Subject: New Gaia Engineers misprint rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The faction board icon reference on the back of the manual is wrong for New Gaia Engineers.

On there, it says "... On a 1, 2, or 3, send the ship to the stocks as usual. On a 4, 5, or 6, send the ship to the Maintenance Bay."

The only problem is that the NGE tile itself switches the number sets, as does the longer description of NGE in the manual

So, just trust the tile. (Of course, it really doesn't make a difference as long as the die you roll has a 50% chance of surviving and everyone is clear on what a success is.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
The faction board icon reference on the back of the manual is wrong for New Gaia Engineers.

On there, it says "... On a 1, 2, or 3, send the ship to the stocks as usual. On a 4, 5, or 6, send the ship to the Maintenance Bay."

The only problem is that the NGE tile itself switches the number sets, as does the longer description of NGE in the manual

So, just trust the tile. (Of course, it really doesn't make a difference as long as the die you roll has a 50% chance of surviving and everyone is clear on what a success is.)
Sorry for the typo. Looks like we're gonna need an errata sheet. Yes, do what the tile says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what the tile says makes more sense because otherwise you would have a hard time being able to tell if a 6 was rerolled or not (because a 6 that hadn't been rerolled would go to the stocks and a 6 that had been rerolled to a 6 would go to the Maintenance Bay). In the case of a 4, 5, 6 being sent to the stocks as usual, it clears up that confusion.

(edit: though I realize that the quick reference says you roll at the start of your next turn, so it would eliminate the confusion - still, I prefer the way the faction description in the middle of the rulebook says to do it - reroll immediately, and a 1, 2, 3 will be saved. Seems much cleaner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not going to go into detail. However, New Gaia Engineers had some last minute changes in order for the faction to perform better.

David decided to have "saving the ship" on a 1-2-3 rather than 4-5-6 as it was through most of development. This choice was BRILLIANT! But I think since it was done so late in the game it caused confusion.

In the "Australis Sector", we call what David did the Terraforming Axiom. When a ship leaves the Terraforming Station, check its value. If it is a 1-2-3, then it goes to the Maintenance Bay, if it is a 4-5-6, it goes to the stocks as usual. As a Vorlon said, David "Has opened an unexpected door." and make the game richer with this rule.

I never heard back whether this was going to be official or not, but we play like this and it has added more variety and options when combined with Alien Tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spittledung wrote:
As a Vorlon said, David "Has opened an unexpected door." and make the game richer with this rule.

Bonus points for a B5 reference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.