Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really mean to do this, but once I saw what I had done, I thought it was a nifty, if gamey, method of keeping a Soviet Shock army out of my way.

If I am reading the supply rules [4.6] correctly, that 1st Shock army is still in supply because all northern map edges in the Soviet Union are valid supply sources, even though the front has moved a long way off and the hex "To Archangel" has been taken. It seems a little surprising that supply would make it that far around.

However, as long as it is alone there, that Shock army is harmless: the most he can get on the Soviet Counterattack Table is a column 2, and since German units magically appear whenever I need them, the surrounding troops aren't more useful anywhere else. Most importantly, the Shock army cannot move anywhere else or be eliminated and redeployed where it might be a bigger pain.

A little silly, I know, and hardly a game changer, but an interesting interaction of some of the unusual mechanics that make up this fun, fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as cut off and defending much farther north -- the last defenses of Murmansk or Archangel... it would play the same.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point, and a nice way of thinking about the edge-of-the-world there: the Soviet 1st Shock army, on the lam in Lappland, subsisting off of reindeer, and using captured frozen German sausages as melée weapons. Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But getting the unit into that position must have been a bit tricky, since the rules state that you can not place it there on purpose. The only way is to do it is when advancing after a successful Soviet attack or land grab.

17.2.1] Placing Soviet Reserves: These
units replace a supplied Soviet Line unit
on the map that is adjacent to a non-
Finnish Axis unit,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wingnut69 wrote:
But getting the unit into that position must have been a bit tricky, since the rules state that you can not place it there on purpose. The only way is to do it is when advancing after a successful Soviet attack or land grab.

17.2.1] Placing Soviet Reserves: These
units replace a supplied Soviet Line unit
on the map that is adjacent to a non-
Finnish Axis unit,

That's an excellent point and I did not recall until reading your note that the rule was specific about non-Finnish units. I don't recall exactly how that unit was placed and whether it was also adjacent to German units at the time, but it is possible that I should not have placed it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.