Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Leahy
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just completed the first map "Exercise Tiger", using the full rules compliment. I think we commanded our troops well overall and they certainly did't let us down. We may be ready.

Our units used a bangalore and grenade combo as we approached the bunker. This allowed us to run up to the bunker, unharmed, in full compliment taking cover on the bunker's exterior walls. One of our sergeants then prepped for breach by a flame thrower and those closest rushed in as others charged to the top of the bluff to secure the surrounding area. The estimate is we had a combined unit strength of around 80 men.

It happened quickly: smoke, explosions, and gun fire all around. As we sat in the sand afterwards, area secured, reflecting on what just happened, a funny story started to be told by the men.

Apparently, in the heat of the moment one of lieutenants, charging the bunker, used his binoculars to strike an enemy machine gunner to the floor. The men all agreed the training must be about as real as it can get if it is producing events like that. Some of the more pessimistic say if we manage to get 80 men up to one of the bunkers in Normandy, that will be a very lucky day.

General impressions:
Overall impression of base game is that it is fun, light, and has great components. Solo and cooperative play is also a huge plus. I like D-Day Dice and appreciate it for what it is, and it does what it does well, but it doesn't have strong hooks in me. Rated against my other games I'm thinking this is in the 6.5 to 6 range. All that said, the love put into this game really shows, and I am very happy to have it in my game collection.

+ great components and value
+ enjoy the theme and general spirit of the game
+ "co-op" as well as solo play
- there is one clear tactic and luck
- various maps provide different difficulties/challenges but play doesn't look/feel that varied
- Will not unseat Zilch/Farkle as "the" dice game for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.