Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick B
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, this is the first thread I've ever posted here at BGG, so sorry if it's a repeat or I am breaking protocol somehow. I did a search of the forums and didn't find anything referencing this particular bit of writing, and I don't know if it's because it hit particularly close to home or what, but I found this article by Robert Florence over at Rock Paper Shotgun to be rather poignant:

Quote:
Every day, on Twitter, I see people talking about pre-ordering stuff. Or maybe they’re backing some new stuff on Kickstarter. Or maybe they picked something up on the way home from work. And it’s more shit. More crap that they already have a lot of. And then I like the look of it, and I buy it too. That’s how we all operate these days. We have too much stuff. Even those of us who don’t have much money have too much stuff these days. We get into debt to buy stuff we don’t need and barely even like. A few years back I was totally skint, struggling to pay bills, and I still bought Halo 2 on launch day, just to share in the experience of having a thing when it first comes out. And it was shit. And another final demand letter went in the post.

What the hell is wrong with us?

When it comes to board games, I have too many. At almost 35 years old, I have about 240 board games. Two hundred and forty. Each of those board games take, on average, about three hours to play. That’s seven hundred and twenty hours. It would take me thirty days of my life to play all of those games once, if I had some sort of magical android setting them up for me in a giant room with twenty tables. Thirty days of my life to scratch the surface of all of those games. There comes a point when you have to step back and ask yourself if you are some sort of decadent monster, or a total fucking idiot.

Last year I bought my first house, and the moving process always reminds me of just how easy it is to accumulate crap. Since then, I've been on a bit of a crusade to get rid of things I don't really use or need, but there's still a good bit of clutter left. Last year around the same time, I also got into the board game hobby, so my desire to rid of my life of stuff has clashed with my desire to play all of these awesome games I am discovering. Combine all of this with the fact that I have been somewhat obsessed with paying off my existing debt (student/auto loans, mortgage, etc) and it all adds up to one big pile of cognitive dissonance.

I also used to play a lot of video games, but in the last few years my time for that has really been cut down. That hasn't stopped me from checking the Steam summer sale daily for good deals, though; I really have a hard time resisting good deals. I will probably get a game or two today since it is the last day of the sale, and I will probably not spend more than $10. When it comes to board games, I have three Kickstarter games coming to me later this year, and while I am kind of dreading their arrival I definitely don't regret helping to fund them. Still, I have more games than I will EVER have time to play. I have more books than I will ever have time to read. At what point is enough enough?

Every day on BGG I see people who are selling off games that have barely been played or are still in the shrink wrap (myself included!), have huge collections of games, or are just trying to pare down their collections to a more reasonable number. Anyone else feel like they are at a point in their life where they just don't need anything else? Are you maybe like me, where you feel this way and are making a concerted effort to get rid of stuff, but you just keep getting new things anyways?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope I have the ultimate defence, I am a tight git. As such I only buy stuff when it's cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greed Incorporated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
George Carlin lives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've spent this year drastically reducing the number of games I own (both board & video). I've gotten rid of some middling/average games for sure that I shouldn't have bought. I've gotten rid of /good/ to great games too, some of which I enjoyed but realised I'd never likely get *my* copy to the table. So why own it?

I haven't stopped buying or trading, but I'm much pickier. I got a nice big collection of PitchCar from selling some LCGs, for example, and it's been my best gaming purchase in quite a while.

There's just too many games & too little time, and at this point, I don't want my games owning me. I want to own, and play, them.

I'm failing at the play part BTW for now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katzebar wrote:
I don't understand why people amass collections like that. I almost can't stomach the idea of a boardgame purchase if I haven't tired of one I own or have a vacancy in a certain genre, playtime, or complexity level.

I think it's a mad combination of "the collector" and "cult of the new". I myself have got more than I need right now, but I've been playing for over twenty-five years and have played many of them quite a lot. I've definitely slowed down on the purchases of newer stuff though, and the idea of owning hundreds or even thousands of titles just seems crazy, especially if I were relatively new to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
[q="Katzebar"]I don't understand why people amass collections like that. I almost can't stomach the idea of a boardgame purchase if I haven't tired of one I own or have a vacancy in a certain genre, playtime, or complexity level.

