7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Large Monster start of encounter placement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gaumond
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there fellow BoardGameGeek gamers. We had a question come up to us last night and it was a really crucial, life or death question.

During the monster placement at the start of the encounter, the Overlord player had to place an open group. He chose the Shadow Dragon and had to place it on a tile. He then took the shadow dragon, placed two squares on the starting tile and the rest of its base on another tile. It was really crucial because the way he placed the dragon at the start of encounter prevented the heroes from rushing to the objective, forcing them to kill it first and giving the overlord more than enough time to raise 4 zombies. Furthermore, the overlord had one master monster healing the dragon each turn.

If the Dragon had to be wholly placed on the starting tile, the heroes would've been able to rush behind him and would've killed the master monster healing the dragon.

What do you think? Should large monsters be entirely placed on their starting tile or if the overlord played right by only placing one of its base square on the starting tile. I could not find the answer in the rulebook. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO all on the starting tile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's anything in the rules that stipulate this, however we have been playing that the entire base (unless impossible) on the tile the creature is starting on.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theis Magle
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quest Guide Page 1:

Monster figures may be placed anywhere on the tile or tiles indicated in the setup instructions, provided that those spaces are empty. If there is not enough room on the map tile for all the monsters in the group to be placed excess monsters may be placed in the closest available empty spaces.

It does not use time on explaning large monster, but I would rule that it could only cover the tile except if it was not posible. (if you have 2 groups in the same area, I think it would be ok to place the first and then force the dragon to go outside the tile)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Davis
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand in the rules, you are only allowed to place outside the scenario limits if it is not possible to fit everything in the listed tile. If there was a way for the Shadow Dragon to have been placed in the listed tile fully at all, then it should have been placed there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gaumond
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. That really makes sense and I too think we should have played this way.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Ruys
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes what blake said is correct, the overlord should first try to place a monster completely in the correct map tile, and is allowed to pass into another tile if he partly or completely cant fit inside the correct tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.