Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amba Alagi mountain was one of the last and more important places of Italian resistance, besides Keren and Gondar, but it is not depicted on the mapboard of AOI. I suppose it should be approximately in hex 2810, in the road between Makale and Dessie, but in the game there are just rough hexes along the route, and the Amba Alagi, with more than 3000 metres high, should be clearly on a mountain hex. It was fortified and included guns in caves and accumulated supply.

So, making hex 2810 a mountain hex and including a fortress counter with some supply could simulate the Amba Alagi position. It's strange this position has been ignored in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Google maps view of the area at roughly Europa scale..may help with location and placement.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Amba+Alagi,+South+Tigray,+T...

Nice to see this game getting some love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be in 2912. Not that I'm claiming perfection for the maps, even with the minute attention which 'official' Europa maps received they still had a semi-regular hex by hex critique of their maps in TEM. AO was a 'fan' effort published in S&T at a time of much flux so I dare say that whatever the designer provided in terms of map was adopted. What sayeth Wavell's War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
ross_menzies wrote:
Could be in 2912. Not that I'm claiming perfection for the maps, even with the minute attention which 'official' Europa maps received they still had a semi-regular hex by hex critique of their maps in TEM. AO was a 'fan' effort published in S&T at a time of much flux so I dare say that whatever the designer provided in terms of map was adopted. What sayeth Wavell's War?

We could also consider hex 2811; but hexes 2911 and 2912 seem too near of Dessie... certainly hex 2912 is a mountain hex, and this seems a good compromise, but the road should go through it to represent the road near the Amba Alagi.

Yes, if someone could post an image of the corresponding section of Wavell's map it would be great...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We could also consider hex 2811; but hexes 2911 and 2912 seem too near of Dessie... certainly hex 2912 is a mountain hex, and this seems a good compromise, but the road should go through it to represent the road near the Amba Alagi.

Yes, if someone could post an image of the corresponding section of Wavell's map it would be great...

It depends upon the actual effect of Amba Alagi rather than its actual position. If the fortress prevented use of the road historically then for sure it should be sitting on top of it. If however it did no more than interfering with the road's use, then shifting it to 2912 is an acceptable pragmatic interpretation of the terrain. Don't ask me, I have actually read the S.African & RAF Official Histories of the campaign but that was in the nineties. My brain worked better then but.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:

Nice to see this game getting some love!

Concur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Menzies
Australia
Katoomba
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my JET WW map Amba Alagi isn't on the map in that game either. It is however almost certainly mountain since according to the google earth it is on the road between Alamata & Mekele the hexes in WW from Alomata & Macalle (presumably the same towns) are all mountain apart from Alomata itself, which is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.