I remember researching the accumulation of "stuff" a few years ago for a discussion group. Found some interesting psychological insights equating purchases as an unhappiness with a person's current life and the object as part of a desired identity or perceived better lifestyle. Hadn't thought of that since, but I got to tell you, it rings true for me at tis stage of my life.

I belong to the thrifter's guild and am amazed how many games some of them buy per WEEK. Some are into reselling, but that can't account for someone owning six copies of some game ranked in the 7000s. When I go to Goodwill, I always see old people who look like they are just killing time, wasting what time they have left.

Could game hoarding be an unfufilled desire for the human interaction missing from our modern lives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to over expand games that I know are good but I dont play alot... Descent is a good example of this. With the time it takes to play one scenario and the fact that I have only played the first one a few times (as well as a campaign), I really didnt need to buy everything else that camout out for it (3 big expansions and 2 campaigns).

Arkham Horror, is an exception, I feel justified in buying that becouse I do play that game more then most (and it also works solo). Still I have barely touched the last big expansion (to much choice).

I stopped myself from buying Brood Wars for Starcraft and Banners of War for Runewars. I feel so good about that. In Runewars case, I like it alot but it somehow never gets played (something else always gets picked).... one day I might cave in.. but that day is not today.

Having bought a bunch of semi random games on sale, I am now alarmed by the space unusued games take up in my home. So I have slowed down a bit.

Board gaming is a great hobby, its easy to get overly passionate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you are talking about all around me and kinda get a chuckle at watching other people try to keep up.

I'm very selective in my pursuits. I read a book here and there from a favorite author and generally won't jump to another author until I've finished my current series or feel I've fully explored the author's writing style. I hold myself to one big boardgame purchase a year. And I find that even with my very modest collection, I still would like to explore the games I have much more before making another purchase. I will not be making my big purchase this year. I quit video games a long time ago. Never liked the first person shooter games and the games really worth playing just...take...too...damn... much...time. I can do several other activities (many of which are more social) for the time invested in that one video game.

This selective process has carried over to my finances too. My wife & I did not fall off the deep end and purchase a house for the amount the bank approved us for. We took the time to look at the numbers and made a reasonable purchase. We also do not have credit card debt because we pace ourselves when it comes to big purchases. Even with pacing ourselves, we find we still need to 'purge' ourselves every once in awhile of stuff we just don't need or want anymore.

It takes some willpower to resist the urge to 'keep up with the Jones'. Every once and awhile my wife and I feel the pressure to purchase something (you name it), but once we see news articles about people or see neighbors struggle to pay their mortgage and credit card debit, we think twice. Unfortunately many people can't resist the urge and they just keep collecting stuff and probably too much debt too! IMHO the current financial situation has forced many people to rethink the stuff collecting lifestyle. On BBG, I have noticed an increase in the number of posts where gamers are selling off a significant portion of their collection for one reason or another.

IMHO we will never get to a point in our lives where we feel we don't need anything else. There will always be new stuff that is better and your current stuff just wears out and breaks down. For example, appliances are continually becoming more energy (and water) efficient, computers are faster and more powerful, and cars are more fuel efficient and safer. I recently replaced old, still functioning appliances with newer more efficient models. Another example: I had resisted the big flat screen tv craze for awhile but, decided it was finally time to replace the tube screen tvs with the newer, better technology. Your post above says you're aware that the stuff collecting lifestyle can be a problem, but it also sounds like you have taken steps to mitigate this potential problem. Take heart, know that there are people like you that feel the same way, and IMHO, you also seem like you're on the right track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what I call the economy of someday. "Someday, I will get to play this" and yet you never do. Steam sales are notorious for people buying mass amounts of games that they never play. When I got back into board gaming, I mass horded games using the Jones theory. Now, it takes me a lot before I will consider a game. It can't simply be considered a great game. What's the theme and mechanics? Do I already have those covered in other games? Is this game so worthy of being added that it will by default mean I play other favorites less? In the end, I just tend to think I would rather play what I have if for no other reason I already know how to play those games and it saves me from learning something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Armstrong
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have less than 50 games.
But I obsess over reading reviews,previews and session reports.
(plus dabbling in design)
But the way I rationalize it, is I actually have very few
opportunities to game face to face with friends. Once every
2 months maybe.
So I want to have the best game available for the whatever
the combination of mood, friends, time, game level of people etc...

