Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a web app that will pick new tiles, and distribute mountains and peaks on those tiles, in accordance with the guidelines in the rulebook.

http://asmor.com/scripts/smallworldrealms/

Note that this only picks the tiles; you still need to assemble a map from them. But it saves you from having to do out all the math, at least.

The way it works is by picking tiles until it gets the requisite overall number of regions, and then it picks "surplus" regions (i.e. ones where you've got more than you need of that particular type) at random to have mountains placed on them. There's a 1/3 chance that any particular mountain will be a peak instead.

Also, it's not guaranteed to give perfect results every time. It usually does pretty well, but for example I just generated a 2-player game with 1 forest and 7 farmland. Personally, I like the variance; if you get a really unbalanced one and don't want it, just click the button again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Realms yet, but this was a cool idea
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I wrote a web app that will pick new tiles, and distribute mountains and peaks on those tiles, in accordance with the guidelines in the rulebook.

This is fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed while flipping through the scenario book last night (haven't actually played this yet!) that some mountain tiles also have magic, tunnel, or mine symbols.

This isn't accounted for in my program, and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is. Just pick one at random? Match the symbol already on the region?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I just noticed while flipping through the scenario book last night (haven't actually played this yet!) that some mountain tiles also have magic, tunnel, or mine symbols.

This isn't accounted for in my program, and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is. Just pick one at random? Match the symbol already on the region?

Any thoughts?

The rules on page 4 outline a general guideline for the distribution of the special symbols- they appear with the same frequency as the different terrain types dependent on the number of players. Their guidelines indicate about 1/5 of the terrain should be mountain.

So I would think about 1/5 of the special symbols (cavern/mine/magic source) should be on mountains too. Probably chosen at random which ones, unless there is combination which is unbalancing and would need to be corrected in an "intelligent randomizer".

Small World Realms wrote:
Building your own Realm
If you choose to build your own Realm and Scenario, keep these design guidelines
in mind:
First decide if you want to play in Small World, Small World Underground or a mix
of both.
When building a new Realm, try to use an average of 9 Regions (Regions, not Tiles)
per player. This will ensure your Realm is small enough to be worth fighting for, while
leaving some breathing room for new Races to enter it. Increase or diminish this
average slightly to make your Realm more peaceful or directly confrontational.
Each Terrain type and each Map Symbol should be present in a proportion of about
1/5th the total number of Regions in play. So in a 4 player game, you should strive
for a Realm that features 4x9 = 36 Terrain Regions, and 36/5 = about 7 Regions of
each Terrain type and 7 Map Symbols of each type. In Small World, this would
translate into about 7 Farmlands, 7 Forests, 7 Hills, 7 Marshes and 7 Mountains, along
with approximately 7 Cavern, 7 Mine and 7 Magic Source symbols visible on some
of these Regions.
A few suggestions:
 Start by setting up your Tiles that contain Water Regions, if any - making sure
to decide what rules (Rivers or Seas & Lakes) will apply. If appropriate, set up
borders on your Rivers, using the white River Border markers provided. If you
have Seas, make sure to decide whether new Races will be able to enter the
board through those edges or not.
 Now swap some of these Tiles with other Tiles containing Water Regions to
adjust the proportion of each other Terrain type in your Realm’s Regions, while
preserving the contour of your waterways. At this time, think of where you’d like
to place Mountains and/or Chasms (the later impact all Races, unlike other
Terrain Types).
 Use Lost Tribes tokens (Monsters, in Small World Underground) to split vast tracts
of otherwise empty Regions, so that the first players entering this Realm are not
too advantaged.
 If you own Small World Underground, you can spice up your game by sprinkling
the Realms with a few well chosen Places or Relics: Having a total of one more
than there are players in your game is a good rule of thumb. Adjust this number
up or down depending on the level of knowledge of your players and amount
of time on hand. Feel free to use these in Small World Realms too, not just those
that are underground.
 Try to think of a theme first, this often proves a useful source of inspiration
 Resist introducing too many new rules in a same scenario - they rarely make the
game more fun, only harder to play!
Now go play, explore and conquer some Realms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, think I misunderstood.. Hadn't really looked at your randomizer yet until just now to understand the request.

Since the terrains are tied together in groups of 3 and the special symbols are preprinted on the tile I see how this could be difficult. Too bad the special symbols weren't in a little cutout token you could drop into any region, but that would have been too fiddly I guess.

Probably the easiest way is to just use the underlying symbol, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe you could pick the special symbols first and determine which will be on mountains, forests etc. Then choose the terrain tiles that met those requirements one at a time trying to get as close as possible to the suggested terrain distribution. You'd probably lose a lot of the variety mentioned in the OP this way with the limited set of tiles, but maybe it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Harper
United States
Rochester
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked at the app again and it looks like you have address the problem of the symbols now. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holyguano wrote:
I just looked at the app again and it looks like you have address the problem of the symbols now. Is that right?

I haven't changed it at all. It's always tried to be intelligent about the symbols on the original map tiles (including choosing whether or not to cover up a particular symbol), but it still doesn't do anything about the symbols on mountains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Harper
United States
Rochester
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I haven't changed it at all. It's always tried to be intelligent about the symbols on the original map tiles (including choosing whether or not to cover up a particular symbol), but it still doesn't do anything about the symbols on mountains.

ah ok - still very useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Bernard
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I was playing with this app and really like it. Of note, you forgot chasms (I would make them optional on the non-underworld maps).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uberursine wrote:
I was playing with this app and really like it. Of note, you forgot chasms (I would make them optional on the non-underworld maps).

Thanks!

Not so much forgot as haven't really figured out what to do with them. I'm open to suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Bernard
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
hmmm... the book doesn't say much, if anything, about chasms. I think I'd just count it as another terrain and use 1/6 for each terrain count (Mine, Mudpool, Mushroom Forest, Mystic Crystal, Mountain, and Chasms).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roland mcdohl
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My purchase of this expansion is on the way and the very thing that interest me when buying is the capability to make your own random map.

I saw the app and a little bit clueless on how it will help achieve randomness.

Is it possible to create the map, with the help of your web app, but doing it like on http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121958/sky-traders where there's a starting tile on the table. Then each players draw a tile from the deck and put it whatever they want until it's big enough to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's basically what I intend to do if I can ever get this to the table again (sadly, I don't know many people who like Small World). Shuffle the tiles, put one out, and then take turns taking a tile and adding it to the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian ørsøe
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
what is the difference between peaks and mountains?

random placements of lost tribes/monsters could be cool too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
naitsirk wrote:
what is the difference between peaks and mountains?

random placements of lost tribes/monsters could be cool too

Peaks are twice as high as mountains, and have a base cost of 4 instead of 3 (or 2 for a different kind of terrain).

Placement of tribes and monsters is something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.