Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I plan on buying a 100% complete used copy of either space crusade or space hulk for my son & myself to play together.
The latest space hulk (2009) will cost approx 3 times that of space crusade.
If space hulk is vastly superior, i don't mind saving further and paying the greater cost.
I am going to put this question on space hulk forum so as to get mixed comments.
Please help me make my mind up!
thank you.
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costantino Jam
Greece
Athens
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello from Greece!
I'm a huge fan of Space Crusade!I started playing it with friends at an age of 13,so as you can imagine i'm very fond of it.
Few years later i stopped playing boardgames(video game era) olny to catch up some years ago by discovering
the Ultimate BoardGameGeek Forum. laugh
I have both boardgames (Space Crusade and Space Hulk (1st + 3rd edition) and also bought all the expansion
(of both games...I know... it's crazy).
I've olny played Space Crusade and Space Hulk 3rd edition, though.

Space Crusade is more "relaxed" more "get to know how to play" themed boardgames
Space Hulk does not forgive mistakes.... you make a mistake during playing... and its GAME OVER , man !!

Space Crusade is a game you can play with more with two players,indeed i recommend to play full house (4 players).

Space Hulk is more a 2 player game... You and the "Enemy"

(I would buy them both again)
Cheers,cool
Costantino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Costantino , as it looks now, im thinking space crusade to start with, then perhaps space hulk.
Spomeone else has suggested space hulk 1st edition to be the better game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
How old's your son? Both games came out when I was about 11 and at that age I much preferred Space Crusade. Space Hulk is probably the more polished and better designed game but to be honest they're both fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi Jim,
Charlie is 10 years old, we have Sam also, but he's only 4, so few years to go before he can enjoy a good boardgame.
i am thinking space crusade 1st (mainly due to cost), then possibly space hulk.
If comments came back slating space crusade & telling me just how awesome space hulk is, then naturaly i would save a little and purchase the dearer space hulk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

You can't go wrong with either, but for your situation, I'd recommend Space Crusade. It's more forgiving and scales to four players. It's the sci-fi version of HeroQuest. If you like it, look into Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel as another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
you can get more mileage out of Crusade as a pure 40k dungeon crawl and there are plenty home brew rules to convert any 40k model to crusade (look up rules crusade)

my suggestion would be to snatch up the crusade set(s) you are eye balling and keep an eye out for any 1st or second ed space hulks that show up ... certainly there's a cheaper way to get into SH - becuase it is a worthy game to have as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely space crusade.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ted, Gregg & Pauli,
i am definately going to pick up space crusade and look into the other suggestions.
thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i would recooment hero quest over space crusade personally, its the game i have more fond memories of as a child, space crusade is more complex to play and lacks the asthetics of the furniture to get your imagination flowing. Both are good games if you have young children but heroquest is the better game for younger players to play especially if you get the whole family playing. No doubt your son would enjoy space crusade more if he was a teenager but pre teen i think heroquest is the better buy.

considering the relatively cheap price of both, i would get both heroquest and space crusade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.