That way I maximize my precious actual gaming time.

So how much is too much? to me it depends on how much coverage
of those variables I want to have. I feel my 50 games has me
covered for 90% of my situations. I feel the ROI to perhaps
go to 100 games so I have 99% coverage isn't worth it.

DN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to like to play 3-4 hr games ... but only occasionally now.

My collection consists mostly of games that play in under 1 hour. So I guess I could play most of my games in far fewer hours than someone with a heavy Euro collection.

Nontheless ... 239 games is quite a few and I am now in the process of trying to prune things down a little.

Most good games hold their value suprisingly well ... so if you have room to keep them and the patience to sell them ... I don't think you'd lose much money on them long-term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When it comes to board games, I have too many. At almost 35 years old, I have about 240 board games. Two hundred and forty. Each of those board games take, on average, about three hours to play. That’s seven hundred and twenty hours. It would take me thirty days of my life to play all of those games once, if I had some sort of magical android setting them up for me in a giant room with twenty tables. Thirty days of my life to scratch the surface of all of those games. There comes a point when you have to step back and ask yourself if you are some sort of decadent monster, or a total fucking idiot.

Originally I was going to note that the "total fucking idiot" was the person writing that posting, making a presumption that whatever thought process applies to them should apply to everyone. But on drafting this post I realized that he was posing a rhetorical question rather than making an indictment of all gamers with large collections.

I currently have over 2600 games in my collection. Note the word "collection". I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Should everyone strive for that many or even more? Hardly. It all depends on your motivations. I used to collect stamps as a kid and probably have over 10,000 stamps and sets from around the world, some very valuable. I liked the images they portrayed and it was fun to see what values from around the globe made it onto a national medium. But at some point I lost interest because they didn't engage me enough anymore. Somewhere along the line I also started playing board games and slowly a "collection" amassed. It wasn't my intent to have that big a collection I was fortunate to be able to support it for my own reasons. Again, my reasons probably wouldn't be the same as yours or even the writer of the post you quoted. Some people sink money into a classic car or cars, some burn through tons of cash on an addictive smoking or drug habit, and others may collect expensive figurines, shoes, or coins with their collection numbering in the thousands of items. Maybe they display some and keep some packed away, or in the case of shoes never even wear them or wear them only once. I'm not going to go into the psychology of collecting, hoarding, or addictive behavior. I'm simply pointing out that it's a personal choice. I collect them because I'm passionate about them and I'm fortunate that I'll even get around to playing a lot of them.

So if you're comfortable with a large collection, or uncomfortable with the size your collection is becoming, do what's right for you. If that means only playing games that you've already tried, or vowing to play games a minimum number of times before getting a new one then go for it. However, if you do plan to "collect" board games, as a collector, I will offer this one critical piece of advise you should heed: DO NOT COLLECT THEM AS AN INVESTMENT! I won't elaborate on that so just take my word for it.

And who knows, but possibly somewhere along the line of amassing my game collection, I may have even though to myself that I was the "TFI" for continuing along the road I was on.

Cheers and happy gaming. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have way too much stuff.

But as long as my house (and my bank account) is big enough I don't see a problem here. I would never ever go into debt just because of a board game or any other luxury article.

My wife and I, we can afford all the things we need - for us and our children. I don't need a big car and I need not to have always the newest smart phone. The money, that is left, is spent for our hobbies. In my case, games.

There is definitely nothing wrong with that. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How much is too much?

