Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Really stupid issue. I'm sorry.

Is the following correct?
1. One does not choose a starting position. "He then places his Starting Sector hex in one of the six starting spots" is an entirely subordinate sentence to "Place your hex in the starting spot closes to you". Ie, seating determines positions.
2. No methods are given to decide a seating order.

And as a followup, by RAW the starting player is picked by a fixed method - youngest player.
In a regular group, this will never change.
What's youngest player's recourse if he maybe sometimes wants to pick race first too?
If said regular group has a regular seating order too (everyone has their "usual" spots or something), what's youngest player's right-hand person's recourse if they maybe sometimes want to go early/second instead of picking race first?
If seating is not regular, how should one resolve the brawls about who gets to sit left or right of the youngest(depending on if people prefer race choice or early go)?
Apart from those issues, how does one determine starting player where age isn't a polite conversation topic?

Anyone houseruling this to random or other determination of starting player, or any other common setup variants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The youngest" is easily replaced by dice decision. None of game mechanics are really broken because of that change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Thanks for the sanity check.

What about the non-choosable starting locations, did I get that bit right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Thanks for the sanity check.

What about the non-choosable starting locations, did I get that bit right?

i would say do not bother about it. either do it by a dice or choosing it, it is fair to everyone if it is publicly announced before everything.

our group do the race picking order and the seating randomization by dice instead of opening position picking so that one do not have to move things around that a lot - we are just too lazy to move around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Our games group took one look at the turn-order determination.
And house ruled it to:
You play in the sequence you passed on the previous turn.
That scraps the rule about clockwise movement from the first player to pass. And makes seating irrelevant to turn sequence. So part of setup is to chose your home world location. We reshuffle seating after setup.

If you keep clockwise movement from first player.
You also have to keep anti-clockwise seating from first player to choose race. So if playing with clockwise movement I'd advise dice roles to randomise seating position.

A more detailed setup question, that I can find no advise in the rules.
In the 5-player game there is one empty location. How do you determine which 2 players are adjascent to that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
XAos wrote:
And house ruled it to:

My issues were more with inital orders, but yeah, saw that, seems like a common variant that sounds pretty good. For simplicity we'll probably skip that the first games, but from TI3 most of the gang isn't a stranger to the idea, so I guess we'll adopt it eventually. (And find/make some materials to support it.)

Quote:
So part of setup is to chose your home world location. We reshuffle seating after setup.

Yeah, will probably do that too (except the one group in one place with fixed habitual seating). Preliminary order based on however you stand, roll for first player + choose position based on that order, then take seats nearest to where you end up and proceed in new order is how we do TI too.

Quote:
If you keep clockwise movement from first player.
You also have to keep anti-clockwise seating from first player to choose race.

Would probably keep that regardless of what determination of start order/seating or other play order house rules are in play. Seems like an important balance mechanism.

Quote:
In the 5-player game there is one empty location. How do you determine which 2 players are adjascent to that ?

Supposed to not matter that much because WH alignments are supposed to balance out their spare room. So just choose by whatever means one normally would (ie closest to where one happens to sit, by RAW). We'd probably use a Warp Space variant and make it radially symmetrical again, thats also familiar from TI.

Thanks for the comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
XAos wrote:
And house ruled it to:

My issues were more with inital orders, but yeah, saw that, seems like a common variant that sounds pretty good. For simplicity we'll probably skip that the first games, but from TI3 most of the gang isn't a stranger to the idea, so I guess we'll adopt it eventually. (And find/make some materials to support it.)

Download it here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Nice version, thanks. Was thinking hex shaped, but this is pretty compact and fits the look of the game nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Nice version, thanks. Was thinking hex shaped, but this is pretty compact and fits the look of the game nicely.

I made 2 sets of cards numbered 1-6 one set is White and has 2 4 6 8 on the bottom and the second set is Black and has 3 5 7 9. We draw for first player and go clockwise on the 1st turn and then turn order goes in pass order, as they pass I hand out the other set of cards, at the end of the turn I take back the set for the turn we just played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
XAos wrote:

Supposed to not matter that much because WH alignments are supposed to balance out their spare room. So just choose by whatever means one normally would (ie closest to where one happens to sit, by RAW). We'd probably use a Warp Space variant and make it radially symmetrical again, thats also familiar from TI.

Warp space variant should reduce impact of empty space. May need to adjust wh-facing to be symetric with that variant.
5-player the wormhole aliangnments don't balence that extra room. The homeworld directly opposite the blank space has the worst wh-facing of any startup position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.