Hide
9 Posts

Samurai Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: More AoT questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco E
msg tools
We did our first game today.. 4th Kawanakajima.. It went well, but of course a couple of questions came up..

1) I've seen the clarification about the "encounter" rule on the other thread... that covers march and assault.. what about other orders like flee.. does a fleeing unit bounce with another unit triying to enter the same hex? Are there any other special rules regadgint this applying to other orders?

2) can you give for example a march order but not move, or move less than the full move ?

3) If a unit is destroyed through the combined efforts of a couple of units, who gets the honor the unit that gave the final blow even all combat is simultaneous ( and this would be chosen by the player ? ) ?

4) can you do range attack against units engaged in melee

5) flee order: what happens if there is no path for me to move the unit towards where it should go? when needing to move towards the commander this could push my unit towards the enemy, even maybe getting engaged, is this correct?

6) cav cannot move into hills with rocky ground, but they can still fight from and adjacent hex against units in that terrain, correct?

7) does 1 always hit ? example , archers fighting against cav that are fatigued , so 1 -1 = 0 combat value

8 ) morale and fatigue, how instant are the effects? for example: unit in combat, takes a casualty, should I take a morale test and maybe the effects will kick in before the next unit that will be attacking in this combat phase takes place or should I assume that all effects happen at the end of the phase given that combat is simultaneous ?
If I gain fatigue from doing assault and this takes me to the area of modifiers, do these already kick in for the upcoming combat phase ?

9) does defence recover from any effects from the shooting phase to the combat phase ( we assumed no ) ?

thanks
Francisco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posing the questions we had, Francisco! I have a session report pending approval for our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unofficial answers:
1. No special rules, you stop.
2. Good one, it would seem like a workaround for a Rest order, let's see what they say.
3. All participating units get an honor token, I think it's pretty clear in the rules.
4. Hell yeah, why not?
5. No pushing units, you just stop and wait.
6, 7. -
8. All fight are simultaneous, so any casualties are definitely checked only once. Not sure about fatigue though.
9. It does not recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco E
msg tools
Many of your answers match our interpretation.. I'll be curious to see what they answer.

I thought of another one

10) It is clear that if you enter an enemies zone of control no matter what order you have you need to stop an engage with him.. correct ? ( thi is even true with flee or assault or whatever )..
Also the rules indicate that if an enemy is engaged at the start of the tunr then he doesn't have a ZOC.. but a unit that moves in such way that you put that enemy in your ZOC you also have to stop and engage that enemy. The example in page 8 seems to indicate that the assault order allows you to ignore this requirement as well, ie. the unit is not affected by the enemy ZOC and since the unit has a target it ignores other targets that get in its ZOC. Correct?
10 b) what about flee ? A unit fleeing that gets in an enemy ZOC is probably stopped and engaged, but what if their is no ZOC like in the example on page 8, I would assume that maybe the fleeing unit does not have to stop an engage the enemy that just entered its ZOC. Or maybe fleein units don't even have a ZOC?

11) expansion of question 2, can I give one of the move orders that involve several hexes such that I for example ask the unit to stay on the first move but move on the second move or so.. to avoid traffic jams.. for example.. the unit is in hex 204, gets a run order and the order indicates, 204, 205 showing that the unit will spend the first move staying in place and then move to 205 ( thus maybe allowing a frienldy unit to move through ) ?

12) I also I assume that it is also valid to plot moves that technically cannot be executed in case the enemy moves away? For example I plot a move that goes through an emey unit cause I think that when we execute the moves that enemy unit might move away ? It would seem to be in line with the order rules, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 11 and 12, I think you can write orders to move into any hex that you could legally move into as if no enemy unit were there or intervening.

I'm not so sure that you can write an order to make a move and then decide during its execution to not move. If circumstances disallow or block a move during the execution of it, then the move would fail anyway. Otherwise, the unit should attempt to complete the order.

Similarly, if you give an order for a unit to move then a new hex location for the unit to go to should be given. I'd say 1-hex assaults for cavalry are legal, provided they still take the fatigue hit and the attempt is made to move into a new hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please send your questions over to office@zvezda.org.ru and provide a link to the forum topic. That's what I did last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco E
msg tools
Great.. thanks for the hint.. your questions were actually pretty useful !

Question 9) not an issue, I found the answer in the rules

Number 11 and 12, that is my interpretation. I don't think you can "cancel" a move.. that is why what I was wondering was if I could define the first move with my current hex to show that I'm staying put on the first move..

anyways.. we'll see..

I'll send the email as recommended...

cheers
Francisco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco E
msg tools
mmm.. the email bounced.. strange..

I wen't to their website to see if I could find any other contact email but that was the only available one..

hopefully they'll stop by BGG

Francisco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A CD
msg tools
You need to erase the dot at the end of the email.
Try this: zvezda.org.ru@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.