Much too much, but lets recall Obelix the Gaul said he never knew anyone could be too fat.

Gamers' house removal costs double every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have way too many games, but currently they don't pose a huge problem. About a year or two ago, when weird Japanese board/card games started pouring in, I realized that my collection of games wasn't just something for me to toy with, it was also a heritage and a collection like a family library was hundreds of years ago: A sift-out of what's out there, and something for everyone, but way too much for just one person.

I'm not very comfy with that size, but I know I'd have a hard time trimming my collection. There are a handful of games (or, say, 20-some) that I could get rid of without blinking much, but to get it to a reasonable size (say, some 50 games) would be painful.

Recently, I've developed this endorphic joy of getting rid of stuff, though, so maybe this goes for my board game collection aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your posts! I was curious what type of reaction this thread might get, since an article that says "Hey! We have too many toys!" might not go over so well on a site where people are proud of their massive collections of board games. I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful answers!

I think the main thing that is different between me and some others is that I don't find games to be all that collectible. I mean, I understand the desire to get more games obviously, and I also have a completist streak -- if I own one album by an artist, I tend to want their whole discography. If own one book in a series, I'll want to get all the others. Same goes with games and their expansions. I also get the idea that some games are rare, have awesome components that are really cool just to look at, and are definitely what I would consider works of art in most cases.

All the same, I definitely do not see the value in owning games just to own them. No offense to those who do; we just don't look at our hobby the same way. If I buy a book, the understanding is that I will eventually read that book. If I buy a board game or video game, the understanding is that I will eventually play it. If I'm not, then why did I get it in the first place? What the article writer is trying to say, and the thing that really resonated with me, is that it can be a little upsetting to realize that you are surrounded by options that you might never have enough time to fully explore.

A lot of my desire to de-clutter my life is just my personality. I've always been kind of weird about accumulating stuff. I love getting and trying new things, but at the same time I wish I could just pack all of my belongings into a car and move if I need to. Part of me says, "Listen dude, you're an adult now, adults have things like FURNITURE and you can't just live like some bum college student," but the other part of me misses some of the freedom of just being able to get up and go. For a long time I didn't even want a dog because I feared it would tie me down too much to one place, and now I am married, a home-owner, and have three dogs (and besides the house I couldn't imagine life without them). I love my life, but will always kind of miss the borderline-poverty days of my time at college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbudz wrote:
All the same, I definitely do not see the value in owning games just to own them. No offense to those who do; we just don't look at our hobby the same way. If I buy a book, the understanding is that I will eventually read that book. If I buy a board game or video game, the understanding is that I will eventually play it. If I'm not, then why did I get it in the first place?

I've found that one use for games is that others get to play them. I've brought my comparingly large collection of Japanese games to game cons, thus creating a situation where people can try out games they normally can't find anywhere. Even if it's games I don't play that much personally, I find that is a pretty good way to use the games.

nickbudz wrote:
For a long time I didn't even want a dog because I feared it would tie me down too much to one place

I am completely with you there. I would never get a dog because of this very reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick - I love your Avatar!

I think there are a lot of reasons one might amass a lot of any given thing - books, games, CDs, stamps, etc. While it could be to "collect" or as an "investment", I think usually it just happens - there is a lot more impetus to acquire more than there is to prune the existing, especially when, as somebody else put it, the economics of Someday are working.

For me, the issue with accumulation is the space it requires. Board games take up a ton of space, and that's really the primary reason I prune. I live in a modest house now, and plan on living in a small space in coming years. If space wasn't a consideration, and moving them wasn't an issue, I'd keep all but the ones I genuinely would never want to play.

The same issue presented itself with music, but resolved itself while I was still in my big house phase. Because I can digitize it all, I have a many-thousand CD collection at my fingertips and it takes up virtually no space. If I still needed whole walls to house the CDs and make them accessible, I would be pruning. But since I can sleeve the CDs and put them in semi-permanent storage, while using a music server to make the music available to me, I get the best of both worlds.

