Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Moved, But Not Deterred At Day One Of Auckland’s Board Games Event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The first day of Auckland’s board gaming event, Board Games by the Bay, didn’t quite go as smoothly as anticipated — but it was still a day of gaming, conversation and good times.

A booking mix-up meant our venue was double-booked… and we were out on the streets. Salvation was just 100 meters away: a church hall we hastily co-opted! We’ll be back in our original venue tomorrow.

Over 75 people came by to enjoy good company and a fun, friendly gaming environment. It’s a welcoming way to introduce friends and family members to modern board games; or to see if it’s something you’d like to try.

Event organiser David Taylor said, “There were lots of prizes given away from Pixelpark, Dr Wood, Treefrog Games, SchilMil Games, and others. Lots more prizes to give away tomorrow.”

In addition to those sponsors, thanks to St Heliers Presbyterian Church for accommodating us at such short notice, and thanks to all attendees for their patience and flexibility.







We’ll be back gaming today, Sunday 22 July, from 9am to 6pm at Tamaki Ex-Services Association Hall, cnr Turua Street and Polygon Road, St Heliers, Auckland.

All welcome, $10 at the door.

Board Games by the Bay is New Zealand’s fastest-growing group of gaming meet-ups. There are upcoming board game events in Tauranga and Hamilton. More information about Board Games by the Bay is available here.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good of David Taylor to provide a quote for you
6 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
Good of David Taylor to provide a quote for you


Haha...written by our code monkey overnight and I lacked time to modify the BGG version before day two!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting on a great weekend David; I had a great time playing a bunch of my favourite games (and the odd new one too).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
Thanks for putting on a great weekend David; I had a great time playing a bunch of my favourite games (and the odd new one too).


Great! That's what it's all about!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Salvation" LOL
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done on being so adapatbale and making a great day of it. What a great crew to adjust so quickly and so well. Congrads on hitting year two, and on such an excellent event. I can't wait to hear the reports and see the photos.

Now can you calim for damages, loss of revenue, personal distress ......

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great weekend thanks Dave (and Angie). Was good to meet you both, admirable effort on Saturday with the double booking and keeping it going so smoothly. I bet you were exhausted by the time you made it back to Papamoa.

My only regret was I didn't actually get to put enough faces to BGG users names. I'll make more of an effort at Tauranga. Perhaps name stickers next time?

Anyway, roll on Tauranga BGBTB!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
Well done on being so adapatbale and making a great day of it. What a great crew to adjust so quickly and so well. Congrads on hitting year two, and on such an excellent event. I can't wait to hear the reports and see the photos.

Now can you calim for damages, loss of revenue, personal distress ......



Any chance you'll make it up for Tauranga or Hamilton events?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
Perhaps name stickers next time?


Second this.

Perhaps just stickers and markers provided for those that want...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
My only regret was I didn't actually get to put enough faces to BGG users names. I'll make more of an effort at Tauranga. Perhaps name stickers next time?


I think that's a good idea too, and adding people's BGG avatar (if applicable) would make it even easier.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
Perhaps name stickers next time?


Amen to that. Already put that in the suggestion box. Bgg ids (and avatars) be awesome, but probably quite a lot of work?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a brilliant weekend, it was a great introduction to the board game scene in Auckland. I got to play a couple of my favourite games (Cosmic Encounter, and taught my sister how to play Dominion) and heaps of new ones, plus I got to meet lots of fun and friendly gamers. Thanks to all involved for organising.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
SuperSize wrote:
Perhaps name stickers next time?


Amen to that. Already put that in the suggestion box. Bgg ids (and avatars) be awesome, but probably quite a lot of work?


I put that in the suggestion box too.

Perhaps it doesn't need to be David that does the badge preparation, maybe someone knows an easy way to implement this idea.

Which makes me think that if some people do put in some hard work in the background a couple of the donated games have a special prize draw for those who 'manned the desk for x amount of time', created badges etc
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperSize wrote:
Perhaps name stickers next time?


Generic name tags were something we had planned and we even brought them along, but with us starting so much on the back foot (and behind time) on the Saturday, we simply ran out of time to organise them.

