Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as the necromancer seems to be one of the strongest classes based on preliminary reports, and also due to the fact that the necromancer's skills aren't *quite* to my liking, I was considering the following changes to two of his skill cards:

Raise Dead
When a monster within 3 spaces of you is defeated and you have no Reanimates on the board, use this skill to place a Reanimate in any space that monster occupied. You may remove any of your Reanimates from the board at any time during your turn. [1 fatigue]

Army of Death (3)
When a monster within 3 spaces of you is defeated and you have exactly 1 Reanimate on the board, use this skill to place a second Reanimate in any space that monster occupied. [2 fatigue]

Wadda ya reckon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think both of these changes would make the Necromancer even more powerful. Your version of Raise Dead, while being predicated on a monster dying in order to be used, would allow Necromancers to raise their Reanimate (1) much further away, and (2) without spending an action.

Your version of Army of Death doesn't seem as powerful at first glance, since the base version is pretty insane to begin with, but if you have Vampiric Blood, Undead Might, Dark Pact and/or Fury of the Dead, having two reanimates on the board can be insanely overpowered. A bunch of blue/red/yellow attacks per turn and the ability to soak their 6 health into your own makes you a nigh immortal multistriking hard hitting monster truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
Honestly, I think both of these changes would make the Necromancer even more powerful. Your version of Raise Dead, while being predicated on a monster dying in order to be used, would allow Necromancers to raise their Reanimate (1) much further away, and (2) without spending an action.

Your version of Army of Death doesn't seem as powerful at first glance, since the base version is pretty insane to begin with, but if you have Vampiric Blood, Undead Might, Dark Pact and/or Fury of the Dead, having two reanimates on the board can be insanely overpowered. A bunch of blue/red/yellow attacks per turn and the ability to soak their 6 health into your own makes you a nigh immortal multistriking hard hitting monster truck.

Shit. You may be right.

I don't think your point (1) above is such a huge issue, because although the Reanimate may be raised further away, it may not necessarily be in the correct direction.

To see to point (2) I could add "you are stunned" to the effect text...

I don't think Undead Might is too much of a problem. Vampiric Blood is pretty strong, though whether it would be *too* strong with a second Reanimate is debatable (it would certainly be weaker used with a second Reanimate as opposed to Army of Death in its original form, I think). Dark Pact seems ridiculously powerful anyway, so maybe I can change that one too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Raise Dead, I think it not costing an action is a bigger deal than being able to raise the Reanimate far away. Right now, the action cost and fatigue cost are really the only two negative effects of Raise Dead. Since the reanimate is pretty easy to kill, the main way I've seen for the Overlord to manage the necromancer is to kill their reanimate every turn you can, forcing them to lose an action to Raise Dead every turn.

It's entirely possible that your version of Army of the Dead isn't as bad as I think it is, but I'm just wary of the idea of having two Reanimates on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a thought that might be a potential solution to the problem: rather than replacing Army of Death with a second reanimate, how about making it a new familiar, like a bone or flesh golem, or something? This allows it to sidestep the problems of inheriting all of the necromancer's other upgrades, yet still allows the necro to have his "army".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.