Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I live smack in the middle of a metropolitain city. And yet, I have pretty varied wildlife in my backyard.

We've come to know a whole bunch of grey squirrels. They eat right from our hand. There are new ones regularly as squirrels tend to be killed off fairly quickly in cities. We've even spotted their dreys in the surrounding trees.

There's a mother skunk and three of her brood that come out every night. And, there is a single racoon that we see from time-to-time.

Interestingly there are 3 ravens that tend a nest in the giant sugar maple in our front yard. What's up with that--three?

I just adore the woodpecker. We hear her every morning. I can't understand why they don't automtically get brain damaged.

At night the bats come out. It's amazing how well they fly in near pitch darkness. There are a slew of dragonflies about, though we only saw them glowing for a couple of nights.

The best is the pair of cardinals that took up residence in our backyard though we haven't spotted the nest yet. Gorgeous birds.

Does anyone know of a single poison that'll get rid of all of them? Brand names are welcome. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just those listed, or would you be content with a modest amount of collateral damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be living in a gateway to hell. I speak from experience - our last house was one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just try living in the country.

Our dog got upset yesterday around my car and was quite adamant that something was in the engine. I finally gave in and opened up the hood.

A young ground hog was lying at the top of the engine. Good grief.

We of course often have deer around, sometimes even in our yard. In winter they love rolling around on the ground in our yard.

My uncle next door (who hates us and has nothing to do with us), has lots of bird feeders and such. So, we have lots of birds: cardinals, bluejays, robins, hummingbirds, crows, occasional buzzards, sometimes a hawk, geese, warblers, turtledoves, unseen but heard woodpeckers, occasional owls, once a kingfisher, swallows, and then numerous birds I can't identify. A number of years ago, used to have a family of turkeys that would come into the yard.

I saw a blue dragonfly today flying around. Squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits run around and the dog occasionally digs up moles out of the yard. We unfortunately always have wasps flying around and we have various bees as well. The biggest bug I've come across has been the tomato horn worm. We often see a plethora of butterflies and moths. Unfortunately, this year has seen a deluge of ticks - ick.

Don't forget snakes either. Haven't seen foxes up here, but have elsewhere and of course raccoons and opossum are common. So, we have lots of wildlife here.

Edit: Oh, yes, the bats come out every night to feed on the mosquitoes - thank goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have our dog who couldn't catch a fly if it landed in his mouth, but he loves chasing cats and rabbits, though he gives up easily (he's a realist sometimes).

Despite this, we have rabbits, cardinals, house finches, house wrens, house sparrows, gold finches, blue jays, mourning doves, grackles, snakes, toads, lots of different bugs, not to mention pests of the garden (something satisfying about killing armies of aphids and squash bugs), neighborhood cats, loose dogs, bats, very few mosquitoes (this year anyway) and sometimes a squirrel. No deer though, even though I'm out in the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.