Future events will have generic name tags so you don't have to keep asking people their names a hundred times - like I always seem to!

We wouldn't be pro the idea of BGG-specific name tags. We feel that goes against the vision of BGBTB in that it creates a small and subconscious division between us BGG Elites and the Great Unwashed who are trying out modern board games for the first time.

BGBTB is about creating and maintaining an environment that is as welcoming to the unconverted as possible. Suffice to say, some members having something specific to BGG on their name tag wouldn't assist in that goal, but rather hinder it, however slightly.

A first name (or first/last name) name tag should be sufficient, and if you particularly want to meet certain BGGers, just make a note of their real names rather than their usernames or avatars before coming along.

I went to a board gaming event once where a friend convinced a non-gamer to come along. I heard later that she popped by and was met by a gamer outside (not the organiser) who promptly told her that she could only come in if she was going to be playing all day and if she was really committed to board gaming. Not surprisingly, she turned around and never entered the venue.

Fortunately, she hasn't been lost to the hobby, but it's that sort of barrier that we want to somehow help to break down, and generic "Hello My Name Is" style name tags will go a long way towards that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stokes
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Name tags would also help with my accent. Apparently Kiwis and Brits say 'Dan' differently enough to be problematic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Honeyfield
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

A first name (or first/last name) name tag should be sufficient, and if you particularly want to meet certain BGGers, just make a note of their real names


Yes - precisely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we need a different convention for the board game elite to meet in person. Could even have playtesters and game designers helping each other with their games. Like a NZ version of the States Alan Moon's Gathering of Friends Convention. I am always keen for more gaming events.


Big thanks to David and Angela. Had a great weekend at BGBTB. Can't wait for the next one!

Be nice to be able to stay and game past 6pm like at the Tauranga event though. arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
We wouldn't be pro the idea of BGG-specific name tags. We feel that goes against the vision of BGBTB in that it creates a small and subconscious division between us BGG Elites and the Great Unwashed who are trying out modern board games for the first time.

BGBTB is about creating and maintaining an environment that is as welcoming to the unconverted as possible. Suffice to say, some members having something specific to BGG on their name tag wouldn't assist in that goal, but rather hinder it, however slightly.


I see where you're coming from, but tend to disagree. I think the inclusion of BGG info on the name tag can be a good thing. Wellycon didn't have avatars this year, (can't remember last year...) but they did in 2010 (my first Wellycon). (I'd be interested to know if that was a conscious decision to stop doing so similar to yours above or if it was just too much work to make avatar badges. Or if they just forgot ). For non-BGGers, they put a generic image in place of the avatar (Bart Simpson for boys and Lisa Simpson for girls). You could use the BGBTB or SB logos. And if someone asks me why my badge is different, they can learn about the great resource and community that is BGG - and that can only help drawing them further into the hobby IMO.

seriouslyboard wrote:

A first name (or first/last name) name tag should be sufficient, and if you particularly want to meet certain BGGers, just make a note of their real names rather than their usernames or avatars before coming along.


Avatars are instantly recognizable, and a lot of people don't use their real names on BGG anyway. (Yes, I know you're all going to scroll up and find that everyone who has posted on this thread is using their real name. My point still stands ) "Are you the John who masquerades as _______ ? No? Neither were the other 3 Johns I have asked so far." Much easier just spotting a badge.


Even if you go for names only, I would vote for something more than just 'first name written in vivid on a hello-my-name-is sticker'. Those things are useless and fall off all the time. A printed name badge in one of those clear pin-on holder-things (yes that is what they are called) with some SB and/or BGBTB logos would look much classier. I know that is a cost, but I think the more polished look would be worth it. Door sales could still get a badge with the logo on it, just make sure someone with nice writing is in charge of the vivid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Always Red wrote:
Perhaps we need a different convention for the board game elite to meet in person.


