Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night my group played our first session of Descent Second Edition.

We played a 4 player game with me as the overlord.
Our heroes were:
Widow Tarha - a Runemaster
Avric Albright - a Disiple
Jain Fairwood - a Wildlander

First Blood:
Our intro scenario started with the heroes learning the rules. I was able to get 2 goblins out of the exit early with a Dash card, but that was about it. The heroes moved to the pool to use that movement restriction to their advantage so Mauler could not block off line of sight to the running goblins. Jain and Tarha were able to plink off every goblin after the first two escaped with their ranged attacks, while Avric kept kept Mauler occupied. Avric got knocked out once as did Jain, but they still managed to defeat Mauler. The only moral victory the Overlord had was that the heroes got no treasure through searching to shop with between quests.

The heroes looked at quest name choices and decided they would go on to Death on the Wing.

Spending XP and Travel Phase
Tarha purchased Exploding Rune, the Overlord failed to pay attention to this much to his detriment as will be seen soon.
Jain purchased Eagle Eyes so she could shoot through her friends with impunity.
Avric decided to save his Experience Points.
The overlord purchased a Dark Fortitude Card.

The heroes first stop allowed them to choose and discard one of the Overlords cards.
The second stop was uneventful.
The third stop required the heores to all pass a might test. They all had horrible might scores, all three failed, and each suffered 1 fatigue and 1 wound.

Death on the Wing (Warning, Quest Spoilers)

Encounter 1
This encounter required the heroes to run a gauntlet to escape before the overlord could trap any single hero in the canyon area at the end of their turn. The overlord had 1 master and 3 minion spiders in the canyon, and 1 master and 2 minion Flesh Moulders in the camp area. At the end of each turn, the overlord is allowed to drop boulders in the canyon to work on boxin gthe heores in. They can remove them with might checks, but my little band of heroes had no warrior archetype, and their might was pathetic.
However, my set-up as a new Overlord and my failure to pay attention to the new abilities of the heores (Exploding Rune) made for a very poor showing in this encounter.
I had placed 4 spiders clogging up the entrance to the canyon, and in the room I had a cluster of Flesh Moulders. Let me give you some advice... don't clump your minions all together when one of your heroes can do a Blast.
On the first hero turn, Widow Tarha advanced to the end of the corridor, verified Line of Sight to both the Spider cluster and the Flesh Moulder cluster. She used her Heroic Feat that allowed her to perform an attack and target two different monsters in her line of sight. She then used exploding rune to give the attack blast. She rolled well, I rolled poorly and after the smoke cleared there were 3 dead spiders, 2 dead flesh moulders, and only 1 of each of the 2 master monsters remained and each had only 2 health. After that the heroes grabbed one of the treasures and started making their run for the exit. I was only able to slow them for two more turns before they were long gone.
(As pointed out by the user in a post below, this shoudl not have worked. You can use either the feat or the exploding rune only as both require an action. This is an error on our part due to learning the game.)

Encounter 2
The second encounter required the Overlord to kill 4 guards in some barracks while the heores had to defeat the Lieutenant.
I chose Barghests (2 minion, 1 master) for my open group, and they seemed to do a good job overall. The overlord also had his Lieutenant and a big master elemental at his disposal.
I tried to use the elemental to hold the heores at bay, but before I even got to my first turn, my elemental was dead and my lieutenant was wounded. I sent my lieutenant and the barghests after the guards. The guards were not pushovers at all, and I will post a bit of my opinion about these guards at the end of the session report.
I was able to kill 1 guard and wound another, but within another turn my lieutenant was severely wounded and I had respawned another elemental. By the end of the next two turns, the heroes had searched to find a potion of healing which they used to undo much of my work or Tarha, I had managed to kill both guards on one side of the map but I was down to 4 health. My elemetal had been killed again, but I chose to respawn him at the end of my turn. I had 2 Barghests outside the room across the map with the other 2 guards.
At this point I had all but conceeded defeat, it was not looking good for the home team, but, instead of finishing me off with all of their power on their turn, they had decided to go after the other search tokens to fill their coffers assuming that they would easily finish me off with their 4 ranged attacks against my 3 health remaining and even if they did not, I had only 2 Barghests near the remaining guards who were at full health. (I had the same assumption), the heroes even managed to find a treasure chest and randomly drew a sling from the shop deck for their future).
But, my lieutenant managed to survive the turn with 1 health left. I also had nice draws the previous two turns from my OL deck. I managed to use a Dash, some intricacies of large monster movement, and an extra attack card to get my elemental from the entrance to adjacent to the two guards. He used his fire attack and severely wounded both guards and my two barghests were able to run in and finish both guards off to give me the win.

