Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
franklin johnson
United States
santa cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A suggestion: get the old 'TimeScape' expansion from 1st Ed. Talsiman(1ET).

Promise everybody you will never use it, except in one case: if a player ever should fall into the Horrible Black Void(HBV). Then, he will be tossed into the Timescape, and left to find his way out.

I remember this as a homebrew variation for the original 'Alternate Endings' pak for 1ET, from whence came HBV originaly. Feeling they at least had an outside chance instead of suffering instant death made HBV more palatable for some players. Even if they hated TimeScape!

It will only happen once in a game, after all, if that. Besides, the rare case where a character given up for dead bursts back in to the game with a bizzare array of futuristic powers and cyberpunk weapons is just -- awesome.

For extra effect in this event, have Jerry Garcia cued up on the stereo to fill the room with the sounds of "Truckin'":

Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

Truckin, Im a goin home. whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin on.

Hey now get back truckin home...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the good ol' times, when we played Talisman once a week, the Horrible Black Void was always greeted by a lot of schadenfreude - unless you were the poor guy who drew it.

I miss that in the 4th Edition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the Blood Moon expansion and you'll have the HBV back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeiram wrote:

Really? My FLGS just ordered that expansion for me! Great news, thanks! I guess it's time to bring Talisman back on the table then meeple

Edit: Now, about that Timescape ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Back in the good ol' times, when we played Talisman once a week, the Horrible Black Void was always greeted by a lot of schadenfreude - unless you were the poor guy who drew it.

I miss that in the 4th Edition!

You know what else I miss? Toadings. With the addition of fate tokens they never happen anymore. I have a constitutional aversion to house rules, but something's got to give here.

Yes, preach on brothers cool ! Pre-Fate, if the average wasn't one Toad per game, it was pretty dam(n) close, hell, I'd take one Toad in two games at this point, seeing as how in 139 plays of R4th there have been 31 Toadings soblue . Hell, Reaper kills come in at 27 in the same amount. Having so many more Spells probably has something to do with it, even with Toadifys in the mix, base game deck with 2x Random you got to see them more often, but even if you see one, Fate can totally screw up Toad-plans.

Since we've been using random endings (six cards, so shuffle and roll a die, as the backs don't match), HBV has only come up once in the nine games. I for one am wanting to see the list of HBV victims grow, ideally not at my character's expense, but oh well whistle ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are unfortunately less toadings in the new edition, but I remember that the most shameful toading took place in a game of the Revised 4th Edition. I own the English version and some of my friends always come up with questions concerning the vocabulary or grammar used on the cards. Now, during one game, a friend sitting nearby the table showed me the Misfortune spell and asked me what it is good for and how to use it. I explained him the spell and the game went on. Next turn, my Sage landed on his Leprachaun... I don't know what was going on in my head but i did cast "toadify" on him... Well, you all know what happened and I still remember the pain I felt in the moment realising what I just did...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Epple
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Zeiram wrote:

Really? My FLGS just ordered that expansion for me! Great news, thanks! I guess it's time to bring Talisman back on the table then meeple

Edit: Now, about that Timescape ...

If you go to Talisman Island, you´ll find a wonderful Timescape Expansion for the 4th Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the Files section for the Toad King roaming baddie.

It's classic Talisman, full of typos and bizarre limitations, and it'll increase your number of toadings to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.