It would have to be in a secret room with super-secret handshakes..... ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about if we do have avatars on badges it means that we have agreed to be advertised (ie mentioned) that there will be experienced boardgamers willing to help you out if you get stuck learning a game. So rather than an 'elitist mechanism' it is now a 'catch-up mechanism' to ensure no one gets left behind meeple

Or if that still isn't of interest we could get our avatar picture on a round pin-badge that is useable for any gaming event (and won't be blatently obvious). I've been half thinking of doing something like this for a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
We wouldn't be pro the idea of BGG-specific name tags. We feel that goes against the vision of BGBTB in that it creates a small and subconscious division between us BGG Elites and the Great Unwashed who are trying out modern board games for the first time.

BGBTB is about creating and maintaining an environment that is as welcoming to the unconverted as possible. Suffice to say, some members having something specific to BGG on their name tag wouldn't assist in that goal, but rather hinder it, however slightly.


I see where you're coming from, but tend to disagree. I think the inclusion of BGG info on the name tag can be a good thing. Wellycon didn't have avatars this year, (can't remember last year...) but they did in 2010 (my first Wellycon). (I'd be interested to know if that was a conscious decision to stop doing so similar to yours above or if it was just too much work to make avatar badges. Or if they just forgot ). For non-BGGers, they put a generic image in place of the avatar (Bart Simpson for boys and Lisa Simpson for girls). You could use the BGBTB or SB logos. And if someone asks me why my badge is different, they can learn about the great resource and community that is BGG - and that can only help drawing them further into the hobby IMO.


This seems like a strong middle ground, and I admit that I didn't realise Wellycon had generic images for non-BGGers. I personally didn't take too much notice of it and assumed (wrongly) that it was avatar or no avatar.

With this in mind, it's definitely worth some further thought.

superbgg wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

A first name (or first/last name) name tag should be sufficient, and if you particularly want to meet certain BGGers, just make a note of their real names rather than their usernames or avatars before coming along.


Avatars are instantly recognizable, and a lot of people don't use their real names on BGG anyway. (Yes, I know you're all going to scroll up and find that everyone who has posted on this thread is using their real name. My point still stands ) "Are you the John who masquerades as _______ ? No? Neither were the other 3 Johns I have asked so far." Much easier just spotting a badge.


Even if you go for names only, I would vote for something more than just 'first name written in vivid on a hello-my-name-is sticker'. Those things are useless and fall off all the time. A printed name badge in one of those clear pin-on holder-things (yes that is what they are called) with some SB and/or BGBTB logos would look much classier. I know that is a cost, but I think the more polished look would be worth it. Door sales could still get a badge with the logo on it, just make sure someone with nice writing is in charge of the vivid.


This is what we'd like to go for. I agree that it looks much classier and is less hassle to keep attached. Ultimately, it'll come down to a balance of work involved versus additional cost versus payoff, but with a bigger support staff, it should be fairly easy to implement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:


Or if that still isn't of interest we could get our avatar picture on a round pin-badge that is useable for any gaming event (and won't be blatently obvious). I've been half thinking of doing something like this for a while.


Oooh that's a cool idea too. I've been thinking I'd like to have my avatar with me in some subtle way at Essen...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
I'd be interested to know if that was a conscious decision to stop doing so similar to yours above or if it was just too much work to make avatar badges. Or if they just forgot


We dropped this because of the work factor. Although at this years con we had individually printed badges (thanks Peter), getting a screenshot of the avatar and then pasting it into the badge was a big time drag and required a specific posting. Its possible though.

I do relate to the elitist nature of things, and the genreic avatar was an attempt to combat this. But by the same token it creates some identity and allows a community to connect. I think we share a common ethos of inclusiveness across the cons and desire to make new people feel as comfortable as possible. Its a tough one. Ultimately though I think the work required probably puts this out of reach for administrators.

I really like the loyalty marker though, like the supporter badges on your BGG avatar. Some sort of mark to note your experience and previous attendance. That is something we will continue to work with.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Schiller
New Zealand
Auckland
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea re: the plastic name badge holders so that they get reused:

At the end of the day/event/upon leaving, ask people to put them in a recycle bin and then use that bin to draw one raffle winner.

Good for the environment and saves the organizers having to shell out over and over again for the more expensive but much higher-quality option.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.