Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hey all, I was wondering if when you find a treasure chest by searching does that treasure chest card go back in the search deck? Same with the find nothing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the card is discarded and only returned to the deck in the next quest. This usually won't matter, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panu Halonen
Finland
flag msg tools
so if i do this way:
first shuffle search deck then when last card is drawn i reshuffle deck again do i break game much?

reason for this would be that heroes get that chest and blank in some point and not always thous potions for making them happy. Does that make OL's job to hard in the end or will the game stay balanced ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are enough search tokens in a quest for you to need to reshuffle. I could be wrong, but most quests I have done so far only have up to 4 per encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panu Halonen
Finland
flag msg tools
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
I don't think there are enough search tokens in a quest for you to need to reshuffle. I could be wrong, but most quests I have done so far only have up to 4 per encounter.

I was talking about through out the whole campaign (or at least in one game session)

For instance you got 36 looted treasures in whole campaign. With this way it would mean you get 3 chest and 3 blank in any of campaign with same amount of looted treasures (if not reshuffled between game sessions)

With way that you reshuffle between every quest (2 encounters) you got random chance to get either blank or chest at all or in every quest.

I think my example would take of most of randomness but would it break game to favor other side more then other i don't know. If someone would like to try this and tell did it favor other side more then other i would like it if not i going to go with way i explained

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reshuffling only when you run out, rather than every quest, basically guarantees that you draw every card equally often. If that "breaks" the game, something is seriously wrong--after all, not only is it possible to draw the same cards shuffling every quest, it's presumably the most representative draw.

But reshuffling every quest still seems like a better idea to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be hard to "store" what cards have been discarded from the deck if you play this way.

Although I will say that this may break game balance, at least a little bit, because this is not the most representative draw. During a quest, if some of the cards started in the discard pile, when you shuffle, you aren't shuffling the whole deck - instead, you're shuffling only the cards that are currently discarded. If you're halfway through a quest and have already gotten some items, it means you don't have a full search deck. However, the two cards that are discarded when drawn - treasure chest and nothing - are always shuffled back into the deck. So you'll draw those two more often than other treasure cards.

Nothing is unbalanced against the heroes since it gives them, well, nothing. Treasure chest is unbalanced for the heroes since it gives them a permanent boost instead of just some gold. Whether having both come up more often makes the game as a whole unbalanced, I'm not sure, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the rulebook is pretty clear on this. Look at Step 1 of the Campaign Phase section on page 20.

rulebook page 20 wrote:
Then return all Search cards to the deck (even if the heroes didn’t use their abilities). The heroes are assumed to sell their newly discovered treasures in Arhynn.

The rulebook bolded the text in the quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panu Halonen
Finland
flag msg tools
Sethala wrote:
It would also be hard to "store" what cards have been discarded from the deck if you play this way.

i think i said that if not through out the whole campaign then atleast in single game session

Sethala wrote:
Although I will say that this may break game balance, at least a little bit, because this is not the most representative draw. During a quest, if some of the cards started in the discard pile, when you shuffle, you aren't shuffling the whole deck - instead, you're shuffling only the cards that are currently discarded. If you're halfway through a quest and have already gotten some items, it means you don't have a full search deck. However, the two cards that are discarded when drawn - treasure chest and nothing - are always shuffled back into the deck. So you'll draw those two more often than other treasure cards.

Solution is this that you put cards that have been in use during the quest after quest is done put them to random spot of the deck problem solved every card is drawn same amount of times.

Sethala wrote:
Nothing is unbalanced against the heroes since it gives them, well, nothing. Treasure chest is unbalanced for the heroes since it gives them a permanent boost instead of just some gold. Whether having both come up more often makes the game as a whole unbalanced, I'm not sure, however.

there is 1 card for treasure and 1 card for plank and if i remember correctly 1 for curse of monkey rest are potions if i remember right.Potions often got used for winning the quest so you don't get money from that. If you get equal amount of all you get then only unbalance problem might be that you get to much potions and you don't get much profit from them (either in use or sold)compared to random chance
chest. Don't know if peoples prefer luck that you might get treasure chest every quest or not at all.

As for rulebook part i will try it for start and see if my group like more random search over the not so random search and if this way is still balanced even in long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lupin89 wrote:
Potions often got used for winning the quest so you don't get money from that.
One of the counter-intuitive things about D2E is that empty potion bottles can be sold for the same price as a potion in a bottle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håvard Sommerseth
Norway
Kløfta
Kløfta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
lupin89 wrote:
Potions often got used for winning the quest so you don't get money from that.
One of the counter-intuitive things about D2E is that empty potion bottles can be sold for the same price as a potion in a bottle.

Nah, just picture the "sell price" as money you find together with the potion when you are searching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the healing potion itself is about as rare and expensive as a diet coke nowadays, whereas a glass bottle is always a scarce item in a medeival economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miscalculation wrote:
Maybe the healing potion itself is about as rare and expensive as a diet coke nowadays, whereas a glass bottle is always a scarce item in a medeival economy. ;)

Exactly. Arhynn has an excellent recycling system.

Seriously though, I also agree that it's supposed to be you find gold and an item, not an item that sells for gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
miscalculation wrote:
Maybe the healing potion itself is about as rare and expensive as a diet coke nowadays, whereas a glass bottle is always a scarce item in a medeival economy.

It seems to be that way in The Legend of Zelda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Why can't I keep my potion
A: The PIAAM (Potions Industry Alchemical Association of Menarra) allows you a limited license on the potion, but you never own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.