Hide
2 Posts

Sky Traders» Forums » Variants

Subject: A new investment die placement rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Urevich
msg tools
Hi! I have played a game of Sky Traders with 3 others and ran into a frustrating problem. Just before the end of the game I had lots of jewels that I had bought at 10 each. When it was time to invest 4 of the dice rolled 6, which meant that jewels could not change. It didn't matter if I bought them or not.
That is why I want to try a new rule for dice placement that should be able to help this problem (and allow more negotiation of the higher dice).
1. Up to 4 dice can be placed on each side of the Investment chart, but dice placed above the limit are put to the side of the positive/negative area.
2. When moving the legal goods cost marker, only count the dice in the positive/negative areas to determine results.
3. When moving Sludge and Grog markers, only count positive/negative areas to determine results.
This allows a player to trade or possess multiple dice of a high # good, and use them to affect the goods price. But the limit keeps high level goods from moving too fast, or overwhelming the market.
Here are 2 examples of how this works.
Example 1: A player has a hold full of jewels, and during the invest phase the player rolls 2 "6" results, and 2 other players roll 1 each.
If the player doesn't trade, the price might not change. But if he trades for 1 or 2 of the dice the price may increased by up to 2, by putting up to 2 more outside the positive side.
Example 2: Same situation as the previous one, but this time 6 dice have this result. This time nothing can move the results because only 4 dice can be played on the positive side, so 2 will still be on the negative side which cancels the 2 positive dice which count.
So you see that lockouts can still happen when high # of dice match, but it increases the chance of useful results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This happened in our game also.

How about this - a market that is moved by both manipulation and supply/demand. Here is how it works. When someone buys a product the price immediately moves up one space until it reaches maximum. When someone sells a product it immediately moves down one space to the minimum. During the Guild phase, everyone gets one die to use. That one die is the limit of manipulation. When a player reaches the brown on the influence track he gets 2 dice. When he hits yellow he gets all three dice.

Or

Always make sure there is not the same number of maximum dice on both the negative and positive side. At the start roll one die. 1-3 means add 1 to the maximum dice on the negative side. 4-6 means add 1 to maximum dice on the positive side. This ensures there will never be a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.