Hide
22 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How are people storing this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Harmon
msg tools
Just bought this on the weekend and enjoying it. Me and my GF have been playing a little campaign just the two of us to get a feel for it.

My only major criticism is how 'fiddly' the game is and how much downtime is required every time the encounter or quest changes - which given the short nature of encounters happens quite a lot.

An efficient box inset would have drastically helped this but, as is sadly usual, FFG have provided a very lacklustre inset. In fact, after popping the card components I haven't been able to close the lid!

Does anyone have a smart storage solution for the game that helps speed up setup times? Would love to hear people's thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the cards in deck boxes. I've got two little plano boxes for the bits and smaller minis. The larger minis and map tiles are floating around free in the box. The doors, bases for the doors, deadends, and short connectors are in baggies.

It all barely fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small plano box and lots of baggies. The tiles store in numerical order in two baggies. Set up both encounters at the same time. Also choose your monsters before playing to reduce downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our front table. What, you think were going to put it away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
Purple Paladin wrote:
On our front table. What, you think were going to put it away?

I added all the figures to my old figure tackle box I had for first edition, then just stored everything else in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Harmon
msg tools
Do both encounters use unique tilesets? I hadn't noticed that. That's a great idea, if so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching Tom Vasel's video I can see the small cards are linen-finished. What about the 'normal' size ones?
If they are, then there's no need for me to sleeve them.
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards have a linen finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's inserts are not primarily for organization. Their primary purpose is to protect the content of the box during shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until I come up with something better, just small plastic baggies for the bits, larger one for the minis, tiles just jumbled in.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those using Plano boxes - which model # are you using?

I'm not aware of a store that sells them locally, so if I get one it's coming from Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Plastic baggies. Lots of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:

I'm not aware of a store that sells them locally, so if I get one it's coming from Amazon.

Ouch -- finding a good tackle box on Amazon is a minor nightmare.

If it helps, the tackle box I'm using is a small 3x6 and fits inside the box. Each compartment is about 1" square. You might even go for 3x5. Check craft stores and hardware stores. Michael's has a 50% off sale this week and there's a location near you, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turn the insert inside out, graphic side up: giving you 2 storage areas instead of one. . It's actually a great insert. All the cards in the baggies they came in now fit perfectly standing up in the 2 holes in the insert. I have all Health and stamina tokens in a Baggie. All the rest of the tokens in a single "deck box". Big tiles go on one side with the monsters and character cards and deck box. Everything else goes on the slimmer side. A few of the biggest tiles need to lay flat on top-but everything fits fairly neatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the base game, I recommend this solution. I still have some 3600s and I'm trying to see if they work for this game as well. The compartments do a decent job separating the small size card decks but I'm not yet sure whether the whole thing will go nicely in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
jobin13 wrote:

Ouch -- finding a good tackle box on Amazon is a minor nightmare.

If it helps, the tackle box I'm using is a small 3x6 and fits inside the box. Each compartment is about 1" square. You might even go for 3x5. Check craft stores and hardware stores. Michael's has a 50% off sale this week and there's a location near you, I think.

Nah, I'm going Plano, and Plano has model numbers. Easy-peasy.

But I will check out Michael's - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amberhawk wrote:
Turn the insert inside out, graphic side up: giving you 2 storage areas instead of one. . It's actually a great insert. All the cards in the baggies they came in now fit perfectly standing up in the 2 holes in the insert. I have all Health and stamina tokens in a Baggie. All the rest of the tokens in a single "deck box". Big tiles go on one side with the monsters and character cards and deck box. Everything else goes on the slimmer side. A few of the biggest tiles need to lay flat on top-but everything fits fairly neatly.

I did something similar to this. Rather than turning the insert inside out, I just flipped it over. I put the 2 Dragons and 2 Ettins under the middle bump and everything else fit pretty well in the two sides. The rulebook lays across the middle with the larger tiles on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ditched the insert. Tiles, character sheets, and campaign pad fit very well in a cigar box. Tokens, dice, and all the small minis go in a plastic box with compartments (I can't help you with the brand name or model number - it's the cheap kind from Michael's). Plastic box goes on top of cigar box and cards and big minis fit on the side. Rule books rest on top. Ta-da! It all fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I have the conversion kit, I was able to squeeze in all the CK cards, the 1st Ed heroes (all of them), the 2 Demons and the 2 Dragons (all the other figs are in padded boxes) in the base box. Just fits. I'll probably commendeer one of the 1st Ed boxes for the heroes.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I spent my 1Ed career with a Plano craft box for tokens and small chits, the original big box for monsters, and maybe one of the campaign boxes for campaign stuff. With 2Ed I decided to improve my storage solution:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FDCCD91C28AB4367!253&a...

Got this tackle box from my local Dick's Sporting Goods. I brought a few big minis and a few small ones to the store and kept trying boxes until I found one I liked.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FDCCD91C28AB4367!254&a...

This has everything I need to play 2Ed, including all of the heroes and monsters from all expansions and their conversion kit cards. Pretty sweet setup as I now only have one thing to lug about. Small figures + heroes on the left, tokens on the right, with a little (though not much) room to grow.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FDCCD91C28AB4367!257&a...

Everything that sits inside the big area in the center, plus all of the big guys and the rules and quest book.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FDCCD91C28AB4367!255&a...

Most of the oblong figures ended up in the bottom. Even fairly small ones like Blood Apes and Medusa, just because I'm a bit OCD about the plastic breaking.

This has worked out damn near perfectly for me. I wanna say the tackle ran me $40-ish, so not too bad considering. Now I can finally shelve all of this:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=FDCCD91C28AB4367!262&a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogne Skjærshamn
msg tools
I bought 30 plastic bags, used maybe 25 of them. One bag for each type of token and card. Also used a bag to store all the current campaign items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:

According to your flag, you live in a pretty good sized city. You should have no trouble finding a store that sells them locally. Any decent fishing/hunting/outdoors type store should have a good selection. Failing that, Wal-Mart always has a good variety of Plano boxes in the sporting goods section (with the tackle boxes). Anywhere that carries fishing supplies should have this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.