Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to continue if one player quits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Barry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any specific rule or consensus on how to deal with a situation where one player leaves unexpectedly? I'm thinking of something like the "resign" rule in Through the Ages.

We had a situation last night where one player misjudged the odds in an assault the GCDS, then bowed out when all his ships were destroyed. (He figured he had no chance of winning anymore). However, I can also imagine situations where players may be called out due to an emergency, or have a hard deadline and have to leave when the game goes on longer than expected (especially when playing their first few games).

I'd imagine the best solution might be to completely remove all tiles from play (not available to draw via exploration) where that player had previously had influence disks, as if the player had never existed, and then change the technology draws to that for one player less. (This would avoid leaving a lot of good stuff freely available to any neighbour in a position to expand that far). However, I'd rather not encourage this as an exit strategy for anyone on the brink of losing their home system etc to an invading fleet. So... any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I'd say the best option is "all pass" per Diplomacy. Take no actions, defend as needed. Probably define defense targeting as per Ancient combat.

Reducing the tech draw accordingly is a reasonable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All they really have to do is bankrupt themselves.
Not so hard to do especially in early to midgame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would politely try to explain to the player that the etiquette is to keep on playing even if one cannot win anymore, that one should set oneself a reasonable secondary goal (such as scoring as many points as possible) and not ruin the game for the other players.

In case of an emergency, a rather complicated but maybe more satisfactory approach than the Diplomacy-style one is playing with an AI such as:

Fight only in self-defense as the Ancients do, and fortify as follows:

0) Use colony ships to colonise planets if possible.

1) If race has materials and still ships to build, always choose Build action to build as many ships as it can, starting with starbases, then dreadnoughts, then cruisers, then interceptors. Build in all hexes in such a way that the number of build points is the same in all hexes. If perfect symmetry impossible, put more build points in the hexes with more population cubes.

2) If building not possible, use move to distribute forces more evenly if needed.

3) If (1, 2) not possible / needed, upgrade ships. Put upgrades in such a way as to maximise the product:
total stars of damage * (total CP bonus +1) * (total shields bonus+1) * total hull. Then increase initiative. Use more expensive available upgrade if all else equal (for example plasma missiles not AM cannon).

4) If (1-3) not possible / needed, use science to research ship upgrades (buy most expensive available).

5) If (1-4) not possible / needed, research advanced planets (if possible and advanced planets available), then research orbitals, then techs giving additional actions.

This defensive AI can be improved, but you get the picture :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a new player they should have been warned off of the center by a more experienced player. If everyone is new, lessons get learned and he should have run away when his ships starting blowing up. Way too many people fight to the death when they should run. The game isn't about conquering and he could have still won, although a big loss hurts, especially if you haven't built a well defended system. If someone quits and time permits I would probably reset and replay (the game isn't going to be fair anymore for someone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game (out of two ) had one player bow out of a six player game. For some reason he had thought it was going to be a two hour game instead of around four hours. He only had one connection, to the player on his left, so he massed his ships on that hex and left. We then had him skip all his later turns (not factoring him into the turn order).

Things turned out relatively well, though there was some debate about how much this impacted who won the game.

(I did, and I was on the right of the absent player. While there were no connections between us, or even between him and the centre, there's a decent chance he would have gone for the Wormhole Generator.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Collapse rules in the rule book.

Essentially, you score your points for research, discoveries and reputation, then remove all your pieces from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
Use the Collapse rules in the rule book.

Essentially, you score your points for research, discoveries and reputation, then remove all your pieces from the game.

That is what I was going to suggest. The rule book explains what happens if a player is eliminated; just play as if that player was eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.