Subject: Real Playing Time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duy Lam
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I'm interested in this game, and I'd like to know -- how much time does it really take to play? We typically have 4-5 people and almost never less than that in our group. For typical players, how long does the game actually take? I know officially it says 2 hours, but official listed times can by quiet off sometimes... and this seems like a pretty epic game so I don't know that it's actually playable in 120 mins.

My group tends to avoid games that go above 3.5 hours, sometimes no matter how great the game is (we don't often have a ton of time to play and some of them get a little fatigued after 3 hours or so). So the playing time affects our buying decision a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably plan for 1 hour per player the first time you play. Depending on your group, that could get much faster on the next play or it might take 3-4 plays. But it should get faster.

You could always play to a time limit for your first couple plays of the game. For example, if you have to end at 10pm, say that the turn you're on at 9:30 will be the last turn of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen occasional complaints here that this game takes too long, but I haven't had a problem with it. I think it does go a little slow when people are learning the game, but I feel it really does take the stated 30 minutes per player once everyone is familiar with how the game works.

The game has fixed number of turns. That is what keeps the game from running on and on. Whomever has the most victory points at the end of that last turn wins. One thing that is EASY to do, especially when you are first learning, is to forget to advance the turn marker. I suspect that is sometimes the basis for the complaints that the "game takes too long".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first game, plan on 1h per player. For your next 2-3, dial it down to 45-50.

After that, should be under 40/player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
For your first game, plan on 1h per player. For your next 2-3, dial it down to 45-50.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatul√Ľk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:

That pretty much sums it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie riegle
United States
norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
It will be time well spent...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important thing is not waiting for people to implement their actions. Once somebody says "I'll do this and this update", "I'll do this and this research", you don't wait for them to actually find the tiles and perform the action, you move on to the next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends. Newer groups need ~60 minutes per player but our group actually do it like ~25 minutes per player which is above par. And interestingly we discovered that about 10% of the chance, 30% in a head up, that all players in our group would agree to concede defeat and choose a winner before turn 9 because one is too obviously winning and unstoppable even ganked. It doesn't worth the time to drag the game and try out the pathetic probabilities when one will be winning 90% in those situations. But then of course, it mostly happens in smaller games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
An important thing is not waiting for people to implement their actions. Once somebody says "I'll do this and this update", "I'll do this and this research", you don't wait for them to actually find the tiles and perform the action, you move on to the next player.

Yeah, this is important if you want to keep the playing time down. 80% of the actions taken have no immediate bearing on what you want to do, so you don't need to watch every little thing someone does.

We also use the Turn Order Variant, which some thought would slow us down but, in reality, since you are often playing after someone who is NOT right next to you, their actions have an even smaller impact on your choices.

It also helps to have the most experienced player keep the ball rolling, calling out when the next person in line should go. Using the number cards from the variant, I know when player 3 has made his decision and call player 4 to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
The real playing time is 45-50 minutes (per player) for most people playing the IRL game. If you want a 3 hour or less playing time, I'd suggest 3p or 4p games. With experienced players you can squeeze in a 4p game in 3 hours, as long as people aren't goofing around. 5p is messed up anyway due to board positioning, and 6p would take too long for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
lofung_hk wrote:
It really depends. Newer groups need ~60 minutes per player but our group actually do it like ~25 minutes per player which is above par. And interestingly we discovered that about 10% of the chance, 30% in a head up, that all players in our group would agree to concede defeat and choose a winner before turn 9 because one is too obviously winning and unstoppable even ganked. It doesn't worth the time to drag the game and try out the pathetic probabilities when one will be winning 90% in those situations. But then of course, it mostly happens in smaller games.

Really? In my games so far (4 and 5 players) anytime someone is clearly ahead, everyone joins forces and goes against that player. No matter how big of an army you have, you cant fight on 4 different places at once and expect a win .

Just add better engines and neutron bombs and wreak havoc in the middle of his empire with interceptors. He will either retreat to defend, or press onward on one player, while the rest destroy his empire. Either way, he wont be a clear winer.

That traitor card moves so much, in one game we all got to have it 2 times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
The real playing time is 45-50 minutes (per player) for most people playing the IRL game. If you want a 3 hour or less playing time, I'd suggest 3p or 4p games. With experienced players you can squeeze in a 4p game in 3 hours, as long as people aren't goofing around. 5p is messed up anyway due to board positioning, and 6p would take too long for your group.

Emphasis Bold - I disagree. 4 Experienced players should definitely be hitting 2 hours for game time (plus some setup/teardown). There is no reason to dilly dally on your turn, you can see everything coming for you.

From the first time I played the game we've rarely broken 40 minutes per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.