Put another way, and to reference the original post - if you remove the "bad" aspects of having enough games to play around the clock for a month, why wouldn't you want that many? I have enough music to not hear the same thing twice in a year, but there is literally no down side to it now, so it's great.

My wife has a bazillion books. When we moved several times in succession, it was a big issue. I got her a Kindle and I'm sure she's bought at least two boxes worth of books since then, but they take up no space and I'll never have to physically move them. Keep as many as you want as long as you want.

As long as games are physical and therefore bulky and heavy, I'll keep my "collection" to a manageable level. The notion of "too many" is a physical and logistic concept, not one of "not enough time" or "am I being too materialistic."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
What gets me is expansions. It's hard to feel that something is complete while there is still stuff out there to buy. It's a really, really hard feeling to escape.

I own quite a few games, but this past few weeks I've added another dozen (I'm having a hard time at home, so there's a link between depression and buying stuff to feel better!) Now I have an incentive to sell off some of the stuff that I haven't played thus far and whittle the collection.

I already picked two expansions for a base game that I don't have (it never arrived in the mail) that are pointless to own. I have a feeling I may one day be parting with the Ravenloft trilogy too, it seems weird to own 3 games that are almost exactly the same.

Still those urges to clean out are way less than the urge to acquire more. More Arkham Horror expansions even though I didn't play these.

About the only way I can stop myself, aside from looking at my empty wallet, is to read bad review after bad review of something, until I get it into my head I won't even like it (thus delaying the purchase of Zombies!!! and Earth Reborn thus far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We recently downsized from 2400 to 1000 sq feet, and in the process shed ourselves of about half of our possessions. I still kept plenty of things that are important to me, but what I'm trying to get rid of are things that are no longer important, but that we kept because of inertia. There's still more to go, with two storage units to go through and pare down. I do try to think very carefully before I buy something new about whether its worth not just the money, but also the space, but I am still buying things that I want.

Expansions are great, because they usually fit in the base game box. Hooray for new stuff that takes no space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
Digren wrote:
Expansions are great, because they usually fit in the base game box. Hooray for new stuff that takes no space!

That's box murder and is illegal in some countries. *calmly pets and soothes shelf of pretty boxes*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
nickbudz wrote:
For a long time I didn't even want a dog because I feared it would tie me down too much to one place

I am completely with you there. I would never get a dog because of this very reason.

This is not a good reason not to get a dog. Seriously. Allergies, or childhood phobias, sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cody_au wrote:
Digren wrote:

That's box murder and is illegal in some countries. *calmly pets and soothes shelf of pretty boxes*

Contents of the expansion box get stuffed into the main box. The expansion box itself gets buried in the back of the attic. That way, you still have it, but it's not taking up any useful space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started by picking up a few random games from clearance sales, thrift stores, etc. It wasn't a big problem because well....I was just starting out and I didn't have the money to plunk down on a mass of $60 games. As the years have gone on though, my collection has grown and the Descent/War of the Ring types have grown more common.

The problem (that many have) is that my closet has a finite amount of shelves, and when you have things like bins of Heroscape (plus lots of terrain) your space becomes the overriding factor in new purchases.

Anyway, I am now at the point where if I want to buy a new game, something has to go, and I have culled most of the dogs already. It is tough, though probably for the best. I was looking at Earth Reborn, which really interests me, but when it came right down to it, the fact that I had no room (and was not willing to bump some of my treasures) put it on the back burner.

I already have a pile of games that are sitting in a pile on the floor, as they have been expunged from their status as "closet worthy". The problem is that many of them aren't great or valued games (many of my early purchases), so they are hard to get rid of (though I should just give them away or something rather than hold out for the $5-$10 I typically ask for). Bottom line...I don't want to add to this pile.

The final kicker is that we have a family room with shelves of kids toys right now. As they get older, their toys change (and start taking up less space) and already in the back of my mind, I am eyeing up those shelves that could be used to house probably 50 more games. It really is a curse in many respects and I shudder to think what will happen in 5 or 6 more years when the youngest is old enough to not need the toy space anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.