tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty tasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's divide this thread into two teams: Chefs vs. Dieticians. The former group gets to discuss the aesthetically pleasing presentation, the recipe, and the satisfaction of creating something both tasty and beautiful. The latter group explains every single thing that's wrong with that picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Naan bread. What kind of curry by the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian curry right? It doesn't look like Thai Curry or Japanese curry to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian, yes. I'm a newbie. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube, and took the average...

Chicken
Red/green chilies
Garam masala
Fennel seed
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Mustard seed
Cardamom
Coriander
Chili powder
Cumin
Cinnamon
Cloves
Red onion
Diced tomato

Edit: I used a combination of small amounts of white vinegar, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice to dissolve the spices to marinate the chicken.

Eating it now. It's got great depth of flavor, but isn't very spicy (maybe 2 stars by local standards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
MisterCranky wrote:
Let's divide this thread into two teams: Chefs vs. Dieticians. The former group gets to discuss the aesthetically pleasing presentation.

The fun people vs. the kill-joys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. I eat that sort of meal about five times a week, and as penance I have to go listen to a dietician grouse at me five times a year. It's a fair trade, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

"Naan" means bread. Saying "Naan bread" is not only redundant, but it makes some people hungry for tuna fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"Naan" means bread. Saying "Naan bread" is not only redundant, but it makes some people hungry for tuna fish.

It's also a term in common usage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/naan_86626
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

But it's not really "eloquent," now is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curry rice is one of our favorite family meals. But we just use the Japanese curry base you can buy in the store. It is delicious and one of the few foods that actually is just as good (or better) warmed up then when first made. The consistency improves after spending a night in the fridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

And curry means just "sauce" in Hindi.

So the phrase, "I got curry sauce on my naan bread" is just repetitive and redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

So the phrase, "I got curry sauce on my naan bread" is just repetitive and redundant.

But then - to me - a curry sauce is not curry. Curry sauce is put on something, such as chips (chunky fries) in Britain or sliced wurst in Germany. A curry has something in it - e.g. lamb dhansak, beef madras, chicken vindaloo etc.

I don't think I've ever been in a situation where - by my definition - I've seen curry sauce and naan together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It's our langauge, we will do with it as we please. Don't like it speak German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
Curry rice is one of our favorite family meals. But we just use the Japanese curry base you can buy in the store. It is delicious and one of the few foods that actually is just as good (or better) warmed up then when first made. The consistency improves after spending a night in the fridge.

There's Japanese curry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MFinch wrote:
mister lunch wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

But then - to me - a curry sauce is not curry. Curry sauce is put on something, such as chips (chunky fries) in Britain or sliced wurst in Germany. A curry has something in it - e.g. lamb dhansak, beef madras, chicken vindaloo etc.

I don't think I've ever been in a situation where - by my definition - I've seen curry sauce and naan together.

I don't think any one refers to a vindaloo sauce and chicken, it's a chicken vindaloo. Curry sauce is...a sauce that has a curry flavour. Also I am not sure curry mean sauce, It means a dish made in a certain way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

If I don't like you, does that make you German?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

If I don't like you, does that make you German?

No, I am not a language, also how dose this apply to what I have written, I said if you don't like the way we use English then speak German. I really fail, to see how this is hard to fathom out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Edit: I used a combination of small amounts of white vinegar, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice to dissolve the spices to marinate the chicken.

Pro-tip 1:
A lot of spices dissolve better in oil than in water. Try using a little ghee (authentic) or some low-flavour cooking oil for the marinade (instead of vinegars).

Pro-Tip 2:
Do not add the garam masala until the dish is complete. Stir in 1 teaspoon at the end to freshen up the spice notes.

Pro-Tip 3:
Tarka garnish: very thinly slice a clove of garlic width-wise into paper-thin slices. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee until just smoking. Add the garlic (which will cook immediately) and pour over the dish (it should snap and crackle) Yum!

Pro-Tip 4:
Lassi - the curry antidote: 2:1 mix of cold/ iced water and natural greek yoghurt. Add a couple of drops of rosewater and a teaspoon or two of sugar, and whizz with a blender. Pour and serve. You can eat the hottest curry in the world and one mouthful of this will totally wipe out any burning in the mouth.

Tip 5: Chapatti's are the easiest flat-breads to make, just chapatti flour and water, no rising needed, 30 seconds in a HOT dry pan. You can whip up a mess 'o' chapattis in minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
... and if you really want to go the whole hog: buy your spices whole. They last longer, and you roast and grind (I use a coffee grinder) them fresh for each dish. The difference is marked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I messed up. It's Tamil not Hindi.

Wikipeidia wrote:
Curry was adopted and anglicised from the Tamil word kari (கறி) meaning 'sauce',

Language is fluid, but pedantry is fun and exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I make Thai curries all the time at home. Never had any Indian curries, but that looks really good. I can give you a great recipe for an amazing Thai green curry if you're interested in trying one from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
ekted wrote:

Pro-tip 1:
A lot of spices dissolve better in oil than in water. Try using a little ghee (authentic) or some low-flavour cooking oil for the marinade (instead of vinegars).

thumbsup to this.
It's know as "blooming your spices". I think that adding the powdered spices for 30 seconds in reasonably hot oil, before adding the meat/ veggies adds a world of flavor.

Fenugreek is a common and a nice spice, I find. Add it near the end of cooking since it loses its potency if stewed in sauces for a long time.

Naan can be made at home, BTW. Not as fast as chapatis, but worth the wait in my opinion.
I've had excellent results by following this video. Much better than the ones you can buy in stores. Not quite as good as restaurant naan made in a tandoori oven, though.

The only thing to know about this is that when she says the ingredients, she says baking powder but baking soda comes up on the screen (or vice versa, I forget which): The one to use is Baking Soda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Indian, yes. I'm a newbie. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube, and took the average...

Chicken
Red/green chilies
Garam masala
Fennel seed
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Mustard seed
Cardamom
Coriander
Chili powder
Cumin
Cinnamon
Cloves
Red onion
Diced tomato

Eating it now. It's got great depth of flavor, but isn't very spicy (maybe 2 stars by local standards).

Garam masala is a blend of other spices that are already on your list. It's a handy way to add spices to your dishes without having to buy them all separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.