Hide
10 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » Rules

Subject: Archers - stalwart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Can archers be stalwart and counterstrike melee attacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The regular archers from the core set can be stalwart and counter attack, becouse they are allowed attacks at range 1.

The kennelmaster can do it becouse he has an optional meele attack (despite his range of 2+).

Later units can not if their range is set to 2-X (tully longbowmen etc.).

Edit: As always I would recomend Battles of Westeros Complete Corrected Rules, downloading the file and using CTRL+F to search for the keywords that you are thinking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for your quick answer and the link, which helps a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Np, I just happened to be checking BGG sooner then some of the regulars that would have done the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
But they don't have to be stalwart to counter-attack. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically not, but it is the most common way. Other ones may be achieved through special orders or tactics, I can't think of any right now, but I believe it is somehow possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without checking the deck, I think you are right but I think for simplicity most of them (if not all), simply declare your unit to be stalwart for that round or turn.

So yeah, unless something else spells out that they are allowed the counter attack then yes they have to be stalwart to be allowed one.

This makes formations (using several units in mutual support) so important and flanking (attacking the weak link in that chain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. E.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wait, I'm getting confused here. I though any unit that can counter-attack (aka can attack at range one) can, unless they are engaged with another unit or were forced to retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You got something wrong. Normally units don't have an ability to counterattack. A unit gains this ability when it is stalwart - read the corresponding paragraph in the rulebook again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two diffrent mechanisms that allow a unit to strike someone out of turn.

stalwart will allow it to attack a unit that attacks it back (if it survives the attack).

parting blow will allow a unit to attack a unit thats engaged with it and tries to break the engangement.

Apart from these two situations pointed out above, your units simply dont strike back until they are having their own turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.