rather fundamentally, but might be fun indeed.

In fact, this idea came to my mind yesterday evening, after having played my first complete game.

And this way of discarding a Tactic Card no matter is cost surprised me as I used to deal with different rules for this kind of action. In Descent, for instance, when the Overlord discards Event Card, he receives an amount of Threat tokens according to the cost of the discarded card.

So I opened this thread to know if any player had try this in BG as well.

I will try myself after having played a few games with basic rules, in order to be more familiar with the game before changing any rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made some house rules for dicovery tiles. I put all face down on the play boards. Each time a ship comes in contact with a tile, I roll a dice. 5+ an it exists otherwise it gets discarted.

I think its a shame that we won't see any expansion. Good concept, nice (but improvable) rules (the costs of ships of different experience and of the cards aren't really balanced), great miniatures... But this games lives from scenarios and 70% of them in the rulebook weren't good. No support online - thats a killer for such a game. A real shame. I hope that in some years some company will pick it up and improve it, republish it with the necessary support...




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.