Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, I am the Atreides player I want my ally to know when a weapon is available in the Bidding Round. Obviously I do not want all the other players to know this. What is the best way to communicate secret information?

I think the rules mention that Allies may discuss strategy secretly at any time. How? Go to a different room and talk? This seems weird and difficult given that you will not be able to see the board. Pass notes? A little middle school. Phone text messages? Not a bad idea unless you accidentally send info to the wrong person, not to mention this would slow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After you make your alliance, take your allies aside and establish signals, just like baseball. Then, each time a card is up for bid, run through the signs like a third-base coach, and hopefully they'll remember that putting your left hand on top of your head means "weapon."

Your enemies will be so busy laughing that they'll forget their own strategy, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
I would say just pass the note. If it is secret movement stuff, then go into the next room (that works for us in Game of Thrones). However, most stuff isn't secret since it is obvious who your enemies and allies are, and alliances are enforced, unlike Game of Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, we just tolerate a fair amount of stepping away from the table. As long as it's not *too* gratuitous, we just accept it as part of the game.

If the Atreides is sharing card info during bidding, we just let him show the cards to whomever he wants. A quick slide of the card across the table, and it's handled. (I suppose some people might not allow this, but it's standard for us.)

As an aside, I think the change in Rex to prohibit private communication of any kind really killed a lot of the diplomacy and strategizing that we enjoy so much in Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
If the Atreides is sharing card info during bidding, we just let him show the cards to whomever he wants. A quick slide of the card across the table, and it's handled. (I suppose some people might not allow this, but it's standard for us.)

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
For example, I am the Atreides player I want my ally to know when a weapon is available in the Bidding Round. Obviously I do not want all the other players to know this. What is the best way to communicate secret information?

I think the rules mention that Allies may discuss strategy secretly at any time. How? Go to a different room and talk? This seems weird and difficult given that you will not be able to see the board. Pass notes? A little middle school. Phone text messages? Not a bad idea unless you accidentally send info to the wrong person, not to mention this would slow things down.

The rules expressly provide that allies can hold secret discussions XII.E.2. That being so, as Tempus says you might as well allow Atreides to slip the cards over facedown prior to bidding. Or, if Atreides prefers to force others to trust his word, then per the rules allies can request a private conference. Written notes also works fine, and FWIW if you're playing Atreides it is tactically better to do that than show the cards.

NB: Before passing info Atreides should seek to elicit from allies a simple deal reading something like 'Any information I receive from Atreides will not be passed on to any other player, unless that information also comes into my possession in some other way (e.g. buying the card or playing a Truthtrance)'. That preserves the value of the information for Atreides, and controls information leakage. Players could cheat the deal, but only through getting into some future alliance that excluded Atreides, assuming two or more players are then happy to deliberately break the game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
lukasaurus wrote:
I would say just pass the note. If it is secret movement stuff, then go into the next room (that works for us in Game of Thrones).

Not to be a bother, but that's actually against the rules in Game of Thrones. Everything in that game must be discussed publicly. I suppose that's to simulate all the spies the Houses have working for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalamarth wrote:
Not to be a bother, but that's actually against the rules in Game of Thrones. Everything in that game must be discussed publicly. I suppose that's to simulate all the spies the Houses have working for them.

Or to expedite the game, because secret discussions slow the game down. FFG forbids secret discussions in most of its more recent games. We usually ignore that rule because it makes the game more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Disgustipater wrote:
Dalamarth wrote:

Or to expedite the game, because secret discussions slow the game down. FFG forbids secret discussions in most of its more recent games. We usually ignore that rule because it makes the game more fun.

Either way, it works well for that game. Alliances are extremely fickle things, and you never know if what someone publicly says is the truth or not.

Whereas in Dune, public revelations are required by the game to be truthful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.