Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this game during the preview weekend at my FLGS with a few people from my game group, and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. I was able to play both as a hero and as the overlord, and found myself enjoying the role of the overlord much more.

Now that the game is out, 2 people in my group have picked up the game and we are tentatively starting the campaign this coming Wednesday. Since I enjoyed playing the overlord so much, they have offered to let me play that role. Before that preview weekend, I have never played the role of overlord/GM in anything, and would love to hear suggestions on how to be great at it.

I suppose the main thing I should ask them is if they're looking for a straightforward experience or if they're looking for one that is much more thematic. This will help to decide if I tell them every aspect of the quest or if I hold back some information (such as why they're needing to pick up item X, why they're killing X of something, if I should make search tokens fully visible or if I should only spawn them when the heroes are adjacent).

Beyond that, I know as overlord that my objective is to win. As such, I need to play better than the heroes, though I don't want to make their experience overly harsh or overly boring. I welcome any and all suggestions on how to succeed at this role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well, playing the OL and GMing are very different things. Gming is more about playing along with the adventurers and creating an experience for them that is consistent and extends much farther than just combat. OL is a much more traditionally adversarial role. Your only real goal is stomping on the adventurers and actively trying to kill them off and piss in their cereal. You're not really GMing like describing the rooms and providing interesting characters for the party to interact with. You're just playing the black chess pieces to the party's white. At least, thats how we play. A tactical boardgame. If we want to roleplay there are much better systems out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos R
United States
Lake Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Second the above comment. You are assuming the overlord has more power than he actually has. Play to win. The overlord is only player B in a board game. He is the guy who figures that there is I in team, and that I is he alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. A couple more questions.

Should I be concerned in any way that the 2 guys playing the heroes already have the game, so they can see what the objective/respawns are and how part 1 of the quest ties into part 2?

A couple threads I read discussed withholding information from the heroes such as how quest parts tie into each other and exact locations of search tokens (only spawning them when the hero is adjacent). I suppose this doesn't matter since they'll both have copies of the quest guide.

Is it basically then just me, player A, against them, player B? It just so happens there's only 1 of me and there's 4 of them, and that I need to be the better player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of the quests, the Overlord can choose which monsters are in the quest. IMO, Knowing which monsters and Overlord cards work best in which quests *and* against which players is important. Choosing the right Overlord cards against the players is important as well. Any quest information becomes obvious in the first few minutes of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Martin
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:

Should I be concerned in any way that the 2 guys playing the heroes already have the game, so they can see what the objective/respawns are and how part 1 of the quest ties into part 2?

A couple threads I read discussed withholding information from the heroes such as how quest parts tie into each other and exact locations of search tokens (only spawning them when the hero is adjacent). I suppose this doesn't matter since they'll both have copies of the quest guide.

The Quest Guide actually calls out that all this information is available to all players.
Quote:
Public Information: These quests are all written with the assumption that all players know all the rules and victory conditions - in short, unless noted, none of the information is secret.

Havn't looked through all the quests yet, but so far only secret information I've found is randomly determined at the start of the quest so its different each time anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Win consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Play fast. Don't slow the game down by over analyzing every move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Tennberg wrote:
Thanks. A couple more questions.

Nope. You're playing chess. Everyone gets to see the whole board. This is not a roleplaying game. It's a board game. Everyone gets clear objectives and rules.

Tennberg wrote:

Is it basically then just me, player A, against them, player B? It just so happens there's only 1 of me and there's 4 of them, and that I need to be the better player.

Heroes get one playing piece each. Overlord can have like 10 figures out on the board at once. It's actually a little easier for the one person controlling a whole team--you get to formulate a plan, whereas the players might decide on something as a team, and then deviate from the plan in their individual turns. It's pretty well balanced, I think. First scenario is weighted slightly toward heroes, second slightly toward OL and pretty even after that I think. Well, I still think the OL is a little underpowered but I won't get into that here .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.