Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC Velasquez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Just wondering if it would be better to get
a. two Base sets or
b. one core and the Core Spell Tome

The Core Spell Tome as i understand is essentially like buying just the common cards of the Base set minus the tokens, board and spellbook. Would there be any spells in the Core Spell Tome not in the Base Set? How much would the price point be for this?

How much would a spellbook binder cost as a separate item?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pope
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi JC,

You get a pretty good spell selection with the main game. All of our playtesters have played with a similar selection for months without running out of things to do and tactics to try.

The Core Spell Tome gives you 110 additional copies of spells already in the main game. There are no new spells in it. Its price is set for $19.99. It contians 104 different spells, 1 copy of each spell, and 2 copies of 6 spells. We chose the most common and useful spells in the game.

There are many spells which are "Epic", or "Legendary", or very costly to cast, where you probably only want/need one copy of. We did not include these in the Core Spell Tome.

If you bought 2 main games, that would plenty - 644 spells. However, you'd end up with 2 copies of many spells that are Epic and Legendary, which is redundant. My recommendation would be to just buy one set, and then maybe buy a Core Spell Tome, or trade some spells with a friend who also has the main game.

Individual spell books will be on sale shortly after the game is released. We are working out the details right now. If it works out as expected, you should be able to buy 2 spell books for under $15.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Also, I will post the full spell list for both games shortly, so everyone can see exactly what is included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Bryan, as a follow-up and related question...the Base Set comes with 2 sets of activation markers, etc...one for each Mage.

1) Will either the extra, purchasable spell books contain a different set of activation markers? Or more/different colored dice?

2) Will the Core Spell Tome contain either/both of these?

Thanks in advance for any info. And if details are still being worked out, we all understand. Excitement is hard to contain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great with the reply!

Can you please tell me this:

How big is the grid you move around in in a 1on1 and a 2on2 game?

As in how many movement places so to speak.

Thanks

(Also is their some kind of defend/tank spells which make one unit collect hits or a way to hide behind other units within the same grid space?)

Any good way to get the game in Sweden? Or just wait? =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Velasquez
Philippines
flag msg tools
Thanks for the speedy reply.

So its the Base + Core Spell Tome and additional Spell Books for me then.

I'm looking to play this as a 2v2 game so i wanted more options to customize the first 4 mages without having to run out of the useful cards.
For this set-up im guessing we'd be fighting in just one board.

Also, with more spellbooks we wont have to constantly switch out cards to and from a book. i'm planning to have each mage to have a dedicated spell book. Will have to wait and see if the additional separate books would look diffent from the base set's.

Lastly, i second the concern for the tokens as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Kalidor wrote:

1) Will either the extra, purchasable spell books contain a different set of activation markers? Or more/different colored dice?

No, the spellbooks will be separate from the activation markers and dice. However, we intend on coming out with a 4-player expansion later that will include extra spellbooks, activation markers and dice.

See Bryan's comment below

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9623160#9623160

Kalidor wrote:

2) Will the Core Spell Tome contain either/both of these?

No, the Core Spell Tome will only contain a pre-determined selection of 110 of the most useful and versatile spells from the Mage Wars: Core Set. It will not be random.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/128029/mage-...

Thanks for the questions! Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.