In the end, I managed to win the quest with a lot of luck, and a little bit of overconfidence on the part of the intrepid band of heroes.

Commentary on Quest Balance
My only issue with Death on the Wing was what I feel is a balance issue with encounter 2.
Regardless of the number of heroes, there are 4 guards. The guards have 4 move, 6 health, roll a red and blue die for attack, and 1 grey die for defense. They are not pushovers at all. For the OL to win, all 4 have to be killed before his Lt dies. I think this quest was balanced for a full group of 4 heroes when it was designed.
If this was played with 4 heroes, I would have had 2 elementals, another Barghest, and a stronger Lt to deal with just 1 additional hero. I could still have used my weaker elemental to keep the heores busy, started my master elemental closer to the guards, and had one more barghest to kelp me kill these same guards. That is a much bigger advantage for the OL.
If I had been up against 2 heroes, I would have had only a single minion elemental and 1 minion barghest and 1 master barghest and less health for my Lt.

Having half the number of minions to kill the same number of objectives at the same power just seems to be way out of balance to me.

Final Thoughts
in the end, win or lose, all 4 of us had a good time. The game played quickly for 3 people learning it from scratch. I think we all learned a lot, and honestly, I am jealous of the other guys who get to be the heroes. They all said they are looking forward to playing the rest of the campaign, so I suppose that makes this game a winner for is.

I will buy an extra set of dice when they become available to keep from having to constantly having to reach back and forth for the single black die. I also look forward to the conversion kit to add more variety to the monsters I have to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajMalfunction10 wrote:

Final Thoughts
in the end, win or lose, all 4 of us had a good time. The game played quickly for 3 people learning it from scratch. I think we all learned a lot, and honestly, I am jealous of the other guys who get to be the heroes. They all said they are looking forward to playing the rest of the campaign, so I suppose that makes this game a winner for is.

I will buy an extra set of dice when they become available to keep from having to constantly having to reach back and forth for the single black die. I also look forward to the conversion kit to add more variety to the monsters I have to choose.

Glob yes, an extra set or two of dice is absolutely needed with this game. As for the Overlord, I'm starting to agree. While he gets to upgrade some of his cards, it feels so mediocre compared to how the heroes upgrade. It's too bad there weren't other upgrades he could have gotten, like why make the monsters suddenly go to Act II, and instead make that a gradual upgrade. Or maybe have certain extra abilities available as a permanent upgrade (similar to 1st Ed's AC upgrades).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I hate descent

Hey hatorade, why don't you make like a tree and !@#% off!devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished Death on the Wing, as OL winning encounter 1, I was completed demolished! I get first turn, move lieutenant to attack two guards, not realizing just how strong they are, goblin archers taking the other two, killing one. Elemental does some fire damage, then turns to air, thinking of avoiding damage. Heroes run in and take lieutenant down in first turn!!! I completely played that quest the wrong way!

I like how the OL is upgrading, I have 2 level 1 saboteur cards, 3 xp for the next session, and I'm trying to formulate a plan of attack... lots of options. Soon my deck will be very powerful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's hope for a 2ed "AoD expansion" for the OL, or at least new class decks for the OL when new hero classes are released. There's so much cool stuff that could be added without adding much complexity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I missing something or Widow Tarha's heroic feat and runemaster skill Explosive rune are cannot be played together, because both are used as an action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
soddy wrote:
Am I missing something or Widow Tarha's heroic feat and runemaster skill Explosive rune are cannot be played together, because both are used as an action?

No, you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Draffut wrote:
soddy wrote:

No, you are correct.

Good catch. Tricksy heores cheated me!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.